•  

COVID19 Compliant - Absolute Newbie Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra - Dubai - 23 Jul 2021

Gaurav

• Please share your vehicle details - Make, Model, Year.

Land Cruiser, 2006.

• Do you have any prior off-road experience?

No

• Confirm your vehicle has front and rear tow hooks / eyelets.

Yes 

• Confirm your vehicle has minimum of 8 inches of ground clearance.

yes 

looking forward!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Updated convoy list

1. Gaurav                 1999 Pajero
  2. eldose baby         2017 Lexus GX 460
  3. Joji varghese        2009 Fortuner 2.7
  4. Mohamad Ziad    2007 Hummer H3
  5. AbdullaB              2006 Land Cruiser
  6. Rsjiv Samuel        2021 FJ Cruiser
  7. Tom V                  2014 Xterra Off Road
  8. Vanessa               2008 Pajero
  • Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@GauravAs a newbie, I learn a few valuable lesson this morning, so I want to share them with the community.

The background is as follow.

1. I arrived at location for the drive.
  2. When checking for the front tow I could not find it.
  3. As a result I missed the drive.
  4. While re inflating, I decided to look again with calm and then I found the “secret door” (see picture) the tow eye fits and screws on no problem.

it is important to know that the night before I did read the manual (see screen shot), but I did not check, assuming the tow must have been where the picture indicated. Unfortunately it was not. Funny I did check the rear tow…

Lesson  

1. Even if you read the manual, you must double check before the drive. 

2. If I had remained calm, I probably would have noticed the port. It was dark so I should have lighted the area better. Plenty of people with powerful headlights :-)

3. Safety first! I am grateful to @Gaurav because he did not allow me to go for the drive,  demonstrating the safety leadership I expect from a 4x4 community. 

4. Now I know this is the right place for me to grow and enjoy!

Thank you ALL!

91A86D85-F811-4546-BFBB-19654B844CF2.jpeg

• Well Done (+2) 2

Trip Report

After a long time, I have done an Absolute Newbie drive and thoroughly enjoyed today with absolutely amazing drivers and cars. We started on time as usual and we drove for over 40 km in 3h:30m drive time. Started with an intro on the sand track and slowly moved to the dunes to practice the vehicle dynamic on different angles on the sand. After the initial introduction, the fun stuff started that most of the drivers enjoyed with a big smile and had a bit of hesitation in the beginning and after few attempts of rainbow and arc, they thoroughly went through flawlessly and asked for more. Everyone holds very good control, patience, and teamwork towards an end when we entered and backtrack from technical dunes to escape.

@eldose baby your control of taming Lexus power and managing on the downhill with precision shows your level head. It's a very good luxury SUV that you can safely use till Newbie to Fewbie level but with a caution of the front bumper under plastic tray that I have pointed today. It has more power than Prado and must be awesome to drive at a higher level, but with proper underbody protection if you like to use the same vehicle for a long time.

@Joji varghese as I said 2.7 is just a number in the beginning in the case of your Fortuner as the majority depends on the driver and you proved it right by managing it perfectly today without any stuck. Break this number barrier from your mind and focus on working with skills and this Fortuner can really go places even up to the Intermediate level depending on your driving ability and skills.

@Mohamad Ziad Alhennawi your Hummer H3 and your driving skills shine bright today and haven't seen or heard any refusal mean you were in complete sync throughout the drive. Well done, keep it up and work on your communication skills as explained, because while driving in a convoy we usually depend a lot on point-to-point clear communication to help other drivers around. 

@AbdullaB your LC100 reminds me of my first day in offroading and exactly how I broke the lower lip like you did today as a gift to the desert god. There is nothing more to shed in this beast, so keep going. You did great today except for one minor hard landing (no big deal), work on practicing your brake a little harder after crossing the ridge and you will avoid any nose dives or hard landing in the future. Thanks, @Aisha S for mentoring Abdulla and not scaring him much ;-)

@Rsjiv Samuel you were fantastic in your brand few desert toy, FJC, one of the best offroaders. Keep learning the right driving skills and FJC can easily scale up to any level in the future depending on your off-roading appetite. You were amazing and flawless today.

@Tom V the choice of Nissan Xterra offroad version is amazing as these are the last of best offroader Nissan has produced and you have secured the low mileage vehicle as an awesome deal. Keep enjoining and be sensible you really don't need to worry about any changes anytime soon. Keep your inquisitive nature as that helps a lot in learning the tricks of offroading so that you can enjoy weekly drives safely and confidently.

@Vanessa8580 thanks a lot for your excellent support and eagle eyes on the whole convoy today. See you after your holiday break and enjoy Belgian cold weather during Dubai summer.

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7:00 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. If you miss a spot, put your name on the waitlist asap. Generally, by Thursday with dropouts everyone does get a spot if they have waitlisted. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag, compressor and radio as a minimum. 

• Learn to deflate your tires and checking them precisely
  • Learn to fix a flag on your car
  • Learn to program and fully charge your radio

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level. There is a separate tutorial inside which explains which radio we recommend and how to program them: (Please do not buy the Baofeng 888S spare radio we gave you, as these cannot be programmed without a special cable and software).

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

See you guys soon on the sand. Take care. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Enrico Biscaro I'm glad that you have figured out the tow point mounting hole in your Mercedes today.

I thank you and your family for their utter maturity and sensibility to understand the importance of safety.

Trust me, we as a trip lead feels more bad and sad to send anyone back, but emotions have to take a back seat when safety is in question. We only require a strong and rated tow point from your vehicle to rescue from difficult stuck and in absence of one, the recovery process is extremely risky, tedious, and sometimes even impossible.

Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to driving with you soon.

• Well Done (+2) 1

@Gaurav 

Thank you so much for the feedback on today's drive and being and absolute beast of a captain and leader. It was my first off roading experience and I would say today's experience was definitely a crash course on how to ride the runes, respect mother nature, importance of safety, and how to have a fun. I cannot thank you, @Vanessa8580, and @Aisha S for giving me to the confidence to explore this hobby and I must say I'm already hooked! There is definitely a lot of things I learnt today and I'm hungry to learn more and enjoy this further! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Trip Report

After a long time, I have done an Absolute Newbie drive and thoroughly enjoyed today with absolutely amazing drivers and cars. We started on time as usual and we drove for over 40 km in 3h:30m drive time. Started with an intro on the sand track and slowly moved to the dunes to practice the vehicle dynamic on different angles on the sand. After the initial introduction, the fun stuff started that most of the drivers enjoyed with a big smile and had a bit of hesitation in the beginning and after few attempts of rainbow and arc, they thoroughly went through flawlessly and asked for more. Everyone holds very good control, patience, and teamwork towards an end when we entered and backtrack from technical dunes to escape.

@eldose baby your control of taming Lexus power and managing on the downhill with precision shows your level head. It's a very good luxury SUV that you can safely use till Newbie to Fewbie level but with a caution of the front bumper under plastic tray that I have pointed today. It has more power than Prado and must be awesome to drive at a higher level, but with proper underbody protection if you like to use the same vehicle for a long time.

@Joji varghese as I said 2.7 is just a number in the beginning in the case of your Fortuner as the majority depends on the driver and you proved it right by managing it perfectly today without any stuck. Break this number barrier from your mind and focus on working with skills and this Fortuner can really go places even up to the Intermediate level depending on your driving ability and skills.

@Mohamad Ziad Alhennawi your Hummer H3 and your driving skills shine bright today and haven't seen or heard any refusal mean you were in complete sync throughout the drive. Well done, keep it up and work on your communication skills as explained, because while driving in a convoy we usually depend a lot on point-to-point clear communication to help other drivers around. 

@AbdullaB your LC100 reminds me of my first day in offroading and exactly how I broke the lower lip like you did today as a gift to the desert god. There is nothing more to shed in this beast, so keep going. You did great today except for one minor hard landing (no big deal), work on practicing your brake a little harder after crossing the ridge and you will avoid any nose dives or hard landing in the future. Thanks, @Aisha S for mentoring Abdulla and not scaring him much

@Rsjiv Samuel you were fantastic in your brand few desert toy, FJC, one of the best offroaders. Keep learning the right driving skills and FJC can easily scale up to any level in the future depending on your off-roading appetite. You were amazing and flawless today.

@Tom V the choice of Nissan Xterra offroad version is amazing as these are the last of best offroader Nissan has produced and you have secured the low mileage vehicle as an awesome deal. Keep enjoining and be sensible you really don't need to worry about any changes anytime soon. Keep your inquisitive nature as that helps a lot in learning the tricks of offroading so that you can enjoy weekly drives safely and confidently.

@Vanessa8580 thanks a lot for your excellent support and eagle eyes on the whole convoy today. See you after your holiday break and enjoy Belgian cold weather during Dubai summer.

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7:00 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. If you miss a spot, put your name on the waitlist asap. Generally, by Thursday with dropouts everyone does get a spot if they have waitlisted. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag, compressor and radio as a minimum. 

• Learn to deflate your tires and checking them precisely
  • Learn to fix a flag on your car
  • Learn to program and fully charge your radio

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level. There is a separate tutorial inside which explains which radio we recommend and how to program them: (Please do not buy the Baofeng 888S spare radio we gave you, as these cannot be programmed without a special cable and software).

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

See you guys soon on the sand. Take care. 

Oh i’m harmless 👶🏻

It’s my first time driving (in the passenger seat) with you and I was very impressed. You’re a very good leader. Thank you for everything! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gaurav said:

@Enrico Biscaro I'm glad that you have figured out the tow point mounting hole in your Mercedes today.

I thank you and your family for their utter maturity and sensibility to understand the importance of safety.

Trust me, we as a trip lead feels more bad and sad to send anyone back, but emotions have to take a back seat when safety is in question. We only require a strong and rated tow point from your vehicle to rescue from difficult stuck and in absence of one, the recovery process is extremely risky, tedious, and sometimes even impossible.

Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to driving with you soon.

Good morning @Enrico Biscaro I think we had the same experience. First experience with @Carnity is that I joined for one month. One AN drive was good, then the last day in that month I joined the first NB drive. Had my family with me, reached meeting point, deflated, flag on. Went to the lead and asked him for the radio (thinking radio to be given same AN), he said no more, you need to have the radio. Sent me back😢. Since every thing was ready, thought will go for solo drive close to the main road, in case something wrong at least I am not far in the desert. At the first slope, every one was screaming in back seat. Immediately stopped, and found I was so lucky to be sent back. Since then no one is joining except my son Abdelghani. Next day registered for a year, since was confident this is my place, and radio was ready😀😀😀. Apologies for the long story

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

@Gaurav. @Vanessa8580 thank you so much for your efforts in yesterday drive I really enjoyed and learned a lot of off-road technic  and definitely I will work on my communications on radio next time. Thank you again and hope seeing you in upcoming drives.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Aisha S said:

Oh i’m harmless 👶🏻

Oh yes, you are.

I rem seeing Abdulla mouth was wide open while climbing that dune after 14 PSI, as if he is breathing from mouth and pushing LC upward from drivers seat.

• Haha (+1) 4

Important Information

Terms of use