•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - NOT the usual "easy" Qudra drive - Dubai - 2 Jul 2021

Ale Vallecchi

That was my first fewbie drive.  Learned a lot of things today. The track was wonderful.

Thanks @Ale Vallecchi, for the wonderful lesson today.
Also thanks to @Hisham Masaad and @Chris Wing for guarding and supporting the convoy today.

@luis mantecon, hope your jeep is getting well soon.

All, 
See you later on next drives.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Hi guys a quick video from yesterday. Spectacular sunrise enjoyed by all.

40 seconds in I get stuck on a choppy ridge. From reviewing this seems to be a textbook stuck - not enough momentum and needed to exit sooner. Thank you for the digs from team @Hisham Masaad and @JeromeFJ and freed up to continue the morning. We had plenty of opportunities to practice ridge riding so thanks to @Ale Vallecchi for guidance and lead. 

As others noted we had an issue towards the end of the drive 😢 and it goes without saying that everyone on the drive wishes @luis mantecon Wrangler a speedy recovery.

Hope to see you all soon. 

Edited by TT_Dubai
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Thanks @Ale Vallecchi, for the drive lead with lot of learning opportunities especially w.r.t ridge riding approaches, exit , speed etc. 

Key takeaways for me as learning :

1. Choose the best approach angle to get on a ridge , this may not be the track taken by the previous car, due to various reasons - weight, wheelbase etc.

2. Once you are close to the crest, never steer up a ridge sharply, when both set of your wheels are on same side of the ridge. Try to ride "square on the ridge" as @Ale Vallecchiputs it, at least for some distance, before exiting.

3. You dont need to be too fast on a ridge - need to be just fast enough to crawl and probably a bit more , for a smooth exit and also to avoid banging the cars belly on broken ridges/ridges with ripples on the crest.

These are better said than done, and i need to get this perfect with more practice.

Off course, yesterdays ride had its share of bad luck with one of the ridges proving unlucky for @luis mantecon, and we are happy that you are safe , and at the same time wish that you sort out the car to get it back on its legs, and to see you back in the desert with extra enthusiasm!!

@Hisham Masaad , Carnity's Mr.Q as @PaoloMaraziti named him 🙂, demonstrated his brilliance yet again with strong support with  the recovery, advices for refusals and what not. Seeing Hisham with his fully gadgetized FJ, in the convoy gives a sense of confidence nowadays!!

Kudos to all fellow drivers, i bet at least some of us are "shaken" but not stirred 🙂.... lets take this as a learning experience and let the lessons learnt be engraved or etched firmly in our brains to help our future, split second decisions in the desert!!

Looking forward and coming back for more!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use