•  

COVID19 Compliant - Absolute Newbie Desert Drive - Al Qudra - Dubai - 11 Jun 2021

Chaitanya D

12 hours ago, Neil Jarman said:

Complete newbie. I bought my 95 Jeep Wrangler a week ago and i'm still working out/remembering how stuff works and tbh i'm a little bit afraid to drive for fear of damaging it but i think it looks great in the car port.

i have a compressor/deflator but no flag or radio. I have the clearance, the tow bars;  I've totally agreed to the COVID post; and i'll also put my hands up to being mechanically challenged. 

Welcome @Neil Jarman it's great to have a fellow driver with a 90's car. We are a rare breed. The YJ and that too with a manual transmission is an extremely capable offroader, so you will have loads of fun.

Just be sure that with a manual transmission, you don't use a half clutch. You might get away without burning it on the road, but on the sand it can be unforgiving. On the sand, the clutch is either fully engaged or disengaged even if the engine keeps stalling. You will get used to it. And when instructed by the senior members in certain situations it would be better to put it in 4Lo to get the car out of the situation. That helps prevent the car stalling at low rpm.

Good luck!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

56 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Welcome @Neil Jarman it's great to have a fellow driver with a 90's car. We are a rare breed. The YJ and that too with a manual transmission is an extremely capable offroader, so you will have loads of fun.

Just be sure that with a manual transmission, you don't use a half clutch. You might get away without burning it on the road, but on the sand it can be unforgiving. On the sand, the clutch is either fully engaged or disengaged even if the engine keeps stalling. You will get used to it. And when instructed by the senior members in certain situations it would be better to put it in 4Lo to get the car out of the situation. That helps prevent the car stalling at low rpm.

Good luck!!

Very important point mentioned by @Srikumar to not to use "Half-Clutch" in sand.

To explain more, half-clutch on road seems more responsive, but on sand as you don't get the precise feel you tend to overdo and burn the clutch within 5 min of self recovery attempt.

In such scenario you can using the manual gear (real advantage) to jerk the car and let it stall few times when you practice this and master. This is how exactly you can create a super awesome jerk for self recovery:

• Engage in LO gear
  • Put gear on first
  • With clutch fully pressed, rev up to 2k rpm in short burst (practice the burst).
  • Now quickly release the clutch fully and press again.
  • GOLDEN KEY: You should release the clutch fully, when rev drops from 2K to 1K RPM and before rev drops to 750 RPM press the clutch again and rev up to 2K to keep repeating this.

This way clutch will be fully engaged always and cause small jerks forward or backward to create a path on which eventually you can drive it out after few minutes.

22 minutes ago, Clay Neddo said:

Hello! I have a question or two about fuel.

Do we need too fill up nearby before the meet? Or will jyst above 3/4 of a tank be enough?

I assume last exit Al Qudra is the closest place to fuele up?

Yes nearest fuel station is at Last Exit and 3 quarter of Pajero fuel tank will be sufficient for absolute newbie drive.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

Good luck!!

Thank you for the tip and please keep them coming. Remembering the clutch at all is an achievement right now and it's bringing back memories of driving/lcrunching my way around an industrial estate in an Austin Allegro when i first learned to drive!

• Like (+1) 2

Dear friends @sachin suvarna, @Simon Ducos, @Haris Javed @Vikas Bhatia @Marwan Haddad @Roy Dsouza @hasan hamadeh

Please open the below link and agree to follow the COVID precautions - Mandatory, without which you will not be allowed to drive

COVID19 PRECAUTIONS 2.0 - Discussions - Carnity.com

Open Link

Go to First Message and read 

Click the two thumbs up icon , after reading the precautions to be followed.

I see @Roy Armale, @Neil Jarman, @Clay Neddo and @arjumand have done it , Thank you.

Thanks @Gaurav and @Srikumar for advise on Clutch use in manual cars. @Neil Jarman now you have a close buddy with tons of info and drives a Jeep XJ. The difference being only X to Y🤣

Convoy list will Follow shortly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Dear friends ,

Please note the convoy list for tomorrows drive below.

Ensure you have read and agreed to Covid precautions,  if not no drive. Thanks to all those who have done it already. 

Please ensure you arrive well in time so that we seniors at Carnity - myself, @Lorenzo Candelpergher and @Brette will personally check all the mandatory requirements for your cars and then guide you all in deflation and getting your cars prepped for what will be a wonderful start to your desert adventures in a covid safemanner. Ensure you step out of your cars with masks and keep social distance. Welcome 🙏

Please note some of you have nil, some little, some good and some excellent knowledge of offroading and hence considering a group/convoy we all have to get down to the level of the person driving with "nil" knowledge. Please be patient for a detailed discussion on safe practices, for recoveries and learning together. At Carnity it is always a team sport and we all - as much as we can - go in and out together. 

While we all are into this as a hobby , we are not certified mechanics and will advise you what to do the best of our knowledge- unbiased, in case if we have any situation which is beyond our control. It has happened very very rarely, so lets not really worry of that as of now.

Bring your off - road gears - whatever you have in terms of deflator, flag, suction cups, radio , compressor, shovel and a Radio. The most important being compressor as the air compressor at Last exit is generally out of order or extremely super slow.

I will be waiting exactly at the location shared - in a Black Xterra with hazard lights on, watch out for this old Car .

Lorenzo with his Black Rubicon will be a bit further up into the dirt track from where we will actually have a briefing and start off the drive.

image.png.34c48893f2b8b86d12588b7fb4c77f04.png

We will use Chanel 1 for Radio coms

My contact number in case if you need is 0529970964.

See you all tomorrow

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 6/6/2021 at 4:16 PM, Chaitanya D said:

Welcome to Carnity Off-Road Club  dear friends

@hasan hamadeh @arjumand @Haris Javed @Clay Neddo 

@sachin suvarna @Simon Ducos @Roy Armale @Marwan Haddad

@Vikas Bhatia @Roy Dsouza

In preparation for this drive, it is important that you inform us if:

• you have any prior off-road experience
  • your vehicle has front and rear tow hooks / eyelets in good working condition.

Before the drive, you will need to have viewed the introductory video (link above) and to have gone through the COVID19 precautions and agreed by clicking on the "totally agree" emoji at the bottom of the text in the following link : 

Please also make sure you are equipped with a tire deflator and a tire pressure gauge (sometimes they are all in one tool). You will need these. If you have an off-road flag as well that would be great. In case you do not have a flag mount on your car, you may look for a flag with suction cups, which can be easily placed on one of the rear windows. If you have your own air compressor, please bring it along. All these items should be available at any ACE or Speedex store, as well as at Dragon Mart.    More information below

Essential Off-Road Gear - Off-road - Carnity.com

A radio is preferable to have, if not we will provide you with a spare radio - this is only for the first absolute newbie drive. You might as well get one if you wish - Baofeng UV5R from dragon mart online is bang for the bucks you pay. More information on programming the channels below

Carnity Two-Way Radio Frequencies - Off-road - Carnity.com

Regarding the area of the drive, we will access the desert from a less used entry point, along the road going from Qudra Parking (where you can use the ADNOC gas station to fill up your tank), toward the Bab al Shams Resort. Follow carefully the Google Maps directions: once you turn off the tarmac road (after circling a roundabout next to a mosque), you will cross an opening through roadworks being done along the bike track. Once arrived at the meeting point, we'll conduct a final inspection of your cars (sufficient clearance and accessible tow points are a must). Following a technical briefing, we'll be ready to enter the dunes, and start your off-roading adventure. This area is rarely used by other clubs, and the sand is much cleaner and smoother, so this is an ideal ground to move your first steps in the desert.

For further questions, please contact me on this thread by tagging me as @Chaitanya D. We will have @Lorenzo Candelpergher along with me helping/guiding you on your first adventure in the sands.

In the meantime, have a great week!

Hi @Chaitanya D this is Simon’s father (Rodolfo), since I don’t see his reply, I’ll answer for him so you can prepare the drive:

it will be his first Off Road drive and the car has all the tow points required.

I’ll accompany him during the drive

Thanks

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chaitanya D said:

Dear friends ,

@Chaitanya DPlease note the convoy list for tomorrows drive below.

Ensure you have read and agreed to Covid precautions,  if not no drive. Thanks to all those who have done it already. 

Please ensure you arrive well in time so that we seniors at Carnity - myself, @Lorenzo Candelpergher and @Brette will personally check all the mandatory requirements for your cars and then guide you all in deflation and getting your cars prepped for what will be a wonderful start to your desert adventures in a covid safemanner. Ensure you step out of your cars with masks and keep social distance. Welcome 🙏

Please note some of you have nil, some little, some good and some excellent knowledge of offroading and hence considering a group/convoy we all have to get down to the level of the person driving with "nil" knowledge. Please be patient for a detailed discussion on safe practices, for recoveries and learning together. At Carnity it is always a team sport and we all - as much as we can - go in and out together. 

While we all are into this as a hobby , we are not certified mechanics and will advise you what to do the best of our knowledge- unbiased, in case if we have any situation which is beyond our control. It has happened very very rarely, so lets not really worry of that as of now.

Bring your off - road gears - whatever you have in terms of deflator, flag, suction cups, radio , compressor, shovel and a Radio. The most important being compressor as the air compressor at Last exit is generally out of order or extremely super slow.

I will be waiting exactly at the location shared - in a Black Xterra with hazard lights on, watch out for this old Car .

Lorenzo with his Black Rubicon will be a bit further up into the dirt track from where we will actually have a briefing and start off the drive.

image.png.34c48893f2b8b86d12588b7fb4c77f04.png

We will use Chanel 1 for Radio coms

My contact number in case if you need is 0529970964.

See you all tomorrow

I took the YJ out a little earlier this evening and even though this is the newbie drive and i don't want to be the last minute cancel guy, I just need some (more) driving time to not be the pain in the convoy guy tomorrow. I'm also kinda hoping that SImon's Dad might be available to borrow at the next drive?! 

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use