•  
Advertise here

Procedures for safely parking the car for long duration

Ahmed Wagdy

I don't know about more recent models, but for my jeep I disconnect the battery to prevent battery depletion, and raise the jeep on 4 jacks to avoid tires deformation. I also cover the jeep to protect the painting.

Edited by Alexander Alcala
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Is the car parked outside or inside ?

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I would do the following:

1) Purchase a tarpaulin that allows you to cover the car entirely. That will keep away the dust, animals, etc..

2) Disconnect the battery.

If you have a relative or friend that is able to start the car or go for a small tour every couple of weeks that would really help. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I was planning this over summer until our British friend Borris has kept UAE on the red list :( 

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-to-prep-your-car-for-long-term-storage.html

Above link was useful and I then searched on Amazon for flat stopper / flat tire prevention to sit the car on (after inflating to 40psi).  Prices varies massively so just make sure the width is measured before purchasing. 

B879C50F-CD03-4588-A274-7AEB0758C419.jpeg.d3667667aa929b100061019a7871beec.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Niki said:

I was planning this over summer until our British friend Borris has kept UAE on the red list :( 

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-to-prep-your-car-for-long-term-storage.html

Above link was useful and I then searched on Amazon for flat stopper / flat tire prevention to sit the car on (after inflating to 40psi).  Prices varies massively so just make sure the width is measured before purchasing. 

B879C50F-CD03-4588-A274-7AEB0758C419.jpeg.d3667667aa929b100061019a7871beec.jpeg

Good discussion .. thanks @Ahmed Wagdy for starting the topic.. 

@Niki I can't understand the physics behind these ramps! the main concern for tires is deformation due to the weight of the vehicle concentrated on one side of the tire for prolonged duration without rotation which can lead to the tyre not becoming 100% circular and also can weaken the internal supporting structure of the tire due to stress on one side specially during excessive summer heat. The only practical solution is for the car to be moved back and forth to rotate the tires and distribute the load every one or two weeks.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Another thought. Why don't you inflate the tyre to approx 45-50 psi. That might avoid flat spots.

For older cars I would not recommend not running it for such long periods as they will create problems when you return. I would prefer the option that Fred has given to let someone start the car and run it once a week.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

7 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

Good discussion .. thanks @Ahmed Wagdy for starting the topic.. 

@Niki I can't understand the physics behind these ramps! the main concern for tires is deformation due to the weight of the vehicle concentrated on one side of the tire for prolonged duration without rotation which can lead to the tyre not becoming 100% circular and also can weaken the internal supporting structure of the tire due to stress on one side specially during excessive summer heat. The only practical solution is for the car to be moved back and forth to rotate the tires and distribute the load every one or two weeks.

😱🤦🏽‍♂️ I am not qualified beyond Amazon search! :) 

I do know very high end vehicle storage places that use the ‘flat stoppers’ for classics and modern hyper cars etc.  not that this is proof enough however is an option I guess.  A friend to drive the car on occasions is always the best choice - that I do agree 

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use