•  

COVID19 Compliant - Fewbie Morning Desert Drive - 2500RPM Qudra - Dubai - 25 Jun 2021

Wrangeld

3 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

I really like this engineering approach @PaoloMaraziti and will try to incorporate a few of these theoretical how to ideas in these posts. The A/B testing idea is also fantastic as long as the convoy is OK with that stopping and starting (maybe better suited for a masterclass where we can take the time to experiment?)

In essence, yes, this is about how to get your car to glide and run smoothly, but also how can you approach an obstacle in a different way (as you mention). Is there a way to build momentum to cross a high dune by circling round and building up momentum instead of powering up the dune? What approach angle do you take to criss-cross that might be different with different power at your disposal?  

Also you are of course correct. 2500RPM in a V8 Hemi is going to look quite different to 2500RPM in a Suzuki Jimny. If the drivers of the larger vehicles see no difference (which maybe they will not) they can always take the challenge and lower their RPM to experience that feeling. 

Once other addition to my earlier post. We will be looking into how to drive through technical dunes as well. If there is an area of expertise where finesse is more important than power, it's in getting through the technical dunes ...

Perhaps we define gear level for specific  areas .. everyone to drive at a gear level (tiptronics or manual) though varies for individual vehicle still might be interesting way to control ...in any case speed is controlled by lead. 

I think the point here is that it is all relative, there are a lot of factors that control traction, engine speed being one of them, deflation level, torque of the engine at different revolutions, throttle response, gearing ratios etc. For me personally I'm looking for the maximum traction for the least amount of accelerator input to be able to accomplish each obstacle we may find, that may lead to refusals if I go too soft or it may be that I could have achieved the same result with a lot less, there will be no "one size fits all" to this.

7 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Perhaps we define gear level for specific  areas .. everyone to drive at a gear level (tiptronics or manual) though varies for individual vehicle still might be interesting way to control ...in any case speed is controlled by lead. 

Each car has different ratios and torque - so I think we might be looking more at whether low gear ratios assist or not than defining the specific gear for the area. Anyhow @varunmehndiratta, you will get the chance to test this as I am adding you to the drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Wrangeld said:

Each car has different ratios and torque - so I think we might be looking more at whether low gear ratios assist or not than defining the specific gear for the area. Anyhow @varunmehndiratta, you will get the chance to test this as I am adding you to the drive. 

Thanks Richard...looking forward 

1 minute ago, Watteau said:

I think the point here is that it is all relative, there are a lot of factors that control traction, engine speed being one of them, deflation level, torque of the engine at different revolutions, throttle response, gearing ratios etc. For me personally I'm looking for the maximum traction for the least amount of accelerator input to be able to accomplish each obstacle we may find, that may lead to refusals if I go too soft or it may be that I could have achieved the same result with a lot less, there will be no "one size fits all" to this.

Absolutely - the objective is to get more in tune with your vehicle, not less: Less would for me be that you find the sweetspot in your vehicle where you can do everything but there's no stress around it. We can all drive fast and hard in the sand and push the car to it's limits in terms of throwing more and more power at it, but that's not really driver and vehicle in tandem or in tune that's seat of the pants, high adrenalin faster faster faster stuff. Of course there is a place for that, which is why we see all sorts of mods and lift kits that make that easier to achieve. 

Everyone will take away from this drive what they want, because we all drive differently, but the objective is see what you can achieve by driving differently, stressing your vehicle less, controlling the drive more, refining your style and finessing your skill. 

• Well Done (+2) 1

Not many drives have this level of engagement 3-4days out with thoughts on gears, throttle approach, torque curves, lines... likely soon the debate will move to style based on convoy position, the lottery of 'how-low-do-i-go for tire pressure', impact of bringing a passenger (weight management), do I use low range outside of recoveries etc.

@Wrangeld you know you are doing something right when there is this much thought and care being taken prior to a drive... makes me sad to miss the drive even more (and reminds me of exactly why i wanted to join)!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

13 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

@Niki ... could it be because most of us (definitely me) don't know how the... we are going to make through this ? :D

Sorry, need to go now to buy dices to help me to make some of the above decisions ;) 

I have a spare set of dice from my backgammon set , I’ll bring them! 😂

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly , loved reading this thread and all the thoughts. Been thinking non stop about the drive, how it’s going to be , how each member and their car will react to each situation. How my heavy LWB car will control at these revs and conditions compared to other member SWB with good power to weight ratio 4wd.

My conclusion is over thinking it will not help and there is no real preparation for the situation unless you have done this sort of drive before , except careful, intuitive driving and being instinctive and listening to and feeling out your car and the sand beneath you. Don’t be tempted to floor it but moreover feel your way into and out of the tricky situation. I remember my father her as a kid driving his 83’ SWB Pajero in what was is now Mushriff park, never getting stuck and rarely in 4wd and that I guess that was pure control. His car certainly wasn’t as advanced as ours now.

I never knew hippy off roaders existed till I just wrote this 😂

• Like (+1) 2

Dear DesertnautsUAE,

The wait is almost over, We are at Wednesday and it is looking increasingly like the convoy positions are fixed (in my mind at least) from which everyone will be able to start their thinking more strategically about how this drive is going to work out. 

A little homework if you will. It would be good to set one benchmark across the drivers, just so that we can all understand what 2500RPM looks like in our cars. For instance, at 2500RPM in top gear (2WD) I am travelling at around 106kph. I imagine that for @Watteau in the Raptor, 2500RPM in top gear would even scare the speed cameras in Abu Dhabi - but maybe I am wrong.

If you have time, before now and the drive, please make a note of your metrics on this. The other measurement that it would be good to understand from everyone before we start is the PSI on which you have chosen to run for this drive. [I am assuming that you have a PSI that you normally choose and it may be this, but offering flexibility to you you make adjustments ... no stupidity please, we don't want more pop outs]. 

There are a massive number of variants that impact our abilities in the sand - most of which we cannot control (how soft it is, how the dunes shifted due to the winds the last days etc.) so I am not going to start any discussion here about what anyone might be planning in the hope of 'improving' their drive on Friday. I do feel, however, that knowing what your car offers at 2500RPM in the highest ratio and tyre PSI might have an interesting correlation. 

See you soon in the sand - convoy list to be published tomorrow morning.  

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use