•  

Afternoon drives

AlexM

Hi all, just after the public opinion here - joined the club recently. I personally cannot function in the mornings, so was looking forward for the afternoon drives. From what I can see, majority of the drives are in the morning, 5am meet-up, 3-4am wake-up at least considering the drive to the meeting point. May be an unpopular topic, but what options does the club offer for the afternoon-type people? 

Alex

• Like (+1) 3

This mainly depends on the availability of the trip leads, of which some are now taking a well deserved break. 

Furthermore, the temperatures in the afternoon in July and August are still well above 40 degrees Celsius, which makes off-roading more challenging for the vehicles and also for the members if recoveries are being done. 

I am also not a morning person but gladly take a morning drive where the temps are still somewhat acceptable and we can exit by 09:00 before it really becomes scorching hot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Most of us weren't morning person incl. myself but things changed after the first drive.

Force yourself for first drive and soon you will be unable to sleep on thu night, again and start checking alarm 5 min before the set time. 😀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Alex do your first drive and you will understand.

Absolutely nothing and no one ever wakes me up in Friday morning, and I have been taking morning drives since I joined.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I guess it will be a bit of a change for me... I dig the idea of the morning drive, but waking up at 3am when you get to sleep at 1am is a bit of a challenge.. may as well don't sleep at all like the uni times before the exam. how do others manage? this goes back to the whole "larks vs owls" chronotype discussion, but it seems that the club caters for the morning birds. Happy to be proved wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

Guess it boils down to personal choice. For the sheer passion for drives and family, have adapted to the morning drive regime with afternoons/evenings then free for the family. Personally speaking, witnessing dawn and sunrise in wide open desert is worth the effort getting up early. Nine plus months on into this sport, I eagerly look forward to Friday morning drives, at times even saturdays! But that’s me :-)

as @Gaurav, and @Zixuan Huang - Charlie have said, the experience is so exciting and addictive, one keeps coming back for more. 

then there are afternoon and evening drives which we saw a lot of last couple of months. As @Fredericmentioned, availability of our wonderful leads plays an important part, I would say hang around, the club provides ample opportunities catering to most, if not all, needs.

• Like (+1) 4

Its soaring temperatures during summer even around 3 or 4 pm which puts a lot of load on your car off road . Think about getting out to shovel or recover a car in this hot summer,  its sweltering 😨 to say the least.(almost touching 50 degrees sometimes)

We all do plan afternoon drives but , as all mentioned the leads and members timing preferences incline more towards the mornings (especially in summer ). Nonetheless, dont worry we do plan afternoon drives and sometimes weekday drives too in afternoons .Come winter and you will have plenty of options and timings available to enjoy as many drives as you can.

• Like (+1) 5

First of all, welcome to the Carnity family @AlexM. I’d like to see your reaction on this thread in a month from now 😎

When the summer started in Dubai we started pulling the morning drives to earlier hours gradually to avoid the heat; 6:00 then 5:30 then 5:00 and now 4:30am. You will see how we try to be always on time and expect the same from all drivers. Every time we changed to earlier hours we expect people to come late by 5 or 10 mins.. to my surprise I arrive at the meeting point at 4:30 to find everyone already there with tires inflated, flags up and ready to go 🤣 which means they arrived at least 20mims earlier than the set time.

so as explained by our friends above, once you try it a couple of times, you will not need to set any alarms to wake you up

hope to meet you soon on the sand!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Important Information

Terms of use