•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Tawi Marathon - Sharjah - 23 Jul 2021

Wrangeld

8 minutes ago, Danish Mohammad said:

Hi @Wrangeld Eid Mubarak 

Thanks for an early update ... i m so excited for this drive because its my first IM and fully prepare to face challenges keeping in mind that safety first.

love the convoy list as four Pajero’s are together👌

I request.. please post meeting point link and radio channel frequency number.

Thanks 😊

image.png.75739af972dbd4974ef5ef0385e10ba2.png

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Danish Mohammad said:

Hi @Wrangeld Eid Mubarak 

Thanks for an early update ... i m so excited for this drive because its my first IM and fully prepare to face challenges keeping in mind that safety first.

love the convoy list as four Pajero’s are together👌

I request.. please post meeting point link and radio channel frequency number.

Thanks 😊

Meeting point is posted. Radio channel 10

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

Meeting point is posted. Radio channel 10

Looking forward, been 2 weeks since explored the sand.... Squeezed between two Raptors, jeep is up for challenge and ready to Roar!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Looking forward, been 2 weeks since explored the sand.... Squeezed between two Raptors, jeep is up for challenge and ready to Roar!!!

Torn between two Raptors .. good name for a song. 

See you tomorrow

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Thanks @Wrangeld, it was really a fun drive!!! Hope you organize more of this over landing drive during winter were we can extend the drive and enjoy more with few breaks. It was very different terrain and drive, loved it. Thanks for the team effort in fixing my pop out. Hope every one enjoyed today and thanks to @Wrangeld, @Abdul Rahman AK, @Danish Mohammad, @Niki, @Ashok chaturvedi, @Dodi Syahdar and @Watteau  and special thanks to the brief cloudy weather and few seconds of drizzle, which was a nice treat!!! Few pics posted in the gallery!!!

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Hi @Wrangeld sorry won't be able to make it, woke up with some stiffness in neck- returning back from half the way won't be comfortable driving with it. . See you all soon. Have a safe drive. 

Realized later that posted it in other thread...sorry @Wrangeld for last min change had to come back from the way as realized wouldnt have been able to go through the drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

Post Drive Report

Starting in Maleha for the first time in absolutely ages brought back memories of my first Carnity drives what seems like years ago (but is actually less than 2 years). In the 'old' days, we met at the ADNOC on the 102 and then drove in a convoy to the deflation point. 

I am not sure if this was to keep our deflation points a secret or to make sure that latecomers had no chance of finding the convoy. Today(almost) everyone arrived on time and we got under way. A night (or dark drive) around Maleha was a pleasure and an opportunity to find some old 'playgrounds' that I rarely visit. One of these in the dark, one in the gloom and one in daylight: all without tracks and so those that wanted to play had the chance. 

To my cost I managed to land my car on an unassuming hump from which I was removed with assistance - and had nasty noises coming from under the car after that the whole drive. Inevitably, it sort of restricted my adventurous ambitions as I felt I was nursing both myself (for other reasons) and the car. Perhaps I should have taken Dr's advice, but did not want to cancel the drive or cut it short. 

Escaping from Fossil Rock we had a great flowing ride towards Faya turning away to find the roundabout that would let us enter the next stage of our odyssey. This was a completely unexplored area for me. It's not often visited because there is a lot of vegetation and finding a flowing route and challenging dunes for IM ranked drivers is difficult. As we found today, there was also a lot (and I mean a lot) of very soft sand patches. 

Having taken less than 2 hours to cover the Fossil Rock part of the drive in good time, I was hopeful for the chance to cross at 2nd December and make it to Big Red - but it was not to be. We had too many stucks, stops, pop outs and deflating tires to really allow that. 

We will come back to this drive to 'complete' the marathon and start at 2nd December. 

Everyone did really well today. @Abdul Rahman AK deserves a medal for recovering me more than once, @Watteau was as ever impeccable in sweep - and the truth is that everyone @Danish Mohammad @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Niki @Ashok chaturvedi @Dodi Syahdar drove very well. It was a very different style of IM drive, intentionally so. IM drivers need to not only be able to criss-cross, ridge ride and climb but also adapt to different landscapes and enjoy different types of drive conditions. An exploration means that you have to deal with what ever comes in the drive: as everyone managed today. 

Thanks for the amazing team work and contributions from all. There were sections today with absolute radio silence: always a good sign in my view, so it was not all bad!

See you soon in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use