•  
Advertise here

Nissan Xterra maximum temperature when driving in the sand

Yesterday both myself and my car were sweltering in the summer heat. It goes without saying that we really need to be careful we don't fry our engines out there.  As such I have opened this thread as I came across this useful advice from @sertac in the digital reading thread.

" Don't forget X owners after 110C you will start losing coolant and start damaging your engine. My advice if you see above 100C stop, put the gear on N and give some gas to let the car to circulate coolant. With doing this it is coming down to 93C very quickly. " @sertac

I personally start to freak when it hits 100 and start treating my ReBelle X a little more gently until it comes down again, I also drive with the bonnet on the latch, please note, I know I have a strong latch and it wont go flying in the air (also the bonnet weighs a ton haha) 

• Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

I also drive with the bonnet on the latch, please note, I know I have a strong latch and it wont go flying in the air (also the bonnet weighs a ton haha) 

Lift the bonnet from back with two or three additional nuts as a spacer, that is much safer and efficient to let the engine bay hot air escape easily.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Another option is to switch off your AC once the temps start to creep above 100°C. For me it works fine and lets the temperature drop back to 91-92°C. It's not comfortable of course 😥

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Yes Angela over 110 it’s over the red alarm where rubber starts to mix with metal to form a mixed alloy !!

What I do to cool my X in summer time 

1. I try to avoid day time pushy drives ( it’s me ) and prefer the night drive when ever possible 

2. I never drove on D even in absolute newbie I always keep it on OD ( overdrive ) and on 3 ... for more demanding play between 2 and 3 reserving the 1 for steep stuff be it up or down 

3. I switch off the AC immediately if reaches above 97 degree momentary . 

4 . Keep a look at the digital temp reading on dash . If it hits above 100 I will announce on radio but till now I never announced for it

thats what I do for my stock cooling arrangement which I always keep it maintained on proper time .

That’s  what I do 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Another option is to switch off your AC once the temps start to creep above 100°C. For me it works fine and lets the temperature drop back to 91-92°C. It's not comfortable of course 😥

I should've included that too. I was driving mostly without AC yesterday to keep it under control, but I ran out of water. Note to self, 2l is not enough! haha

• Like (+1) 5

My experience with X heating 

1. Check if your mechanic has installed the stock original Nissan radiator  and caps. All others - for whatever reasons cool less effectively.

2. Play with gears rather than just D

3. Ride on Sabkhas/Flat dunes as soon as it touches 100 - cools quickly with switching off AC

4. Yes No AC, preferably. I don't use AC at all, feels terrible at start but somehow body adjusts in few min ( but its me)

5. Take off the Oil changing window cover in your bash plate, lets in more air for better cooling even though very minor.

6. Plan exits on the drive exactly on time during the day

• Like (+1) 5

Adding electric fans in front of your radiator will definitely help. Usually what they tend to do here is adding two high flow/speed fans in which you can operate them using a switch. they make a huge difference especially to your AC cooling. They might be a bit noisy when turned on but you don't have to worry about the engine overheating. I've read that SPAL fans are one of the best.

Edited by Lawrence_Chehimi
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

41 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Yes, @Fredericon one drive many cars were getting high temperature, upon switching AC off, all were ok

• Like (+1) 2

what i noticed was temperature tend to rise when car is stationary because lack of airflow.   

during last drive it shot about 97C for me. i switched off the A/C and kept the engine rev at 1500 for about 1 min and it came back to 92C very quickly. 

Edited by Rizwanm2
  • Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

My experience with X heating 

1. Check if your mechanic has installed the stock original Nissan radiator  and caps. All others - for whatever reasons cool less effectively.

2. Play with gears rather than just D

3. Ride on Sabkhas/Flat dunes as soon as it touches 100 - cools quickly with switching off AC

4. Yes No AC, preferably. I don't use AC at all, feels terrible at start but somehow body adjusts in few min ( but its me)

5. Take off the Oil changing window cover in your bash plate, lets in more air for better cooling even though very minor.

6. Plan exits on the drive exactly on time during the day

@Chaitanya D my Xterra has same issue. Whatever I did never helped. Changed the complete cooling system including the fan clutch, radiator, all pipes, removed the thermostat valve and made it open. To be frank nothing helped except my wallet got thinner. The atmospheric temperature is so great and is amplified inside the desert. Fixed extra fans also thinking it will help. It didn't help at all except put me in deep trouble yesterday as the battery ran out after forgetting to switch them off after switching off the car. My thoughts are we cannot fight mother earth's moods like we cannot fight gravity. I think  we have to call it quits during day time and do drives when the temperatures drop down like stop the drives before 8.30 am or start one after 5pm. 

Hope @Carnity management discuss this in their committee and come up with a solution. 

• Like (+1) 5

• Gaurav changed the title to Nissan Xterra maximum temperature when driving in the sand