•  

COVID19 Compliant - Wednesday Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Shuwaib - Sharjah - 21 Jul 2021

Srikumar

Hi @Thomas Varghese 

I personally , and many others , drive all around on and off roads on A/T Geo 75/70/16 since my AN and I am happy with them . No noise on road , great on sand for what we do . Even with the stock suspension I have no rubbing or any other issues .

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, M.Seidam said:

Hi @Thomas Varghese 

I personally , and many others , drive all around on and off roads on A/T Geo 75/70/16 since my AN and I am happy with them . No noise on road , great on sand for what we do . Even with the stock suspension I have no rubbing or any other issues .

Thanks @M.Seidam. My confusion was the size too and you have cleared it. Stock is 265/70/16 and my present tires are 275/70/16. The only problem I experienced with the wider tire is the speedo is off by 10%. Plus the petrol mileage. Maybe more experienced drivers can clear this doubt. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

the speedo is off by 10%. Plus the petrol mileage. Maybe more experienced drivers can clear this doubt. 

This is minimal you will get used it and no re gearing is required . I believe you are experienced now 😉 to handle it my friend . Best of luck 🙏

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, M.Seidam said:

This is minimal you will get used it and no re gearing is required . I believe you are experienced now 😉 to handle it my friend . Best of luck 🙏

Actually the speedo is showing 10% more and helps me in preventing speed radar flashes. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

18 hours ago, Abu Muhammad said:

Anyhow for some odd reason as soon as we head the road he came to live and all was normal but for sure no more off roading

Dear @Abu Muhammad
Usually the motion sickness start with no warning signs and ends the same once the trigger is removed . Once happened to my elder son in one of the drives while for the middle and little one they were asking for more stunts 🤣

I am planing to write up about this condition and how to deal with it in near future 😊

Eid Mubarak 🙏

Edited by M.Seidam
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

On 7/21/2021 at 1:47 PM, Srikumar said:

Trip Report

Not the smoothest of IM drives, but it presented its own challenges which was thoroughly enjoyed and successfully overcomed by the entire team.

We started off on time at the foothill of the massive Shuwaib dunes waiting for the break of dawn to start our engines. After the first successful climbs we started criss crossing, and thats where we faced our first challenge of the day. A double pop out (front and rear) for @Thomas Varghesehis first, but it was more to do with the approach angle he took to do the crisscross. Took us a bit of a while to fix the double popouts as the tyre was twisted awkwardly. Once fixed, we tried dodging our way through the technical dunes to reach the next big hill of Shuwaib where a nice pace was set but with some ocassional refusals.

As we started playing in the big hills we met with our second challenge of the day, @Abu Muhammad's passenger started having motion sickness. Despite a few stops, unfortunately he was not feeling any better. As we had just completed an hour of driving and the exit was some distance away, so we took the difficult decision to leave Abu Mohammed at a particular spot and to return after an hour or so. That would give his passenger some time to rest and hopefully manage the rest of the drive.

We then entered some really tricky technical dunes, where the remaining 3 drivers managed it quite well with hardly any refusals. But just as we were exiting that stretch, @GauravSoni was caught sideways on a small dune, but with his chassis buried in sand. The initial attempt of self recovery didn't help, so Thomas gave him a tug and he was recovered. It was then that we faced our third and most serious challenge of the day, Gaurav had lost power to his front wheel with a drive shaft noise coming from close to the front differential. Probably a damage caused during the self recovery, but now we were in some quite nasty technical dunes and a car that was only capable of driving in 2H.

With some excellent team effort, we were able to tug Gaurav's car first onto a flat dune and then bring onto a flat sabkha. We then decided it's time and that we should go and bring Abu Mohammed from where we left him. We told Gaurav to wait at the sabkha while we went to get Abu Mohd. Once the entire convoy was back together we needed to find the flatest possible route to ensure Gaurav could easily exit out.

With multiple stops and rechecking the track ahead we did manage to find that track. Kudos to Gaurav for managing to drive well in 2H for such a long stretch. From the noise it seemed it's just the U-joint of the drive shaft which must have broken. Hope it's an easy fix. You had a very good drive till your drive shaft issue at the end.

@Thomas Varghese drove extremely well by choosing nice lines in the technical areas, but you need to practice more to keep up the pace in the open dunes and long hill climbs as well as choosing better angles to criss cross. Everything in the desert has to be smooth and if you start forcing your car you will face issues like the double popout of today.

Abu Mohammed, hope your passenger was feeling better on the way home. You drove very well in the limited opportunity that you had but you didn't have much chance to push that beast. Maybe try doing IM drives alone in the future.

@Mario Cornejo was an excellent second lead today who choose nice lines, and was always in my rear view mirror. Well done.

Overcoming the challenges was the highlight of today:s drive and I hope to repeat this drive sometime in the near future with the same drive particpants.

Very well articulated trip report! yes you are right @Srikumar it’s the Ujoint which gave away due to the stress… I guess this was coming nevertheless… glad now it is replaced. 
thanks @Mario Cornejo @Thomas Varghese for tuggging me out on to a flat surface! And superb leadership @Srikumar for managing two different situations and finding an easy way out while still having fun throughout! 🤟🏻
@Abu Muhammad hope your passengers were ok on the Tarmac! 

Driving on 2WD for such long time on the dunes wouldn’t have been so confidently executed if not for @Wrangeld’s 2500 rpm drive!! We should have more of these drives to learn these skills. thanks Richard !

my car is now ready for yet another challenge!!! 
until next time!

7709584C-9BA2-4B6A-960B-9A43DF0DDD6A.jpeg

Edited by GauravSoni
  • Sad (0) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

On 7/21/2021 at 2:50 PM, Gaurav said:

@GauravSoni have you tried the poor man front diff-lock to self recover in low gear? By holding the brake and giving gas?

Hope its an easy fix and not the front differential.

I am Not sure if I get your method @Gaurav do you mean to give gas at 2k rpm and release brakes in bursts? I was revving up and then braking to rock The car. I guess that was too much for the ujoint! 

On 7/22/2021 at 1:03 PM, M.Seidam said:

Dear @Abu Muhammad
Usually the motion sickness start with no warning signs and ends the same once the trigger is removed . Once happened to my elder son in one of the drives while for the middle and little one they were asking for more stunts 🤣

I am planing to write up about this condition and how to deal with it in near future 😊

Eid Mubarak 🙏

Thank you so much Dr. @M.Seidamfor the advise yes I would be nice to know more about it but exactly as you said it’s gone very easily. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

I am Not sure if I get your method @Gaurav do you mean to give gas at 2k rpm and release brakes in bursts? I was revving up and then braking to rock The car. I guess that was too much for the ujoint! 

No, if you were using 1 foot you cant break the diff.

Poor man diff (MYTH) is a dangerous technic that I used once with half knowledge and broke my LC100 front diff.

1. Use left foot to hold break
  2. Right foot to give gas gently, so that power can go to front stuck wheel and move the car.
  3. In some limited rev and limited situations it does work (as many claim) but I would rather use rope or a shovel than breaking 4500 dhs differential again.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

No, if you were using 1 foot you cant break the diff.

Poor man diff (MYTH) is a dangerous technic that I used once with half knowledge and broke my LC100 front diff.

1. Use left foot to hold break
  2. Right foot to give gas gently, so that power can go to front stuck wheel and move the car.
  3. In some limited rev and limited situations it does work (as many claim) but I would rather use rope or a shovel than breaking 4500 dhs differential again.

Yes… I was using only 1 foot to either gas up or brake… maybe that’s why my diff is still Ok. 
 Just curious on the PMDL.. wouldn’t applying brakes stop all wheels from rotating?  

Important Information

Terms of use