•  

Roll cage safety

Gaurav

Roll cage safety for off-roaders  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is this roll cage safe for off-roading?

For some of my business travels, I have been driven in 4wd cars with roll cage. It was bolted to the chassis and thickly padded but it was restricted to the driver and passenger capsule. I have never seen roll cage that extend till the front windscreen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Depends I guess..... In general though, given the cage is properly bolted to the frame and padded, but at this point you might as well take the windshield off and drive with goggles and full race gear on, if you need this cage then you must be doing something extreme right? 

Besides I think it really depends on whether you have a body on frame or unibody chassis, this rollcage makes sense in an off road only jeep wrangle but not so much in a Grand Cherokee that you take your kids to school in. 

Image is a jeep meant to do be doing 120kmh over Rocky terrain in King Of The Hammers. Not street legal anymore. 

2014-447644-jeep-wrangler-based-off-roader-for-king-of-hammers-race1.jpg

Edited by Arman
  • Like (+1) 1

Time to clear the air.

I was super impressed to see that every one here got the correct point and said this roll cage isn't safe without the thick padding.

Any roll cage is NOT AT ALL safe without the thick padding, as it will split open the skull. Unless driver is wearing a helmet all the time. I was shocked to see this "Show Car" from one of the top off-road garages with two spare tires strapped in cargo bed for apocalypses days BUT with number plate.

God knows whether it was work in progress or finished job, as I have seen this parked in another top shop recently.

Well done @Lawrence_Chehimi to point out first.

@Niki and @Hisham Masaad good observation to point roll cage on dashboard, but it could be possible that it has support from underneath which we don't see it from outside. If its not supported then it's meaningless and will crush dashboard and windscreen and cause extensive damage than offering any level of protection.

@Rawad and @JamesThorn excellent observation for A, B and C pillar support. I too worked for 12 years with Oil and Gas upstream company and know how strict HSE boys are for these safety issues.

@Chaitanya D As per RTA, anyone can get permission to install roll cage but with properly padded version and not just plain metal bars like above. Very similar to safari companies roll-cage but for personal or commercial use and still be street legal.

@topgear you are right for safari and similar use passenger and driver head is protected. These types are usually used in racing applications as part of stage 1 safety modifications to be used with helmet at all times but without number plate.

@Arman true such tubular rock crawling roll cages aren't street legal here in UAE and even in most other countries and these boys load these toys on trailer for playtime.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use