•  
Advertise here

Warranty applicable for offroad damages?

1 hour ago, Jerry Han said:

Hi, I am new to UAE and offroad driving.  Does car warranties here in general cover damages as a result of sand dune bashing?

Welcome @Jerry Han, first if it's caused by accident, the Insurance will cover it, especially if car is still under mortgage the first 3 years have to be Agency Repair, so in any case it will be repaired by the Agency.

Second if it happens after the accident & repairs, the general answer is "It Depends" as usually they will first raise it for approval. Some magic happens in the backend and then you'll find out 😄 But lemme tell you my story: my Nissan Patrol 2019 is still under warranty for 3 years, when the windows could only come down but never go back up (regulator or motor issue), first they asked "Didn't you have offroad accident before?" To which I replied, "Yes but the car is still under warranty" 😊 And then later I got new regulators for all my 4 windows 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Very important and valid question @Jerry Han.

Quick answer: YES, but it depends on how well you can talk, communicate and push it.

Long Answer: Technically all off-road worthy cars (Incl. your Pajero) should honor warranty if something stops working while off-roading within the warranty period. This excludes the accidents, for which you need to have an off-road insurance (separate topic). But often times, many dealers service advisors try (first attempt) to scare customers by saying oh you took it to the desert.....! These service advisors are probably trained to scare customers like that, so that customers sub-consciously thinks that desert related failures aren't covered in the warranty.

At this time, you need to stand strong and say, please show me in writing the warranty clause where it says that certain failure will not be covered if I take my car to the desert. Success rate: 50%

Last trump card: If they still dishonor the warranty with all reasonable talks and deny all arguments. Ask them to provide this same excuse in writing, so that you can take this matter to consumer right and plus Mitsubishi Japan. Success rate: over 90%.

In last 10% scenario you genuinely can't do anything OR parent company (Mitsubishi Japan) covers that failure in a goodwill warranty even if its not covered for other customers - remote but possible chance.

Example: My friend Nissan patrol failed a differential twice, they changed it in warranty and dishonor for the third time as my friend was running bigger tires. He wrote to Nissan Japan and they offered a goodwill warranty but made it clear that this is the last time we are replacing the differential due to use of bigger tires.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

So if bumper damage while sand dune bashing, do you think it will be covered under warranty? I know this is a cheap repair if done it myself, but i just want to know if such damages will be covered? Say for example, if i damage other parts under the carriage.

• Like (+1) 1