•  
Advertise here

Chronos 4x4 switch

Well team, I've gone and done it. I have bought and fitted a Chronos 4x4 Traction control defeat switch. Why? mainly because it allows you to mimic a locker front diff by using TC to control front wheel spin when the trans is in 4Llc and diff lock engaged. Another benefit is that instead of popping the bonnet and removing the fuse for the TC/ABS/ASC I can now flick a switch and acheive the same effect. I know that I will enjoy this upgrade since twice now I have been out in the world (not on an off road jaunt) and had cause to drive off the tarseal in order to take a short cut and both times the Gadgero has more or less refused to move believing that all the wheels are spinning and just bogging down and groaning in distress. Now I can hit the switch and getterdun!!! 

I am off to paradise (Sweihan) on Friday morning so I will report back on the success or otherwise of my folly. Wish me luck.

• WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 4

you'll definitely need it bro @Warren Flay, Sweihan's getting softer than last time u were here 😁 See you on Friday morning bro 👍🏻

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Zed said:

you'll definitely need it bro @Warren Flay, Sweihan's getting softer than last time u were here 😁 See you on Friday morning bro 👍🏻

Jeez it was only two weeks ago!

• Haha (+1) 2

Well... short answer? it works. It does what it says it will do.

Long answer? It felt as if the Gadgero was still trying to apply TC sometimes. A vague sort of lack of response when I put pedal to metal and a sluggish feeling to the acceleration... but only sometimes and I may have even been imagining it because I was so focussed on it?

A very real issue is that twice, the dash status indicator went from all four wheels lit/centre diff lit/ rear diff flashing (which is correct according to them) to just the centre diff light on and all others off! I corrected it by turning the ignition off and then restarting.  The operational problem here is that when trying to engage diff lock to self extract from a refusal, there is no indicator to show that the diff is actually locked. I had to assume it was and then switched the Chronos to "TC on" and the Gadgero then grunted her way out of the hole she had dug like a magic sand mule! I could feel the TC cutting in and the front wheels clawing at the sand as they got power and then power was removed by the system. It worked really well (apart from the indicator light)

At the end of the drive? I just flick the switch to centre position and drive away, no relay to replace in the engine bay.

Overall, I am very pleased with it and I will contact them about the indicator light problem to see if there is a fix. Stay tuned.

On 6/22/2021 at 8:52 PM, Zed said:

The mighty black LandWhale was roaring behind me at number 7 today, I could smell the hydrocarbons burning in fury! Could you tell if the Gadgero was throwing rooster tails like last time? I am just a little paranoid about the throttle response. (Also, thanks for the lend of your radio bro! I claim Alzheimers) 😝

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Warren Flay said:

The mighty black LandWhale was roaring behind me at number 7 today, I could smell the hydrocarbons burning in fury! Could you tell if the Gadgero was throwing rooster tails like last time? I am just a little paranoid about the throttle response. (Also, thanks for the lend of your radio bro! I claim Alzheimers) 😝

When you say "throttle response", Do you have Pedal Commander? Could have used that one to do that crest-switching manouvre today since most cars failed and tried to fight gravity 😂

• 1 month later...

Update: Chronos got back to me and admitted that the dash indicator light issue is a known fault and that they have no fix. Pretty rubbish really imo. Make your decision fully informed of this. Cheers

Edited by Warren Flay

29 minutes ago, Warren Flay said:

Update: Chronos got back to me and admitted that the dash indicator light issue is a known fault and that they have no fix. Pretty rubbish really imo. Make your decision fully informed of this. Cheers

The main reason is because these switches are "tricking" the vehicle's ECU. For example the regular kill switch requires you to "ground" a sensor. As the Cronos has different functionalities this sometimes messes with the ECU and leads to blinking lights and other odd behavior.

For me, the classic kill switch i have installed myself works fine and i found the Cronos to be above my budget for what it was.

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2021 at 12:41 PM, Frederic said:

The main reason is because these switches are "tricking" the vehicle's ECU. For example the regular kill switch requires you to "ground" a sensor. As the Cronos has different functionalities this sometimes messes with the ECU and leads to blinking lights and other odd behavior.

For me, the classic kill switch i have installed myself works fine and i found the Cronos to be above my budget for what it was.

Sorry for the 18 months delayed reply 😅

Frederic got any tips on self installing a kill switch? Instructions or diagrams etc?

Considering chronos4x4 but have no blank switch plates.

Thankyou kindly

8 hours ago, LKP said:

Sorry for the 18 months delayed reply 😅

Frederic got any tips on self installing a kill switch? Instructions or diagrams etc?

Considering chronos4x4 but have no blank switch plates.

Thankyou kindly

Hi @LKPi installed the kill switch myself and took less than 1 hour. I used below video as guidance:

Takes a tiny bit of soldering, but it's easy to do. I installed the switch below the steering wheel and used this model which i had lying around at work and had 1 Normal Open contact.

Image result for Schneider Selector Switch

Any type of switch will do as long as it possesses 1 Normal Open contact.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."