•  

COVID19 Compliant - Wednesday Morning Short Intermediate Desert Drive - Al Qudra to Lisaili: the 100+ crests ride - Dubai - 30 Jun 2021

Drive Brief

Mastering long crest riding, at the very top of sharp edged dunes, with two wheels on one side and two on the other side as long as the crest lasts, is one of the most fulfilling achievements for a desert off-roader: it takes a great capability to read (and sometimes guess) the terrain ahead in very short time, a fine coordination of fast but precise steering and throttle response to control fishtailing, often the ability to criss-cross multiple times switching rapidly from wind-side to slip-side and back depending on the crest curvature, and - above all - that subtle balance between daring to go a few meters more and opting to safely steer down (before getting stuck or losing control of the fishtailing) that only endless practice will eventually build up. And if there's a place where long crest riding can be practiced, that is - no doubt - the Al Qudra to Lisaili stretch of desert.

Starting before dawn, 5:00AM, from the pylon track crossing the sabkha at the end of the Al Qudra - Solar Park Road, we will quickly make our way into the sand and start our zig-zag heading north-east, riding fiercely all available crests on the way to Lisaili with the objective to ride each crest of a dune high enough and for a distance long enough to be clearly identifiable on our GPS track so that the total count will reach 100+ (*) before making our way out at Lisaili Fort by 8:00AM. A 100+ crests will be good practice, won't it?

(*) Every crest ride longer than 100m will be counted 2 or more depending on how many multiples of 50m it covers)

1944935492_AlQudraCrests.jpg.ccbbee3daeb06156e7316bf9525ccaa7.jpg

General Infos

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: COVID19 Precautions

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: Ban Post

TWO WAY RADIO GUIDELINES

• Every Off-roader brings his own radio, programmed to the frequencies described in below advice topic.
  • We will not share spare radios or program your radio on the drive. If you need assistance in programming the radio, post a topic on the Carnity website with your questions and we will help you out. 
  • Make sure your radio is fully charged. It will be your only way of communication while driving.
  • Before buying, please carefully read below advice so you are informed properly on which model / cost / shops...
  • No radio = No drive. It is an essential tool and you should make sure you bring it on every drive and learn/practice how to use it.

SUGGESTED READING: Carnity Two Way Radio Frequencies

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

Drive Details

Level:  Intermediate and Above (All Levels)

When: 30 June 2021, Wednesday.

Meeting time: 4:45 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Al Qudra Pylon Track - https://goo.gl/maps/VurDujZbhkNZjGah7

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm, willingness to learn and your own compressor for tire inflation.

Approximate finish time: 8:00 AM

End Point: Lisaili Fort

Limited Spots Available:

• Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Tuesday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR EVENT 

• Like (+1) 1

• Lorenzo Candelpergher changed the title to COVID19 Compliant - Wednesday Morning Short Intermediate Desert Drive - Al Qudra to Lisaili: the 100+ crests ride - Dubai - 30 Jun 2021

Dear Desert Wanderers, 

this RSVP is now closed.

Please find below the convoy order for our drive:

image.png.d2c640b6004a90322cfb79482d4f53c7.png

We will have the pleasure to have with us @Wrangeld, in one of the rare occasions when he leaves his duties as Carnity Marshal and takes the luxury of joining an Intermediate Drive for fun. So will do as well also @Kailas: I'll do my best to make sure we get as much fun as we can!!

@Gok Krish, @Ashok chaturvedi, @Wrangeld@varunmehndiratta, @Ahab Shamaa, @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ, @GauravSoni, @Dodi Syahdar, @Kailas, this drive is going to be very demanding from a technical point. It will therefore require your full and undivided concentration at every step, considering we will spend a significant portion of the drive on the crest of high dunes, which requires constant instantaneous adjustments with throttle and steering, so make sure you come well rested and hydrated and that and you don’t have any reason for being distracted. Also, please consider carefully if you wish to bring passengers along with you.

We will be using Carnity Channel 4 (446.08125Mhz)

See you tomorrow morning, ready to go (i.e. already caffeinated, deflated, flagged and briefed) by no later 5:00am (sharp), so make sure you make it to the meeting point at least by 4:45am.

The meeting point is confirmed as per original drive post: Al Qudra Pylon Track - https://goo.gl/maps/VurDujZbhkNZjGah7 

• Like (+1) 4

Thanks @Lorenzo Candelpergher!

Sounds like it’s gonna be a great drive, yet again 😀

Having Richard @Wrangeld on the drive, is going to make it all the more enjoyable ❤️

@Gok Krish, good luck in second lead my friend 😀 Rest well, and light a candle tonight 😂

See ya’ll mañana bright and early!

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Ahab Shamaa said:

Thanks @Lorenzo Candelpergher!

Sounds like it’s gonna be a great drive, yet again 😀

Having Richard @Wrangeld on the drive, is going to make it all the more enjoyable ❤️

@Gok Krish, good luck in second lead my friend 😀 Rest well, and light a candle tonight 😂

See ya’ll mañana bright and early!

Yep... Opportunity, Balanced Aggression @Ahab Shamaano p****. Yeah. Bang bang bang ..thanks @Lorenzo Candelpergherfor the learning opp. See ya all 2moro

• Like (+1) 1

@Lorenzo Candelpergher Thanks for the great drive - This shd be part of a course, "How to ridge drive comfortably in 2 hours" . Posted my video here. Starts with my cresting within the first 5 minutes , tug - thanks to @Gaurav Soni @Ashok chaturvedi for showelling. As time passed by with more and more ridges, the time I could spend on the ridges increased from say 3-5 seconds to 40 seconds at one stretch that too with curves and elevation changed. Great Learning experience. 

Good to see Richard @Wrangeld, hope car is Good

Great to see u guys, @varunmehndiratta, @Ahab Shamaa, @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ,@Dodi Syahdar, @Kailas, awesome convoy ...pumped up all the time...

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Gok Krish said:

@Lorenzo Candelpergher Thanks for the great drive - This shd be part of a course, "How to ridge drive comfortably in 2 hours" . Posted my video here. Starts with my cresting within the first 5 minutes , tug - thanks to @Gaurav Soni @Ashok chaturvedi for showelling. As time passed by with more and more ridges, the time I could spend on the ridges increased from say 3-5 seconds to 40 seconds at one stretch that too with curves and elevation changed. Great Learning experience. 

Good to see Richard @Wrangeld, hope car is Good

Great to see u guys, @varunmehndiratta, @Ahab Shamaa, @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ,@Dodi Syahdar, @Kailas, awesome convoy ...pumped up all the time...

Very nice video @Gok Krish, it really gives a good sense of what the drive was all about: riding ridges/crests.

For sure repeating this over and over again eventually helps polishing your driving skills.

I think the most interesting challenge yesterday was the continuous criss crossing required to stay on top of the crest with two wheels on one side and two on the other side adjusting the side based on the curvature of the crest.

Another challenging drive, very well managed! 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use