•  

COVID19 Compliant - Absolute Newbie Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra - Dubai - 16 Jul 2021

Srikumar

One of the best off-road club rides I’ve joined or been a part of! Thank you @Srikumar & @Nivin for being such amazing sports as marshals 🙏

You guys solved challenges on the spot making this such an easy thing for me (and I’m certain the others) to enter and meld into.Some real lessons today, on what to do when it goes wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Trip Report

An amazing morning with lovely weather. Also, the presence of more than a few drivers that were driving in the sand for the first time made the challenge all the more exciting.  

Almost everyone reached the meeting point before time which is much appreciated as we have limited cool hours in the summer months. Just as we were about to leave one of the vehicles had a leaking valve stem and as there was one remaining car that had to deflate we decided to help change the tyre with the spare one. 

After a proper briefing we ventured on our offroad adventure. The advantage of driving in summer is that there are just a handful of offroad clubs that are active and hence we were greeted by absolute virgin sand. However, the high winds of the past couple of days had altered some of the dune formations in the area resulting in a more cautions approach on some of the dunes. While it seemed we had hard sand, once the top surface was disturbed it brought out the soft sand which resulted in more than a fair share of refusals, but nothing that couldn't be handled. The majority of refusals was because of one of the two reasons :

1. Stopping in the wrong place. Always stop on a flat surface or with the car pointing downwards

2. Donot fight gravity as you can never beat mother nature.

My second lead was @munkybizness who was in his Super Safari and did quite a good job of listening to the instructions and more important acknowledging them regularly. There were places that you were a bit close to my car resulting in refusals, but that is all a part of the learning. For me, the highlight was your self recovery during the second half of the drive. Well done.

@Damien Ranjit was honestly the car I was kinda worried about prior to the start of the drive, but you managed the entire drive extremely well with minimal refusals. Bravo

@jerzen provided us with the scare moment of the drive, but even then you managed the situation in those split seconds extremely well to get out of that tricky spot. Also, if you plan to make this a weekend hobby I wouldn't bother worrying about a bit of sand inside your car. 😄

@ASHFAQ HUSSAIN . @eldose babyand @Alexanderrr demonstrated some very nice skills with minimum refusals. Nicely done guys.

@Pieter Potgieter while struggled in the beginning with his wrangler, but once w e reduced the pressure a bit further he had a smooth sailing in the remainder of the drive. Just to show the importance of the right tyre pressure which can vary from vehicle to vehicle. 

@Ramandbx had a beautiful SWB Wrangler and drove it quite well. That is a fun ride to have in the sand, especially once you have mastered the right technique. So keep practicing.

@AlexM was probably the guy with zero refusals through the drive while being at the end of the convoy. Your previous experience in snow did show and you did extremely well. Well done.

Finally, a big shout out to @Nivin for supporting not only this AN drive, but so many of my earlier drives when you were just a Fewbie. It was great to drive with you after a long time and look forward to catching up soon once again. 

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7:00 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. If you miss a spot, put your name on the waitlist asap. Generally, by Thursday with dropouts everyone does get a spot if they have waitlisted. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag, compressor and radio as a minimum. 

• Learn to deflate your tires and checking them precisely
  • Learn to fix a flag on your car
  • Learn to program and fully charge your radio

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level. There is a separate tutorial inside which explains which radio we recommend and how to program them: (Please do not buy the Baofeng 888S spare radio we gave you, as these cannot be programmed without a special cable and software).

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

See you guys soon on the sand. Take care. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

Well said @Srikumar! Sorry for the scare, but hey what’s a sport without a little extreme? I’m glad I was able to maneuver out of the situation. All thanks to Carnity’s briefing video and the instructions we were given during the drive’s briefing. 

It was really well organized and everyone drove amazingly even though we were all relatively new to this. 

Looking forward to future drives!

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Srikumar said:

Trip Report

An amazing morning with lovely weather. Also, the presence of more than a few drivers that were driving in the sand for the first time made the challenge all the more exciting.  

Almost everyone reached the meeting point before time which is much appreciated as we have limited cool hours in the summer months. Just as we were about to leave one of the vehicles had a leaking valve stem and as there was one remaining car that had to deflate we decided to help change the tyre with the spare one. 

After a proper briefing we ventured on our offroad adventure. The advantage of driving in summer is that there are just a handful of offroad clubs that are active and hence we were greeted by absolute virgin sand. However, the high winds of the past couple of days had altered some of the dune formations in the area resulting in a more cautions approach on some of the dunes. While it seemed we had hard sand, once the top surface was disturbed it brought out the soft sand which resulted in more than a fair share of refusals, but nothing that couldn't be handled. The majority of refusals was because of one of the two reasons :

1. Stopping in the wrong place. Always stop on a flat surface or with the car pointing downwards

2. Donot fight gravity as you can never beat mother nature.

My second lead was @munkybizness who was in his Super Safari and did quite a good job of listening to the instructions and more important acknowledging them regularly. There were places that you were a bit close to my car resulting in refusals, but that is all a part of the learning. For me, the highlight was your self recovery during the second half of the drive. Well done.

@Damien Ranjit was honestly the car I was kinda worried about prior to the start of the drive, but you managed the entire drive extremely well with minimal refusals. Bravo

@jerzen provided us with the scare moment of the drive, but even then you managed the situation in those split seconds extremely well to get out of that tricky spot. Also, if you plan to make this a weekend hobby I wouldn't bother worrying about a bit of sand inside your car. 😄

@ASHFAQ HUSSAIN . @eldose babyand @Alexanderrr demonstrated some very nice skills with minimum refusals. Nicely done guys.

@Pieter Potgieter while struggled in the beginning with his wrangler, but once w e reduced the pressure a bit further he had a smooth sailing in the remainder of the drive. Just to show the importance of the right tyre pressure which can vary from vehicle to vehicle. 

@Ramandbx had a beautiful SWB Wrangler and drove it quite well. That is a fun ride to have in the sand, especially once you have mastered the right technique. So keep practicing.

@AlexM was probably the guy with zero refusals through the drive while being at the end of the convoy. Your previous experience in snow did show and you did extremely well. Well done.

Finally, a big shout out to @Nivin for supporting not only this AN drive, but so many of my earlier drives when you were just a Fewbie. It was great to drive with you after a long time and look forward to catching up soon once again. 

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7:00 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. If you miss a spot, put your name on the waitlist asap. Generally, by Thursday with dropouts everyone does get a spot if they have waitlisted. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag, compressor and radio as a minimum. 

• Learn to deflate your tires and checking them precisely
  • Learn to fix a flag on your car
  • Learn to program and fully charge your radio

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level. There is a separate tutorial inside which explains which radio we recommend and how to program them: (Please do not buy the Baofeng 888S spare radio we gave you, as these cannot be programmed without a special cable and software).

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

See you guys soon on the sand. Take care. 

First off all I would like to thank both @Sreekumar and @Navin to help me change the tyre and to rest of the team to keep their patience. It was indeed a wonderful trip and i did enjoy every bit. 
 There was a great team spirit and the whole thing went very well. Looking forward to the next trip with Carnity. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use