•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Tawi Marathon - Sharjah - 23 Jul 2021

Wrangeld

Thank you @Wrangeld, it was surely a challenging drive with very random trains.. I hope you get that noise coming from your car fixed in no time and at a reasonable cost!

Thank you @Danish Mohammad, @Lakshmi Narasimhan@Niki, @Ashok chaturvedi, @Dodi Syahdar and @Watteau for being there today with so much enthusiasm, enjoyed your company. 

see you all soon in the sand!

• Like (+1) 3

@Wrangeld thank you even more so knowing you ignored your Dr advice and took us out driving again!  An hour night driving and playing in the bowls in the dark really has got me out of my comfort zone and am feeling more confident than ever to try a full night drive - thank you and the massive-light-rig brigade @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Watteau @Ashok chaturvedi who made it feel like we were driving with flood lights in the massive bowl. 

@Lakshmi Narasimhan I insist and may start a petition to have you restore your last/final edition Pajero to stock and keep it as a museum piece… it’s too nice to be getting sandy! That said the gadgets were super useful today and we all learnt how to best use the winch!  Also the durability of the geolandars is something else… hopeful after a good clean they are undamaged.

Was a pleasure being on @Danish Mohammad @Abdul Rahman AK first intermediate drive and both did great … it felt like a newbie reunion for us!  @Dodi Syahdar @Ashok chaturvedi always a pleasure and looking forward to future rides. 

@varunmehndiratta missed you today but hope you are recovering. 

looking forward to part 2 of this trip! 

Edited by Niki
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

Post Drive Report

Starting in Maleha for the first time in absolutely ages brought back memories of my first Carnity drives what seems like years ago (but is actually less than 2 years). In the 'old' days, we met at the ADNOC on the 102 and then drove in a convoy to the deflation point. 

I am not sure if this was to keep our deflation points a secret or to make sure that latecomers had no chance of finding the convoy. Today(almost) everyone arrived on time and we got under way. A night (or dark drive) around Maleha was a pleasure and an opportunity to find some old 'playgrounds' that I rarely visit. One of these in the dark, one in the gloom and one in daylight: all without tracks and so those that wanted to play had the chance. 

To my cost I managed to land my car on an unassuming hump from which I was removed with assistance - and had nasty noises coming from under the car after that the whole drive. Inevitably, it sort of restricted my adventurous ambitions as I felt I was nursing both myself (for other reasons) and the car. Perhaps I should have taken Dr's advice, but did not want to cancel the drive or cut it short. 

Escaping from Fossil Rock we had a great flowing ride towards Faya turning away to find the roundabout that would let us enter the next stage of our odyssey. This was a completely unexplored area for me. It's not often visited because there is a lot of vegetation and finding a flowing route and challenging dunes for IM ranked drivers is difficult. As we found today, there was also a lot (and I mean a lot) of very soft sand patches. 

Having taken less than 2 hours to cover the Fossil Rock part of the drive in good time, I was hopeful for the chance to cross at 2nd December and make it to Big Red - but it was not to be. We had too many stucks, stops, pop outs and deflating tires to really allow that. 

We will come back to this drive to 'complete' the marathon and start at 2nd December. 

Everyone did really well today. @Abdul Rahman AK deserves a medal for recovering me more than once, @Watteau was as ever impeccable in sweep - and the truth is that everyone @Danish Mohammad @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Niki @Ashok chaturvedi @Dodi Syahdar drove very well. It was a very different style of IM drive, intentionally so. IM drivers need to not only be able to criss-cross, ridge ride and climb but also adapt to different landscapes and enjoy different types of drive conditions. An exploration means that you have to deal with what ever comes in the drive: as everyone managed today. 

Thanks for the amazing team work and contributions from all. There were sections today with absolute radio silence: always a good sign in my view, so it was not all bad!

See you soon in the sand. 

Thank you @Wrangeld for your great lead that provide us the trip with variety of terrain through the exploration drive.  Thank you also for  @Watteau for great sweep... just worry I'm driving too slow in front of you 600hp upgraded Raptor... happy to meet @Abdul Rahman AK @Danish Mohammad @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Niki @Ashok chaturvedi .. see you soon in another trip. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Niki said:

@Wrangeld thank you even more so knowing you ignored your Dr advice and took us out driving again!  An hour night driving and playing in the bowls in the dark really has got me out of my comfort zone and am feeling more confident than ever to try a full night drive - thank you and the massive-light-rig brigade @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Watteau @Ashok chaturvedi who made it feel like we were driving with flood lights in the massive bowl. 

@Lakshmi Narasimhan I insist and may start a petition to have you restore your last/final edition Pajero to stock and keep it as a museum piece… it’s too nice to be getting sandy! That said the gadgets were super useful today and we all learnt how to best use the winch!  Also the durability of the geolandars is something else… hopeful after a good clean they are undamaged.

Was a pleasure being on @Danish Mohammad @Abdul Rahman AK first intermediate drive and both did great … it felt like a newbie reunion for us!  @Dodi Syahdar @Ashok chaturvedi always a pleasure and looking forward to future rides. 

@varunmehndiratta missed you today but hope you are recovering. 

looking forward to part 2 of this trip! 

Thanks @Niki this recovery seems will take it's time...after effect of visiting gym after a long break. I don't know why I always forget the rule - logically we pay to get our work done so that we don't have to sweat ...not pay the gym and sweat...😂😂

I surely missed being on this wonderful drive was looking forward to it (ofcourse the description from @Wrangeld is further adding to my pain of missing out) More than that the cupcakes in my car missed you all - we have been blessed with a little doll just 11 days back (that's why wasn't on drives for two weeks). Not an issue there is always the next drive and always a new box of cupcake...and hopefully soon our little one on one of these drives..😃 See you all soon. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1

2 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:we have been blessed with a little doll just 11 days back (that's why wasn't on drives for two weeks). Not an issue there is always the next drive and always a new box of cupcake...and hopefully soon our little one on one of these drives..😃 See you all soon. 

Wow!! Many many congratulations @varunmehndiratta for the new addition to your family!! Such wonderful news and being tired as a new dad isn’t so difficult after being tired after every early summer drive :) 

May you daughter bring you fortune and happiness and look forward to celebrating (socially distanced of course :)) when we next are on a ride! 🥂🥂🥂🥂

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Thanks @Niki this recovery seems will take it's time...after effect of visiting gym after a long break. I don't know why I always forget the rule - logically we pay to get our work done so that we don't have to sweat ...not pay the gym and sweat...😂😂

I surely missed being on this wonderful drive was looking forward to it (ofcourse the description from @Wrangeld is further adding to my pain of missing out) More than that the cupcakes in my car missed you all - we have been blessed with a little doll just 11 days back (that's why wasn't on drives for two weeks). Not an issue there is always the next drive and always a new box of cupcake...and hopefully soon our little one on one of these drives..😃 See you all soon. 

Congratulations @varunmehndiratta for the new baby

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

we have been blessed with a little doll just 11 days back

Congrats for the new addition to your family. Wish your adorable daughter fill your family with joy!!! Take your time before taking her for a ride on the sand!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

@varunmehndiratta congratulations on the birth of your baby ... No more problems with early starts. You'll be up anyhow. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use