•  

COVID19 Compliant - Fewbie Morning Desert Drive - 2500RPM Qudra - Dubai - 25 Jun 2021

Wrangeld

3 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Do i come in or wait till Wednesday for the 2nd drive confirmation? 😃

We open it up for 2nd drive Weds. So far you are the only WL and at the top of that list. 

• Like (+1) 2

@Wrangeld sad to say I’ll be dropping out of the drive!  😢 … this was a drive I have been wanting to join more than most and gutted to miss out.  

I am likely to be on pause for weekend off-roading for a while however will keep an eye out as you develop these challenging drives ongoing and cannot wait to join a future trip!  Have a fun ride all .. 

• Sad (0) 1

4 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

hey Richard, indeed really looking forward as that effortless style is one los my learning objectives. 

I think that the vision is inspiring, surely for all who have decided to attend this drive, what I personally would find useful in preparation to the drive is a how-to oriented post. E.g. if you do this to approach a criss-cross, then you will need less power etc. Also, as an idea, we could design part of the drive with A/B approach comparison. E.g. for instance you could show us and why not us practicing then, two approaches to the climb or even the different picking different lines makes on the necessary effort (e.g. reading the dunes better). Just food for thought that I dare to suggest as I see you also nudging the team and invite to the thinking. I imagine not everything is possible or easy with such a long convoy. 

An Engineering note (told ya I am one): % of Max Torque and Power at 2,500 rpm is quite different by engine...so that limit will mean different challenges to different drivers... but the spirit of dune gliding is what I guess the most important thing is. 

Looking forward !

I really like this engineering approach @PaoloMaraziti and will try to incorporate a few of these theoretical how to ideas in these posts. The A/B testing idea is also fantastic as long as the convoy is OK with that stopping and starting (maybe better suited for a masterclass where we can take the time to experiment?)

In essence, yes, this is about how to get your car to glide and run smoothly, but also how can you approach an obstacle in a different way (as you mention). Is there a way to build momentum to cross a high dune by circling round and building up momentum instead of powering up the dune? What approach angle do you take to criss-cross that might be different with different power at your disposal?  

Also you are of course correct. 2500RPM in a V8 Hemi is going to look quite different to 2500RPM in a Suzuki Jimny. If the drivers of the larger vehicles see no difference (which maybe they will not) they can always take the challenge and lower their RPM to experience that feeling. 

Once other addition to my earlier post. We will be looking into how to drive through technical dunes as well. If there is an area of expertise where finesse is more important than power, it's in getting through the technical dunes ...

• Like (+1) 2

Hi Richard, if you allow me to post here in this drive post 🙏

I read all the above mentioned info , the context and idea is nice 

I have been experimenting different inputs to My Xterra , 2 tons V6 with almost 270 HP . all the time in the different attempts ( usually 2 to 3 ) the outcome was different 

e.g feya ( maybe not ideal spot ) . I tried to be constant after reaching ground momentum just before take off in many attempt I had to navigate slightly the imaginary path trying not to alter but half way I had to shift to gear 1 to keep the RPM same or else just before hitting 1000 RPM immediately I exit down. What I am trying to say is there are many factors is governing to what some one is intended to accomplish. Terrain , softness , slope angle , vehicle type , drivers skills ( drivers factors / vehicle factors / terrain factors ) 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, M.Seidam said:

Hi Richard, if you allow me to post here in this drive post 🙏

I read all the above mentioned info , the context and idea is nice 

I have been experimenting different inputs to My Xterra , 2 tons V6 with almost 270 HP . all the time in the different attempts ( usually 2 to 3 ) the outcome was different 

e.g feya ( maybe not ideal spot ) . I tried to be constant after reaching ground momentum just before take off in many attempt I had to navigate slightly the imaginary path trying not to alter but half way I had to shift to gear 1 to keep the RPM same or else just before hitting 1000 RPM immediately I exit down. What I am trying to say is there are many factors is governing to what some one is intended to accomplish. Terrain , softness , slope angle , vehicle type , drivers skills ( drivers factors / vehicle factors / terrain factors ) 

@M.Seidam you're always welcome to post. 

I think we all accept the basic premise that different factors will influence each drive, dune, day etc. We are not necessarily aiming for consistency in this activity - repeatability is a science lab concept often far removed from the reality of the situation. The aim is to understand how much control and capability we can squeeze out of the self imposed limits we apply. 

While I have done recovery drives where we set (actually a) Lower limit on the RPM I have never consciously sought to self limit on the RPM and see what can still be achieved. I am convinced of 2 things. 1. We are going to learn something about our cars that we did not know before this. 2. We will learn a lot about our normal driving style - because by making this change we will find how this differs (or not) from how we drive normally

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

27 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

The aim is to understand how much control and capability we can squeeze out of the self imposed limits we apply. 

Totally agree 100%

28 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

1. We are going to learn something about our cars that we did not know before this. 2. We will learn a lot about our normal driving style - because by making this change we will find how this differs (or not) from how we drive normally

200% agree 

👍👍👍

9 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

all ok @Niki, it’s a bummer not to drive together … following your (and many more) advice , my FJ is wearing new lighter shoes and this is is going to be the baptisms of fire, inshallah… I’d have love to share my experience with you and again thanks for the help in the sand last weekend

@PaoloMaraziti i was really looking forward to the drive and reading the thread and Richard's summary I can only hope for a repeat ride in the future.  All is good however I am required for the family duties which i must prioritize - truly appreciate you checking in!  Knowing you are sporting a new pair of shoes - i am even more gutted as would have been a great trip to join together and share experiences.  Remember to run the new tires in this week so take a few more highway miles on them ready for Friday (on a recent Extreme drive one of the team had a new set of wheel put on and hadn't run them in which caused a pop out ...  plenty time to run them and the seal in this week!) .. i will be monitoring the thread so am keenly waiting for the post ride reports and feedback!  

Have a super ride and drive with confidence ... your new coopers will make you feel like you have ballet shoes on :) 

I may ask to be put on a wait list incase circumstances change later this week however at the moment i will enjoy the ride through you and your report my friend.  PS we were all in awe of your Yeti cool box and the glamorous/luxury refreshments you stocked! 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use