•  
Advertise here

Procedures for safely parking the car for long duration

Ahmed Wagdy

1 minute ago, Srikumar said:

Another thought. Why don't you inflate the tyre to approx 45-50 psi. That might avoid flat spots.

For older cars I would not recommend not running it for such long periods as they will create problems when you return. I would prefer the option that Fred has given to let someone start the car and run it once a week.

Isn't there like a kind of tipping point, such as from 32-33psi onwards that the tyre shape will not change anymore ?

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I don't think 2 month is considered a long duration that can cause any damage.

Best thing to keep your keys with a friend to start it up every few weeks so the battery stays alive, otherwise disconnect the negative terminal.

I used to leave my car for 5- 6 weeks and didn't even remove the terminal, it just starts immediately and never faced any issues with the tires.

• Like (+1) 1

thanks a lot @Niki for the informative link and information, i didn't know the "flat stopper" solution existed, there are other points in the link that is quite interesting to consider as well.

i am mostly concerned about the tyres, all what i could get in terms of ideas is either lift the whole car over jack stands, or use the flat stopper or of course the best solution which is to have someone to drive it every week or so if you can find this volunteer and in our case they need to do this for 2 cars so... 😁

@Islam Soliman, as far as i understood the issue rises because the tyres resting on hard ground at a single spot for a long time, this spot start to flatten and some type of deformation occurs to the rubber, apparently this deformation sometime it is temporary as soon as you start driving the car again, other times it is just permanent depending on the size and duration i guess, (as a pure speculation from my side not depending on any solid information 😃) theoretically those flat stoppers allow the tyres to keep its circular shape instead of letting the tyres take the flat shape of the solid ground.

just crossed my mind, an out of the box idea yet not applicable, to park the car on the sand, soft enough will not harm the tyres 😂.

i just realized because of the Covid, a lot of people haven't been back their home countries for a long time so when they plan to go they stay there for a long time as well, and the flexible teleworking model that have been implemented almost everywhere, made it easier for people to work anywhere for some time, which brings another idea, why not make a business that provides a service that someone will take the car for a ride and a wash every week, i know i am willing to pay for that😉.

@Frederic, guess the inflating solution could work theoretically but the tyres tend to slowly deflate after quite some time, not sure if it could reach the point of getting the flat spot though?!

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Lawrence_Chehimi, it could be ok for the battery if it is new as well as the car, but for the tyres it really depends but it can cause this flat spot, as per the link shared by @Niki also, changing the oil is recommended for any duration more than a month or so, i didn't know that.

also covering any openings like the exhausts.. for example so as not to let small creatures having this as their nest especially of it s parked outside, which is i guess unlikely to happen here but just in case.

@Ahmed Wagdy great discussion you started and rather than a 'rent a friend' service to drive the cars (you may end up with a friend like @PaoloMaraziti who will not drive, but test drive :) ) - we could stock pile these ramps and covers and offer a long term storage prep service (i am not a gifted businessman so feel free to shake your head).

I am no longer travelling but put in a lot of research on how best to store our 2 cars and as we were in an apartment access for friends to drive it was a hassle/difficult.  the below video is also great - explains the benefits/cons of the oil change, raising on a ramp, sealing exhaust, why to avoid soft outdoor surfaces to park  etc (plus the guy has one of those authoritative American accents that makes him sounds like you are stupid to doubt his guidance) 

Edited by Niki
  • Haha (+1) 2

@Ahmed Wagdy have a read here and it kind of confirm my doubt that flat spotting is more prone in colder countries as rubber reacts dramatically to sub-zero temp as opposed to 30 v 50 degrees here.

I have had many cars and sometime had a gap to not to drive some car for a month or two without any additional care required. As mentioned in continental link, initially felt little strange and after 5-10 km drive tires were fine.

So just inflate to 35-40 and leave it so that even if looses pressure a bit, it will be fine. For two months surely, I suggest to remove the battery to be on the safe side and cover with good quality car cover to avoid paint damage.

For the business side, there are many options are already there for storing high-end cars google - "car storage" but expensive like 1000 dhs per month to store your car in AC shed and clean on daily basis and start the car regularly and drive within the shed for few minutes. They offer different packages depending on your pocket depth and love for your car.

If you can find a carnity member closer to your area, through member map (I know its not accurately filled by many), and check with few who can help start and move the car for little drive.

image.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use