•  

COVID19 compliant - Saturday Afternoon Intermediate drive - Area 53 - Sharjah - 12 Jun 2021

@Foxtrot Oscar Thanks for the great drive...I did not escape the refusals, had a couple of mini ones having to stop at awkward positions and in churned up sands while navigating the bowls in the first dune...it is still learning in progress to where to stop when the convoy stops ahead. Allow me to say that your persistence and determination by making approaches from many different routes to get us all across that last but one dune was amazing. This was my first drive with you, lots of learning to achieve the finesse of handling challenges and look forward to more...Yalla Yalla!! 

@Alexander Alcala Following you made it easy for me to copy paste! and make it through the challenging ones...thanks. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

2 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

@Abu Muhammad – I think just a couple of refusals and the last one, a crest, wasn’t picked up on the walkie talkie. These things happen, sure I myself got stuck on the most innocuous dune after coming back across to help you.

Thanks for great fun drive @Foxtrot Oscaras far as I remember I had only one refusal which was that crest, unfortunately had to stop to make it safe for everyone else as there refusals in front and cars were everywhere. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

My Comments.

Beautilful place.  Great dunes.  Thank you @Foxtrot Oscar for the route selection.  We started ok while in the low dunes, but it was immediately apparent that the tall dunes will be a challenge for some of us.  This level requires 100% of concentration and "commitment" when approaching the dune.  If one hesitate when climbing a tall dune on soft sand, the inevitable consequence will be a refusal or getting stuck.

I would suggest that those that strugled the most, take the time to do some Fewbie+ drives to gain some more practice on less challenging terrains.

Another thing I noticed was about Radio Communication.  When one has a refusal the convoy needs to know to prepare.  On tall dunes with big bowls and crowded areas, is very easy to lose the track in front of you when you get a refusal.  If you don't announce it the convoy will get split forcing some additional maneuvers to rescue those stranded.  During the night that is even more relevant.

On the other hand, it was fun to do some of the rescues.  Only the shoveling at 49 degrees was not so much fun. And while Angela went for the rescue of the separated tail of the convoy, I had an amazing view of the crescent moon.  It was absolutely stunning.  I enjoy very much to drive at night in the dessert.  And the moon was a nice touch.

Thank you all for your camaraderie.  I hope to see you soon on the dunes.

P.S. I forgot tho thank @Shehab Alawadhi for his support on the big Ram pop-out.  I normally don't have to deal with those.

Edited by Alexander Alcala
  • Like (+1) 6

47 minutes ago, Alexander Alcala said:

I had an amazing view of the crescent moon.  It was absolutely stunning.  I enjoy very much to drive at night in the dessert.  And the moon was a nice touch.

DB1FD1FF-486C-42DE-A040-0642DC703E1B.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

So Pajero steals the show 🙃 and remains in the lime light, but this time not for good reasons of course. 

Thank you everybody for the support and for the patience. Most importantly, keeping your cool in this hot weather.

@Foxtrot Oscar the track was amazing, tricky  AND TALL DUNES WERE CHALLENGING (for MY PAJERO) but ya love the stuff where i can test the limits of my Stock 3.0 ltr Pajero. Believe u me, i was literally pushing the padel like anything to the floor. Unfortunately,  climbing the tall and straight dunes is not my car^s strength. The moment it looses the momentum due to any reason, it looses the power and struggle to make it to the top. Anyhow, learning and polishing my skills to the core to get most of my stock Pajero.

@Shehab Alawadhi and @Arman thank you guys. You were superb.

@Alexander Alcala Thank you for the advise, not sure about others but i keep on mixing my level of drives to gain the confidence and to learn the techniques to handle my stock pajero. 

Take care and stay safe.

Cheers. 👍👍🤘

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

5 minutes ago, Rizwan Waheed said:

So Pajero steals the show 🙃 and remains in the lime light, but this time not for good reasons of course. 

Thank you everybody for the support and for the patience. Most importantly, keeping your cool in this hot weather.

@Foxtrot Oscar the track was amazing, tricky  AND TALL DUNES WERE CHALLENGING (for MY PAJERO) but ya love the stuff where i can test the limits of my Stock 3.0 ltr Pajero. Believe u me, i was literally pushing the padel like anything to the floor. Unfortunately,  climbing the tall and straight dunes is not my car^s strength. The moment it looses the momentum due to any reason, it looses the power and struggle to make it to the top. Anyhow, learning and polishing my skills to the core to get most of my stock Pajero.

@Shehab Alawadhi and @Arman thank you guys. You were superb.

@Alexander Alcala Thank you for the advise, not sure about others but i keep on mixing my level of drives to gain the confidence and to learn the techniques to handle my stock pajero. 

Take care and stay safe.

Cheers. 👍👍🤘

well said @Rizwan Waheed. Its really commendable that you reached IM level with a 3.0 Ltr Pajero. That shows your skill. Keep going buddy. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Drive Report

We started off in the low dunes to prepare ourselves for the many challenges that lay ahead. Once we had found our desert wheels we headed in to the tall dunes that spread out in front of us.

So much went on in this drive that its hard to pinpoint one thing. We made it to the top of the first dune, with one refusal, then we had a pop out on @Amir Amiri tank. Well done to @Alexander Alcalaand @Shehab Alawadhifor resolving that. Fixing a pop out on a Ram is no easy task and it took some time to resolve

As the convoy climbed up, one by one, we had another refusal , however we eventually all made it to the top. We swept down and heading to the next challenge . This proved somewhat challenging for @Rizwan Waheed and with a crest and the sand churned up like a clam chowder I decided to reattempt at another point, determined to make sure the convoy got on top of the dunes. We climbed and turned and swept around , with refusals and a distinct lack of convoy discipline as well as some suspect comms, but we were getting there, and I was determined we would find a route that all could manage. We spent some time sweeping around the dunes, not quite making it to the top but we were moving.

With the sun setting and the tourists arriving an extra element of danger was added, this was the only other traffic we saw in these mighty dunes but it meant we had to keep our wits about us. The entire convoy ate up the low level dunes as we powered our way with speed to what would prove to be our last dune and we managed to get up with only one slight refusal, but it was easily resolved and we went flying down the other side, only to hear that 4 cars were still at the base on the other side of a star shaped dune. By now it was pitch black . I went back and found the detached part of the convoy, which was no easy feat , @Shehab Alawadhi climbed one peak and waved his torch in order for me to see him and allowed me to get back to the rest and bring them around.

It was time to exit, even then we still had refusals on low dunes, and the convoy became detached again. This time @Alexander Alcala lit up the sky for the back to see the route. We darted through dunes and made our way to a track which took us to the road.

I’m going to be brutally honest….it’s an IM drive, I didn’t expect so many refusals. In fact, I was shocked . I thought our biggest challenge would be the heat, but we had so many refusals that the cars were able to cool down. I even changed tact to try and get some more drive time.

@Arman – Thank you for your second lead, and excellent driving.

@Jon M – I think just one refusal. Great driving

@Rizwan Waheed – You were too gas shy my friend, this became apparent when you climbed the last dune. We need to floor it to climb these dunes, when you lose momentum , wiggle the wheel, keep pushing it. Don’t get me wrong, it happens to us all from time to time but at IM we know we need to really push our cars, especially in this area. Well done for persevering and finding your groove late on.

@Amir Amiri – You managed most of the challenges, the pop out was unfortunate. Please do keep convoy discipline. I know it’s difficult when the car in front has a refusal, but we can’t keep overtaking. It’s dangerous. That said it was a good drive from you

@Rob H – A frustrating day for you but you did very well to react to what was happening in front of you. I don’t think you had a refusal all day.

@Gok Krish – Same as Rob, you did well to react to what was happening in front. I don’t think you had any refusals either.

@Goutam – a few refusals that weren’t communicated meant the back end of the convoy became detached . You drive well, and I know you self-recover and reattempt without issues, but I need to know if I have to stop the convoy.

@Abu Muhammad – I think just a couple of refusals and the last one, a crest, wasn’t picked up on the walkie talkie. These things happen, sure I myself got stuck on the most innocuous dune after coming back across to help you.

@Shehab Alawadhi – thank you for trying to communicate everything that was happening at the back, for helping with the recoveries and the pop out.

A huge debt of thanks to the support team of @Arman@Shehab Alawadhiand @Alexander Alcala
 you guys did an amazing job in support. 

All in all, it was a challenging day, but these things happen on drives, we never know what will happen out there and that is why we love this sport. Yesterday could have been any one of us, our cars under perform, we have an off day. It happens and we should  always expect the unexpected.

Until the next adventure :) 

@Foxtrot Oscar Thank you for challenging and wonderful drive… Follow the covoy from the back,  I learnt a lot how to handle truck in the deep and soft sand and manage between momentum and power. Look forward to have another great trip with you..

Just now, Dodi Syahdar said:

@Foxtrot Oscar Thank you for challenging and wonderful drive… Follow the covoy from the back,  I learnt a lot how to handle truck in the deep and soft sand and manage between momentum and power. Look forward to have another great trip with you..

Thank also for @Shehab Alawadhi @Alexander Alcala & @Arman for your great support to the convoy.. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use