•  

Abu Dhabi List of Desert Drive Tracks endorsed by Department of Culture and Tourism :)

Zed

3 minutes ago, Kailas said:

Good job @Zed.

This post is already tempting me to try one of these for my upcoming Sweihan drive this Saturday.

That's why the Meeting Point is still TBD!!!! 😂

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

No more PCR required for vaccinated residents... let's go Abu Dhabi !!! 

Absolutely, it is the best news for off-roaders.

Btw, where it says that its only for Vaccinated residents?

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

I think the difference for unvaccinated is only when you’d need to do a PCR in Abi Dhabi (day 4 ?) …. Which is irte lava y if you enter just for the day 

@PaoloMaraziti @Gaurav i have confirmation from someone passing yesterday that the border structure is there (cars still slowing down to not crash into posts) but nobody is manning them nor checking for any Al Hosn. The Vaccinated Remark is for entering malls and government buildings... some restaurants also ask for Al Hosn as proof of vaccines but some don't check... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zed said:

@PaoloMaraziti @Gaurav i have confirmation from someone passing yesterday that the border structure is there (cars still slowing down to not crash into posts) but nobody is manning them nor checking for any Al Hosn. The Vaccinated Remark is for entering malls and government buildings... some restaurants also ask for Al Hosn as proof of vaccines but some don't check... 

That's a fantastic and much needed update @Zed. Thanks a lot.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2021 at 6:26 PM, Zed said:

6. Liwa Crossing (Advanced according to DCTAD, near the Saudi border, save this for Winter-time driving)

This is an advanced route with huge dunes, some of the largest in the UAE. There are some very tricky crossings and this remote route may take 1.5-2 days to complete. Make sure you take everything you need with you - early exit from this route is not possible.

Liwa Crossing Google Maps Track / KML file that can be imported to GPS app here

Just curious: has anyone here done this route? perhaps @Gaurav, @Frederic@Ruan van den Heever, @Srikumar?

21 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Just curious: has anyone here done this route? perhaps @Gaurav, @Frederic@Ruan van den Heever, @Srikumar?

We have tried and failed to do proper Liwa crossing in 2017, 18 and 19 with endless fencing from military area, oil and gas and conservation fence.

Now the recent one are the seismic study bull-dozer track.

As above track is issued by DCTAD, it looks promising and worth trying again.

• Like (+1) 2

Hi @Mario Cornejo, I have been through there. Mostly, I am not afraid to take on challenges, with a bit of common sense, preparation and a lot of calm demeanor most situations can be solved. But for this crossing I would not recommend you take along a nervous driver or one with no previous experience. The drive kept me humble. Wednesday's Yellow truck drive will be challenging but in my opinion, not even comparable to the Liwa crossing route. The Liwa crossing route has enormous dunes, from start to finish. Typical powder-like Liwa sand and will challenge you. And yes, once you enter, you either exit at the entry or the end point. Going South will take you to Saudi, trying to exit North will be just as far as pushing through with the added difficulty if driving against the slip faces of dunes. 

That being said, if you want to experience the absolute beauty of the desert, barren nature at it's best you have to take on this drive. Just remember to organize two or three vehicles to join you......you have my number if you ever have a spot to fill. I will gladly do it again 😆😆

Oh and lastly, I would recommend doing the drive over two days and not one. It is way to breathtakingly beautiful to cross in a single day.

I stand to be corrected on this opinion.

Btw....at the time I did the route I had not been introduced to Giaia. 😪 But I did create a track with waypoints and coordinates.

• WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

13 hours ago, Ruan van den Heever said:

Oh and lastly, I would recommend doing the drive over two days and not one. It is way to breathtakingly beautiful to cross in a single day.

Unless it is another DCT competition ... 😅

• Haha (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use