•  
Advertise here

Kill Switches for ABS and Airbag

Christopher Assal

6 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

Of course I know this may not be an acceptable solution for our inconvenience-tolerant Lazyboy gang @Hisham Masaad @Ahab Shamaa @Watteau @Lorenzo Candelpergher @Niki🤣🤣🤣

switching gear @Christopher Assal, when do we get to try the cake?

@Islam Soliman you have no time for cake … fuses don’t plug themselves back in!  Thankfully we are growing our gang one impressionable driver at a time!! Ready for cake at anytime and soon every convoy will have one of us to spread the word and wisdom … corrupting one newbie at a time :) 

• Haha (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Niki said:

@Islam Soliman you have no time for cake … fuses don’t plug themselves back in!  Thankfully we are growing our gang one impressionable driver at a time!! Ready for cake at anytime and soon every convoy will have one of us to spread the word and wisdom … corrupting one newbie at a time :) 

Someone need to quickly come up with a vaccine for this virus before it gets widely spread  🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

add more potential failure points to sensitive systems and if they are not done professionally can lead to unpleasant incidents

Agree for example few who knows how to play it right in Xterra , common problem when not done right is a faulty 4WD system not engaging or disconnect. 

• Like (+1) 2

@Christopher Assal I decided to install a Kill Switch in my car (Nissan Patrol Y61) because:

- ABS would kick in frequently, for example when stopping to maintain distance with the car in front, to avoid an obstacle, when crossing over a crest and heading down a slope, etc.  This scenario led many times to a situation where the ABS light would remain on for a long period even after the drive.

- I used to pull out the ABS fuse, but this would disable the VDC switch, the speedometer and the odometer.

The mechanic who installed the Kill Switch did it in a way that disables ABS only and would not affect the other gauges, he also checked there were no diagnostic trouble codes.  The VDC is something I can control in my car, I feel the car runs better when I disable it, and I only enable it if I am attempting recovery from a stuck in 4H.  In the Patrol when you engage 4L and Diff Lock then ABS and VDC will be disabled by default.

The only fuse I remove is the airbag fuse, because I've heard of cases where the airbag could deploy if there is a frontal hit, and I've had quite a few already during drives.  **Edit: a few frontal hits on the area where the bash plate is mounted 😅, usually the result of a miscalculation, speed, or wrong reading of terrain.

My recommendation is you try, in your next drive, removing the ABS fuse and assess the performance of your car and if there is any effect in the speedometer and odometer, also check what light indicators turn on the dashboard when you disconnect the fuse and when you engage 4L. Depending on what you observe then you take a call whether to install or not a kill switch.

Hope this helps!

20210608_204439.jpg

IMG_20210608_0001.jpg

Edited by Mario Cornejo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

On 6/8/2021 at 8:25 PM, Islam Soliman said:

Someone need to quickly come up with a vaccine for this virus before it gets widely spread  🤣🤣

I am sorry (well actually not) but our friend @Islam Soliman has caught the virus!  He is at early stages however I don’t see a path back for him!  It only took a quick ‘peek’ into @Hisham Masaad trunk and he has been corrupted/infected (even when practicing covid precautions) ..

The pic below, I caught him red handed and he tried to run away from the shot… he still hadn’t individually inflated all his tires and the fuses where still waiting to be refit … instead he was in deep in discussion about Hisham’s gadgets, accessories, trunk of wonders :) 

6030E90A-0A82-4A89-99CC-7E17D00DE101.jpeg.06d7a077ff48b248346ce75fbda9664b.jpeg

let’s see who else will be seduced by Hisham’s trunk of wonders 🤣 

Warm welcome to the club Islam… here for you as you take your first steps to comfort! 

• Haha (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, Niki said:

I am sorry (well actually not) but our friend @Islam Soliman has caught the virus!  He is at early stages however I don’t see a path back for him!  It only took a quick ‘peek’ into @Hisham Masaad trunk and he has been corrupted/infected (even when practicing covid precautions) ..

The pic below, I caught him red handed and he tried to run away from the shot… he still hadn’t individually inflated all his tires and the fuses where still waiting to be refit … instead he was in deep in discussion about Hisham’s gadgets, accessories, trunk of wonders :) 

6030E90A-0A82-4A89-99CC-7E17D00DE101.jpeg.06d7a077ff48b248346ce75fbda9664b.jpeg

let’s see who else will be seduced by Hisham’s trunk of wonders 🤣 

Warm welcome to the club Islam… here for you as you take your first steps to comfort! 

I was actually disappointed with the setup.. didn’t realize that I have to get out of the car to connect the hoses to the 4 ports under each wheel well.. Lazyboy club needs to come up with a better fully automated solution 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use