•  
Advertise here

Disabling Air bags

Dear friends,

I am a new offroader and i added a kill switch today for my FJ cruiser, airbags are not yet disable only traction control and abs are disable.

please advise is it good to disable air bags too for off roading.

Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

@Abdul Hannan you should indeed find a way to disable your LATERAL airbags. I had them explode on me in my early driving days, on a sharp criss-crossing, where I was too quick off the ridge, and the car's computer thought I was rolling over. FJ's have lateral airbags since 2008 (what year is your car?). There should be a button on the left side of the dash, below the wheel, next to the rearview mirror's arrows: it's labelled RSCA. That will switch off the lateral airbags. If you don't have that, you'll have to pull the fuse. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Abdul Hanaan as Ale advised there is a button to disable the side airbags, see page 21 on this owners manual for the 2013 FJ.  There is no need to disable the front airbags - they are considered necessary for safety and do not trigger unless a genuine impact. 

PS the GCC spec FJ moved to having the side curtain airbags as optional from 2010 so if your car doesn't have this button to disable (and clearly no airbag marking on the side pillars) - you are good to go! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1