•  
Advertise here

Need Some Advice Re: Skid Plate

Good day, all :)

I'm fairly new to Carnity - and desert off roading - having joined in April and gone on a few drives, so please pardon me if this is the wrong place to post!

I have a friend in another club who has been advised to add front and back skid plates to his car, which is the same as mine (5-door Pajero). I remember when I joined this club reading about how 'free' clubs aren't always free because they want you to modify this and that, so I'm wondering how necessary and/or useful a skid plate is. I think my friend actually damaged his bumper not having one, but I've not had any issues (perhaps because I've only done the newbie drive). He's also been advised to add a kill switch but I think this isn't necessary because I've just been pulling off the plug under the hood to shut everything down.

So the rate he's been quoted is like 1800aed is for the front and back skid plate and the kill switch. I guess my questions here are: are the plates necessary and should they be so costly or what? He's been told he gets a discount for being a member of a club (which immediately makes me think of what I mentioned above, with some clubs 'encouraging' you to make modifications. 

Any information or advice would be appreciated!

• Like (+1) 2

For the long wheel base Pajeros like yours, the rear skid plate is definitely needed. The reason for that is that the Pajero it’s rear bumper design is working like a sand scooper and eventually the whole rear bumper might get torn off. This rear skid plate is an easy fix and many off-road shops can install one for you for about 300-400dhs.

A front skid plate is interesting as soon as you start driving on Fewbie and above levels. It protects the radiator and front bumper against bumps and impact. These are usually costing around 1200dhs for a decent 8mm plate installed.

With regards to the kill switch, I agree with you; if you are used to unplugging the ABS connector in the engine bay, this is totally fine. The kill switch would make things a bit easier but it’s not gonna make any difference. I think those same shops would charge around 150dhs for one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Pajero already having a front skid plate and protector if I'm not wrong. That should be sufficient for newbie level drives for as long as you want to drive. From fewbie level upward when you engage in lot of ridge riding, then having a better and stronger front bash plate make sense. Now how stronger and better defines the pricing. Anything from 6mm thickness to 12 mm thickness with or without base frame etc. adds up to the cost and fabricators love to sell you the most strongest plate needed to run for Baja challenge for newbie drives.

You as a owner also need to understand and consider the weight of the plate and frame will eventually add certain kg on the nose and that will restrict your climbing capability at higher level. Adding 25+ kg on nose is not really needed when you can drive little sensibly than smashing your car into every dune.

I have been driving with factory plate (2 mm thin metal one) for 6+ years, yes of course it used to bend quite often and at every oil change mechanic use to hammer it. In 2018 I installed the winch that demanded new bash plate so I went for 6 mm without any frame.

As a new driver, here are my recommendations for front bash plate:

• Newbie drive = Factory thin metal or plastic or fiber plate is sufficient.
  • Fewbie drive = 6 MM plate is enough
  • Intermediate = 6 -10 MM is good enough depending on your driving style.
  • Extreme = 6-10 MM with or without frame depending on your driving style.

In your case rear plate is most urgent in Pajero due to the design flaw of rear bumper that act as a scooper to pull the bumper down. There you only need any metal plate to close the scoop as its not getting much impact at the back.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thank you @Frederic and @Gaurav for your feedback and advice! I'm now searching for a shop nearby me that might be able to do these modifications in hopes I don't have to go far afield to get them done. I don't know that I'll ever go up to Fewbie - Newbie feels pretty comfortable 😂😂😂 - but I think it's probably better to pay for the protection of the skid plate. Thanks again 😊🙏🏼!

4 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Pajero already having a front skid plate and protector if I'm not wrong. That should be sufficient for newbie level drives for as long as you want to drive. From fewbie level upward when you engage in lot of ridge riding, then having a better and stronger front bash plate make sense. Now how stronger and better defines the pricing. Anything from 6mm thickness to 12 mm thickness with or without base frame etc. adds up to the cost and fabricators love to sell you the most strongest plate needed to run for Baja challenge for newbie drives.

You as a owner also need to understand and consider the weight of the plate and frame will eventually add certain kg on the nose and that will restrict your climbing capability at higher level. Adding 25+ kg on nose is not really needed when you can drive little sensibly than smashing your car into every dune.

I have been driving with factory plate (2 mm thin metal one) for 6+ years, yes of course it used to bend quite often and at every oil change mechanic use to hammer it. In 2018 I installed the winch that demanded new bash plate so I went for 6 mm without any frame.

As a new driver, here are my recommendations for front bash plate:

• Newbie drive = Factory thin metal or plastic or fiber plate is sufficient.
  • Fewbie drive = 6 MM plate is enough
  • Intermediate = 6 -10 MM is good enough depending on your driving style.
  • Extreme = 6-10 MM with or without frame depending on your driving style.

In your case rear plate is most urgent in Pajero due to the design flaw of rear bumper that act as a scooper to pull the bumper down. There you only need any metal plate to close the scoop as its not getting much impact at the back.

Hi @Gauravthe front skid plate ( 6mm aluminum) which I installed doesn’t not extend to offer protection for the engine oil pan, it is the same size of stock skid plate, the garage retained the fiber stock skid plate for the oil pan as they said extension is not necessary. Please share your thoughts on this, should I extend?

EDFAA557-F5F1-4A27-88CF-C0FB04DFFABF.jpeg

1 hour ago, Naveen Raj said:

Please share your thoughts on this, should I extend?

Like I said above, at newbie level, fiber plate are really enough.

Once you are at fewbie, check your plate after couple of fewbie drives to identify the actual need as per your drive style.

Front 6 mm looks very neat job, in case your Pajero heat up, increase the hole size or add few more holes in front.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@samamara i am also driving a pajero. Regarding the kill switch, i experienced a stuck situation during my 1st newbie drive. I was advised by the senior to plug it back as the traction control can help in recovering. It was a pretty hot day and having to open the bonnet to replug it in was a bit of hassle and i guess partly due to inexperience. And after recovering, i had to remove it again.On the hindsight, i considered it would be much more convenient to have a kill switch instead and also avoid the risk of losing the plug if i have to replug and unplug again during the drive, if i get stuck alot lol

Edited by Jerry Han
  • Like (+1) 1

@samamara I've recently fitted both front (which extends to cover the area just under the number plate) and rear plates, and happy to have done so especially during my fewbie drives. I had to look at the cost of the plates, versus potentially damaging expensive engine parts during the drives - and in hindsight was a good decision. Great comments above, especially the explanations from @Gaurav and @Frederic, as usual. The rear bumper in particular is vulnerable, basically acting as a scoop at the wrong angle, so this needs attention. For me personally, a kill switch is not a priority at the moment. 

I have the same car as you. We don't share workshop names/details on the portal, but if you'd like to discuss further/including workshop contact,  feel free to contact me - 050 734 5801. 

• Like (+1) 2