•  
Advertise here

How to Choose best Coolers

Looper

Great article !

For my offroad driving, i have a handy cooler bag in which i put some cooling elements from the freezer. It's big enough, yet not too big, because in my little Pajero there is little room left.

For camping, we use the passive coolers and get some ice bags from the nearest petrol station. Works great.

I have not tried any electric models yet, as my 12V power socket is already full with GPS phone, Bluetooth module, and other stuff :) 

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Looper @Fredericour cooler gurus … this is a great write up and opinion piece!  

I like the product below and know it’s easy enough to build one at home also :) … my use case would be (once they allow it again) to have this for the kids sports events… having to stand watching 25 matches of netball/rugby in September/October could be made bareable with this 

https://www.icybreeze.com

Edited by Niki
  • Like (+1) 3

Very well explained article  

thank you @Looper 👍

For half day trip I use the passive cooler option as it’s more practical and with the best brand of the box and cooling elements can even stand for all day.

for staying far from the civilisation access  the different other options to be considered for sure . 

• Like (+1) 2

Very good one @Looper, looks I went through what you have mentioned. Usually i dont work hard on searching about something I want to buy, but when it came to the cooler, I spent some time. And since I dont do camping, the best option (and after friends suggestions) I bought the Dometic basic one and working very well. With the ice packs it is working very well, handy, and easy to move and put wherever needed.

• Like (+1) 3

Very nice efforts Goutam @Looper truly helpful bits and pieces to save time for everyone in market for cooler for off-road drives.

With the title line, I thought its about Tranny or Engine Oil cooler as I hold special PhD on car engine cooling failures and thought I might learn something more, lololol.

For drinks cooler, I used Waeco Fridge in the past and due to noise, wiring, constant bumps while off-roading I gave up. Anyone thinking of buying these fridge, make sure warranty does cover off-road bumps, it wasn't in my Waeco fridge case.

Tried few local brands cool box and was totally disappointed that water was at room temperature after an hour.

My father-in-law gifted me his Coleman old cool box and I was surprised that it can hold refrigerated cold drinks (not freezed) chilled up to 12 hours and reasonably cold until 24 hours. I only add ice or ice pack for overnight drives, and not for day drives.

image.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

59 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Coleman old cool box and I was surprised that it can hold refrigerated cold drinks (not freezed) chilled up to 12 hours and reasonably cold until 24 hours.

Totally agree , Coleman one of best quality isothermal ice box . And indeed can keep the stuff cold up to 24 hours 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

I don't do extensive camping , mostly one night. So I went with a "passive" cooler, not electrified, easy to move around.

I splurged in Yeti Hopper 12 cooler. Way overpriced but I bought it on sale so not too bad. It holds the equivalent of dozen cans. I tend to use it with reusable icepacks

I had before some cheaper soft coolers but the Yeti is indeed superior when it comes to holding the temperature for a much longer time. 

Yetis and Dometic passive coolers will keep the cold for much much longer than the supermarket white top ones for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

• 4 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, Niki said:

@Looper @Fredericour cooler gurus … this is a great write up and opinion piece!  

I like the product below and know it’s easy enough to build one at home also :) … my use case would be (once they allow it again) to have this for the kids sports events… having to stand watching 25 matches of netball/rugby in September/October could be made bareable with this 

https://www.icybreeze.com

@Niki you want to have a look at: https://www.zerobreeze.com/products/zero-breeze-mark-2?variant=29542713720934

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

Important Information

Terms of use