•  

Abu Dhabi List of Desert Drive Tracks endorsed by Department of Culture and Tourism :)

Zed

If it weren’t for all the hassle of tests etc, many from the north of E11 would be regularly be driving in the South.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

7 minutes ago, Goutam said:

If it weren’t for all the hassle of tests etc, many from the north of E11 would be regularly be driving in the South.

So true...hv only tried Sweihan once (DPI worked that time) was an extraordinary experience..   hopeful in couple of months weather n COVID situations will both get better... N we will have more rides across the Emirates. 

• Like (+1) 5

Thank you @Zed for sharing this nice information. I even didn’t know that DCTAD had such a nice info to refer to . 
well I guess , after reading this , it’s time to browse the internet for camping stuff seriously now before prices hits up approaching the season peak 🤣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

7 hours ago, Goutam said:

Well after my first experience which is just “ tip of an iceberg “ copy right @Frederic I wouldn’t mind the stick in the nose every second or third week 🤣 especially in winter time 😎

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

2 hours ago, M.Seidam said:

, it’s time to browse the internet for camping stuff seriously now before prices hits up approaching the season peak 🤣

@M.Seidam According to Al Sadeem Astronomy below, the Sunrise is coming later approaching 6am and the Sunset is slowly coming earlier approaching 7pm. Daytime is definitely becoming shorter, in the words of G.O.T, "Winter is Coming!!!" 😁 so yes let's start our camping gear shopping now before everyone else jumps in and hike up the prices 😂

7497A958-20C6-405A-9E1C-32D7B9BA21D8.jpeg.527256018099850a6c648f5357bc43a7.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

@M.Seidam @Zed - super idea to get the camping gear ready early.  the past Ramadan offers from ARB were superb (Cot Bed and their 1 person tent + table and chairs etc).  With Eid coming up, maybe we can create a new post sharing any of these that come up and a general chat about camping gear/prep? (i think one already exists for camping kit). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@Niki @Zed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

On 7/10/2021 at 6:26 PM, Zed said:

Now that we have more Fewbies in Abu Dhabi and even coming from outside, plus to help the R&D / Exploration Department of @Frederic, @Chaitanya D, @Kailas , I'll list here the tracks that were endorsed by DCTAD (Department of Culture and Tourism) and mentioned in VisitAbuDhabi page (just in case the page is offline in the future).

I've only tried one-and-half of these tracks: Remah to Nagrah route and that's because it's marked "Easy". I didn't find it that "easy" since Remah is soft sand + technical up-down & criss-cross; maybe a good warm-up before reaching Nagrah and playing with power & speed. The other half is Al Fayah South to Khaznah, maybe we can do that for Al Fayah Part 2 Fewbie+ next time 😁

Anyways for the rest of the trails, I prefer someone more senior to guide me and hopefully these will be inspirational for future Abu Dhabi drives:

1. Remah to Sweihan (Easy according to DCTAD, but I would categorize it "Fewbie")

One of the highlights of the Al Remah Route is an authentic Camel Racing Track. Close by, you will find the Telal Nature Reserve with the possibility of spotting some deer. Other highlights include beautiful desert trees near Tawi Naqara and an amazing selection of high dunes, beautiful Gaff trees.

Remah Google Maps Track / KML file that can be imported to GPS app here

RemahToSweihan.png.f544b3676b19342290a1843c0f079083.png

2. Wagan To White Sands (Easy according to DCTAD, but I haven't ventured here, maybe Fred will start this trip for Fewbie 😁 )

Regularly driven by Bedu (local farmers), there are often tracks to follow. Can be done in reverse, however in some areas it will be more difficult. Be mindful of water pits, as the groundwater table is very close to the surface. Look out for camels, including camels training for racing, usually later in the day and early morning.

Wagan Google Maps Track / KML file that can be imported to GPS app here

Wagan.png.b5ffac161db6bb8d410e37ba52acc0a7.png

3. Al Fayah to Al Khazna Route (Advanced according to DCTAD, cc @Frederic this is the "southern" side of Fayah that I was talking about in our Faya Exploration Fewbie+ trip)

This advanced route takes three to four hours to complete, with steep climbs, sharp drops, deep bowls and highly technical dunes.

Khazna Google Maps Track / KML file that can be imported to GPS app here

Khazna.png.4a995cb05f01b18d1601622d8a9c68b5.png

4. Umm al Oush (Intermediate/Advanced according to DCTAD, near the border of Oman)

Advanced moves required, like side-sloping and side-cresting. Easier to tackle with a long wheel-based car that has a 2” lift. Can’t be done in reverse. Sights include enormous dunes, starfish dunes (cc @Frederic), and incredible scenery.

Umm al Oush Google Maps Track / KML file that can be imported to GPS app here

aloush.png.53efa07fdbb3f4800f2ab2131ef025a6.png

5. Hameem Loop / Tropic of Cancer (Intermediate according to DCTAD, near the Saudi border, save this for Winter-time driving)

Expect slipfaces and deep bowls. Can’t be done in reverse. Sights include plenty of gazelle, an abandoned Nissan Patrol and solar power bank, and camel and goat farms.

Hameem Loop Google Maps Track / KML file that can be imported to GPS app here

hameem.png.6bce482aac96119a5d7dd79e3b14af50.png

6. Liwa Crossing (Advanced according to DCTAD, near the Saudi border, save this for Winter-time driving)

This is an advanced route with huge dunes, some of the largest in the UAE. There are some very tricky crossings and this remote route may take 1.5-2 days to complete. Make sure you take everything you need with you - early exit from this route is not possible.

Liwa Crossing Google Maps Track / KML file that can be imported to GPS app here

Liwa.png.4355c2ac6f850f2e63f0b6111c02641c.png

Source: Visit Abu Dhabi page - Offroad Driving

Good job @Zed.

This post is already tempting me to try one of these for my upcoming Sweihan drive this Saturday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use