•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - The Sweihan Switcheroo - Abu Dhabi - 11 Jun 2021

Frederic

9 hours ago, Frederic said:

As we are preparing and looking forward to tomorrows' drive, let me start with the draft convoy setup:

1) Frederic         -         Pajero SWB Blue    -   Crew @Frederic

2) Mustafa        -         Pajero LWB - Fewbie+ @Mus_hus78

3) Anoop          -    Jeep Wrangler -    Fewbie  @Anoop Nair

4) Karthikeyan   -   Toyota Landcruiser - Fewbie @Karthikeyan Govindarajan

5) Zed                -   Toyota Landcruiser - Fewbie  @Zed

6) Xavier             -   Nissan Xterra - Fewbie+ @Xavier Treasurer

7) Hasan             - Toyota Landcruiser - Fewbie @Hasan Wahlan

8 ) Werno            - Jeep Wrangler - Fewbie+ @Werno

9) Ruan            - Jeep Wrangler - Fewbie @Ruan van den Heever

10) Farouq          -  Jeep Grand Cherokee - Fewbie @Farouq Owdeh

11) Asif               - Nissan Xterra - Marshal - @Asif Hussain

12) Srikumar - Ancient XJ - Crew @Srikumar

We will be using Channel 2 (446.03125 Mhz).

@Anoop Nair @Werno as you are coming from Dubai, make sure you get the PCR results and the Al Hosn App that shows you have been tested in the last 48 hours.  (it will indicate "PCR negative for 0 days, 1 day, or 2 days, based on when you got the result). 2 days validity is the maximum.

The plan is to explore the area and stretch our legs a bit. Some of you are having quite some Fewbie or even Fewbie+ drives under their belt already, while others will be on their first Fewbie drive. Let's all look out for each other and help each other where needed. The emphasis is always on safety and having a great morning out.

Please do a double-check on your vehicle as well (fluids, filters, battery) as this is a more remote area and we want to avoid having to recover vehicles over a long distance towards the road.

I will have the fantastic support of @Asif Hussain who has done this area earlier this year. 

See you guys tomorrow morning at 04:30. I know it's early (especially for us Dubai folks) but we will make it totally worth it !

The + fell off my name.....but ill drive it back on again 🤣

Thank you Frederic. Remember the Sweihan boys's speedos start at 50km/h

• Haha (+1) 3

UPDATE:

If you are coming from Dubai we suggest to put this meeting point in your GPS: 

ADNOC Service Station | Al Khatam (975)
800 300
https://goo.gl/maps/YEXo1DLjHpWFqpet6

this will recalculate and ensure you are coming from the Left side (E11) 

It seems the right side (from Sweihan) takes us through a private compound road which cannot be used.

@Werno @Anoop Nair 

THE ORIGINAL MEETING POINT REMAINS THE SAME:

Desert Rose Safari Meeting Point
https://goo.gl/maps/HeuxaRo8zKJvVKYG6

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

From the forum, I can see it is gonna be fun n adventurous. I may be unlucky to miss this drive due to some personal commitments tomorrow morning (which is also yet to be confirmed). I m removing myself from this drive for now. Will update the forum, if I am able to join the drive at the last minute. 
@Asif Hussain@Frederic@Srikumar

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Asif Hussain said:

@Mus_hus78 also follow  updated route.. entering from sweihan is not possible.. 

All use the road via KHATAM

I will be using google map let me see where it takes me from al Ain , won’t go towards sweihan, but will come from khatam

just realized this is near Khaznah Desert, oh it's gonna be fun. There's a famous photo opp spot too here 😄https://www.instagram.com/p/CLwMjuQsjdr/?utm_medium=copy_link

Today was quite another experience. Bright and early we ventured to the starting point. Just reaching the location asked some dune bashing to a certain extent. 😄 Half a tar road, half a sand dune.

Deflated, flags up. We thought we would go dune bashing.....🧐 savanna touring instead.

And then the bowl came. What an experience. This was the first time the marshalls let us loose in a proper bowl. And what a feeling it was. Thank you very much. @Asif Hussain took the lead and demonstrated the technique. What follwed was an hour or so of pure exhilirating fun. 

We cut our fun short to asist elsewhere, helping a driver in need. Thank you for allowing me along, and letting me help with fixing a popout. Simply being present tough me a great deal and simply noticing everything happening help grew my experience. Inshallah, I shall never need to use it, not for myself nor for someone else. 

Thank you to all the marahalls for a great morning.

@Frederic thank you for a great lead filled with fun.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

DRIVE REPORT

We all know Sweihan has potential, and lots of it. When I found this area and its coordinates a few weeks back, and came to know later on @Asif Hussain had done something similar earlier this year, we got in touch and and we prepared to start from the Khatim side and make our way to Sweihan and pass through the magnificent tall dunes and bowls. 

The first part of the track, that looked quite nice on my satellite images, ended to be a more technical track with lots of vegetation to my surprise, which meant we had to keep the pace a bit lower. I personally love technical terrain and if this was to be crossed to reach walhalla, so be it !

I was meeting many of the AD guys for the first time. I remember @Srikumar telling me you were a group of dedicated and committed off-roaders that look after each other, and I was glad to see your camaraderie amongst each-other and how well you all worked together during each event. It made the drive absolutely fantastic and more than the terrain it's all about sharing these experiences with like-minded people. 

Upon reaching the first big bowl, called the 360 bowl, @Asif Hussain showed us the ropes and the whole convoy made several fantastic attempts at conquering this monster. We all had great fun and spent a lot of time there. 

During that time we received a call of a situation nearby with our Newbie convoy, where a car had rolled over. After we fixed @Mus_hus78 his pop-out, we quickly exited with the convoy as it was getting too hot to continue and we wanted to meet up with the seniors on the other side of the road to see where we could be of any help.

@Ruan van den Heever and @Mus_hus78 offered their help to join us and together we headed to the other side of the road. We were able to successfully get the vehicle out and I wanted to thank you guys for offering your help !

Thanks to a great convoy, a super support in @Asif Hussain and @Srikumar, we had a blissful morning under the Sweihan sun. We were eager to head to the other bowls, but will keep that for a "Sweihan Switcheroo Part 2" drive soon :) 

See you soon in the sand again !

• Like (+1) 8
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use