•  

COVID19 Compliant - Fewbie Morning Desert Drive - 2500RPM Qudra - Dubai - 25 Jun 2021

Wrangeld

Dear Desernauts

Here is the planned convoy for tomorrow morning. @Gaurav Soni @PaoloMaraziti @Adhir Saxena @Watteau @Serafino @Nihal17 @Anand Nataraj @Christopher Assal @Tareck @varunmehndiratta @Janarthan

image.png.773329b807c1104469a0bedf05212196.png

We are lucky, as ever to have a high proportion of intermediates to guide the fewbies and assist with any stucks and recoveries along the way. 

As you will all see from the starting point, I want to get inside the dunes as quickly as possible so we will deflate as close to the entry point as we can. [Anyone concerned about or wanting to put a km count on the drive, feel free to start your navigation from the start of the sabkah] 

From here we are straight into some nice wide long range dunes which will lead us to a technical section and then some lovely rolling dunes where we will spaghetti our way back to the Solar Park complex and eventually find out direction to Last Exit. 

What do I think are the key risk areas for the drive?

• Pop outs - no doubt a few of you are already thinking that you would like to lower your PSI to accommodate for the lower power. Great idea, but that increases the risks of pop outs.
  • Insufficient power to get out of stucks - maybe. 
  • Staying at 2500 reduces the adrenalin to a trickle - we will have to address that as it comes. 

Looking forward to seeing you all in the morning. 

See you soon in the sand. 

Radio Channel 3

• Like (+1) 5

On 6/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, Wrangeld said:

Dear DesertnautsUAE,

The wait is almost over, We are at Wednesday and it is looking increasingly like the convoy positions are fixed (in my mind at least) from which everyone will be able to start their thinking more strategically about how this drive is going to work out. 

A little homework if you will. It would be good to set one benchmark across the drivers, just so that we can all understand what 2500RPM looks like in our cars. For instance, at 2500RPM in top gear (2WD) I am travelling at around 106kph. I imagine that for @Watteau in the Raptor, 2500RPM in top gear would even scare the speed cameras in Abu Dhabi - but maybe I am wrong.

If you have time, before now and the drive, please make a note of your metrics on this. The other measurement that it would be good to understand from everyone before we start is the PSI on which you have chosen to run for this drive. [I am assuming that you have a PSI that you normally choose and it may be this, but offering flexibility to you you make adjustments ... no stupidity please, we don't want more pop outs]. 

There are a massive number of variants that impact our abilities in the sand - most of which we cannot control (how soft it is, how the dunes shifted due to the winds the last days etc.) so I am not going to start any discussion here about what anyone might be planning in the hope of 'improving' their drive on Friday. I do feel, however, that knowing what your car offers at 2500RPM in the highest ratio and tyre PSI might have an interesting correlation. 

See you soon in the sand - convoy list to be published tomorrow morning.  

just had a chance to test this as I picked up the truck from the garage, for legal reasons I cannot say what the speed was but it was well over frightening Abu Dhabi and the driver!!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Watteau said:

just had a chance to test this as I picked up the truck from the garage, for legal reasons I cannot say what the speed was but it was well over frightening Abu Dhabi and the driver!!!!

🤣😂🤣😂

Beware everyone, I have another trick up my sleeve for tomorrow morning that will be revealed as we start the drive. 

Please bring your blindfolds.

R

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Watteau said:

Yes i tested too and was also heading into an area I’d rather not in terms of tickets. Maybe not where the raptor sits but close enough to abort mission certainly 😂😂

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

Same , about 125 at 2,500 rpm in D. My FJ is Automatic 5 gears, I tried then with different gears what 2,500... I have to say ... that I am unsure I normally go over 2,500 in my drives... tomorrow we'll see...  

11 minutes ago, Christopher Assal said:

Yes i tested too and was also heading into an area I’d rather not in terms of tickets. Maybe not where the raptor sits but close enough to abort mission certainly 😂😂

What I find most interesting about this is that we do not normally look at the RPM so carefully either on or off road. 

Perhaps we never actually go above 2500 in the desert. 

5 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

What I find most interesting about this is that we do not normally look at the RPM so carefully either on or off road. 

Perhaps we never actually go above 2500 in the desert. 

When I did the masterclass I noted that we didn’t really go over 2500rpm, maybe due to the route taken . I keep my eye on the rpm because I don’t wish to cause unnecessary stress on the engine if it’s not needed and also due to the chance of overheating in this weather. So maybe unless we’re trying to fly up the tallest dunes we don’t and this was all a farce 😂😂😂. Can’t wait for the 4.30am surprise 

22 minutes ago, Christopher Assal said:

When I did the masterclass I noted that we didn’t really go over 2500rpm, maybe due to the route taken . I keep my eye on the rpm because I don’t wish to cause unnecessary stress on the engine if it’s not needed and also due to the chance of overheating in this weather. So maybe unless we’re trying to fly up the tallest dunes we don’t and this was all a farce 😂😂😂. Can’t wait for the 4.30am surprise 

I think that the only bit that may change is that we lower the RPM to make it relevant, but my guess is that in a fewbie in these dunes that 2500 limit might be OK. 

And ... my other challenge should impact everyone equally: No matter the torque or power ratio in the car. 

1 minute ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

Climbing Faya, the slopes behind Pink/Camel rock surely above 2,500rpm. For me a golden less would be more actually around "picking up the effortless lines/dune reading/navigation". But I will have fun no matter what, and sure I have tons to learn always... 

Picking the effortless lines ... the absolute objective of every lead. When you get there, please let me know :-) 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

Picking the effortless lines ... the absolute objective of every lead. When you get there, please let me know :-) 

So true...it's crazy how much the Right line makes the diff.... 

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks @Wrangeld for the innovative drive...i was contemplating throughout the week about how you are going to go about this drive (as seems to be case with most friends here on forum). Must share that i am really amazed how you managed to find the track through which actually one could drive through without exceeding 2500 rpm... Despite being at end of the convoy facing completely churned up sand i to the major part of drive was in the planned range. And mostly where I exceeded i knew that i missed the most suitable line... thanks a lot for the experience. Idea of 2wd was really next level. 

Apart from initial series of refusals and stucks mostly convoy did well. We surely had our share of crests however was expected while everyone trying to limit the revs. 

@Tareck and @Christopher Assal you both were awesome today made my life as sweep super easy. Apart from one crest at the end both of you managed your Patrols super nicely through the churned up sand. Tareck i believe you must have realized (re-realized) today that your vehicle has tremendous power. At certain places i felt you could have sailed through with less revs as well. Again you were really good, just that today's theme was specific so felt at certain areas that you were putting in more gas then required..All an all a great outing for both of you. 

In general the whole convoy did well. For rest of the drivers i am sure other Seniors can comment better as from sweep couldn't have done a fair assessment of all. 

thanks again. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use