•  
Advertise here

Why, what, how Jeep wrangler

47 minutes ago, Enrico Biscaro said:

It looks like the FJ is a favourite. I will need to do more research, but especially I will need to go against my Italian  nature and accept the sub par design. I am just kidding of course. 😀 I must say the Jeep still is the better looking car, per my personal taste.

As my taste changed, one day you will have another one😬

1 minute ago, Hisham Masaad said:

As my taste changed, one day you will have another one😬

At the end of the day, wish you a successful choice and enjoy your offroad adventure 👍.  Look forward to meet in sand

3 hours ago, Enrico Biscaro said:

It looks like the FJ is a favourite. I will need to do more research, but especially I will need to go against my Italian  nature and accept the sub par design. I am just kidding of course. 😀 I must say the Jeep still is the better looking car, per my personal taste.

@Enrico Biscaro I spent months looking for a used jeep last spring/summer (just for this hobby not as a daily driver) with you I preferred the look of the jeep (utility and rugged with so much customization … was like lego for grown ups and the roof/doors could be removed :) )

last summer when the market wasn’t crazy for used cars as it seems to be now…  I really struggled to find a non modified one… I then learnt many ‘Jeepers’ Jeep’s were bought modified to do the school drop / spinneys-route and never saw a dune however I didn’t have the skill to spot one of those!  

I didn’t have the patience (hitting November) or mechanical skills to gamble so then decided to just buy a new car for the hobby and the FJ cruiser just became an absolute no brainer!  It was about budget and resale (in the event I didn’t like the hobby).  

Now if you are buying used don’t give up yet on a Jeep and see if you can find that unicorn version used for the school runs etc… (they exists as I see so many at my kids school)  If by September you still have zero success then rapidly change plans as Offroad season picks up in Oct and so do the used prices for those type of cars. 

I have zero regrets with my FJ… more so am actually glad I went this path from a reliability and Offroad performance perspective (however I do find myself sneaking a look at every Jeep in our club and have the Jeep TJ top of my dream off road car list to supplement the FJ in the future).  

Good luck (one car I would add to @Frederic unbiased list would be the Nissan Patrol Super Safari SWB… though used these are even rarer… think ‘talking unicorn’ )

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

🙋‍♂️Ciao Enrico and welcome to the club.  There is a nice post that @Looper shared not long ago, the 6th or 7th graph contains a sample of the drives he has been and the most frequent brands in Carnity.  

As to my favourite car, well so far is the Patrol Super Safari Y61, capable car but lacks most of the nice gadgets other cars have.

Here is a link to the post: 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mario Cornejo said:

🙋‍♂️Ciao Enrico and welcome to the club.  There is a nice post that @Looper shared not long ago, the 6th or 7th graph contains a sample of the drives he has been and the most frequent brands in Carnity.  

Stats said someone? These are another set of Stats - showing how many others were there in the drives and in what level of drives. I have done 53 drives till now and there were 535 others in those drives. Pure numbers instead of charts - You interpret as you desire. Look at Intermediate Level Drives - one would have done a lot of drives to reach those levels.

1. Excluding My Drives

1796307159_CarnityDriveClub.jpg.de120cd0a29f7721e9003cc17ab7d83f.jpg

3 Including My Drives

Carnity.png.f6f5a8e244e09270bdbeed80ece511ba.png

2. Just My DrivesGS.png.b4115e3fa60935963ba7344e7e80896e.png

Obligatory Disclaimers:

1. How to read - See Absolute Newbie - It had 12 drivers driving different cars - 6 Jeeps of which 2 were JL, one TJ of @Jeepie & One Cherokee of @Srikumar 3 Pajero LWB cars so on..
  2. Sometimes People change cars (very few) but that will cause the numbers to align to the current car. I think of only one person doing it as of now - @Ranjan Das showing in Jeep JK SWB - but the only other time I drove with him was absolute newbie in which he came in a LR3 or LR4 but it shows JK SWB. Also some might come on a different car than that they have declared in their profile.
  3. This is based on just my drives and may differ to the actual real world scenario. 
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 4

don't drive like its your last one.

9 hours ago, Looper said:

Stats said someone? These are another set of Stats - showing how many others were there in the drives and in what level of drives. I have done 53 drives till now and there were 535 others in those drives. Pure numbers instead of charts - You interpret as you desire. Look at Intermediate Level Drives - one would have done a lot of drives to reach those levels.

1. Excluding My Drives

1796307159_CarnityDriveClub.jpg.de120cd0a29f7721e9003cc17ab7d83f.jpg

3 Including My Drives

Carnity.png.f6f5a8e244e09270bdbeed80ece511ba.png

2. Just My DrivesGS.png.b4115e3fa60935963ba7344e7e80896e.png

Obligatory Disclaimers:

1. How to read - See Absolute Newbie - It had 12 drivers driving different cars - 6 Jeeps of which 2 were JL, one TJ of @Jeepie & One Cherokee of @Srikumar 3 Pajero LWB cars so on..
  2. Sometimes People change cars (very few) but that will cause the numbers to align to the current car. I think of only one person doing it as of now - @Ranjan Das showing in Jeep JK SWB - but the only other time I drove with him was absolute newbie in which he came in a LR3 or LR4 but it shows JK SWB. Also some might come on a different car than that they have declared in their profile.
  3. This is based on just my drives and may differ to the actual real world scenario. 

Wow so many numbers and it shows how this is a great club ! I see jeep grand’ Cherokee. I like that car, do they make it with diff lock? If so what model?

On 7/19/2021 at 2:34 PM, Gaurav said:

Welcome @Enrico Biscaro to join Italian gang with @Ale Vallecchi @Lorenzo Candelpergher and @Luca Palanca Falsini .

For buying any off-road toy, there are two most important things.

1. First you answered above, that you wish to drive at Extreme level in the sand, its clear.
  2. Second is your final budget that you plan to spend on this off-road toy?

Please share your budget indication and we can advise further.

And just to give you some perspective you can take 20K car to extreme level too instead of 100-200K worth, but lower the budget, more time you will spend (initially) to bring her to desert worthy state. More expensive and newer model will come with tension-free ownership.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:13 AM, Frederic said:

Absolutely. In stock version you will be able to take on every level. One of the most important things however is to get good All Terrain Tyres. They will allow you to deflate down to 10-12psi which will improve flotation. Avoid the very heavy BF Goodrich tyres, a Yokohama Geolandar works better in my opinion.

We have plenty of stock Wranglers in our club, with most of them only going for different tyres and some minor upgrades. Most of them will put a kill-switch that allows them to easily disable the ABS and Traction Controls. This is an easy fix that any offroad minded garage can do.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:05 PM, Frederic said:

Have a look below:

On 7/19/2021 at 4:51 PM, Gaurav said:

Means 90 - 120K, just like all of us start low and keep stretching on weekly basis, lol.

Jokes apart, in 70K you can get decent Wrangler JK 3.6 with 280 hp (post 2014) and similar year FJ Cruiser 2014-2015.

Both are quiet capable and comparable and 100% fit for any extreme drives, with very minimal underbody protection and mods.

FJC being Toyota, will def offer better reliability and resale VS Wrangler, but if your heart is set on Wrangler, go for it as after 2012 Wrangler has improvise on reliability a lot.

12 hours ago, Niki said:

@Enrico Biscaro I spent months looking for a used jeep last spring/summer (just for this hobby not as a daily driver) with you I preferred the look of the jeep (utility and rugged with so much customization … was like lego for grown ups and the roof/doors could be removed :) )

last summer when the market wasn’t crazy for used cars as it seems to be now…  I really struggled to find a non modified one… I then learnt many ‘Jeepers’ Jeep’s were bought modified to do the school drop / spinneys-route and never saw a dune however I didn’t have the skill to spot one of those!  

I didn’t have the patience (hitting November) or mechanical skills to gamble so then decided to just buy a new car for the hobby and the FJ cruiser just became an absolute no brainer!  It was about budget and resale (in the event I didn’t like the hobby).  

Now if you are buying used don’t give up yet on a Jeep and see if you can find that unicorn version used for the school runs etc… (they exists as I see so many at my kids school)  If by September you still have zero success then rapidly change plans as Offroad season picks up in Oct and so do the used prices for those type of cars. 

I have zero regrets with my FJ… more so am actually glad I went this path from a reliability and Offroad performance perspective (however I do find myself sneaking a look at every Jeep in our club and have the Jeep TJ top of my dream off road car list to supplement the FJ in the future).  

Good luck (one car I would add to @Frederic unbiased list would be the Nissan Patrol Super Safari SWB… though used these are even rarer… think ‘talking unicorn’ )

I’d love to be able to go around and shop, alas time is a tyrant so I am not sure I can find the one Jeep. FJ seems to be the right bet, still, but I have not given up yet. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

If I have to spend 70K on desert toy, here is my list in priority.

• 2 Door Land Cruiser (IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND)
  • 2 Door Nissan Patrol SWB (Difficult to find clean one)
  • FJ Cruiser in stock condition
  • 2 Door Pajero 3.8 in stock condition
  • Wrangler Rubicon in stock condition (Difficult to find clean one)
  • Xterra off-road buy for 50K and save 20K (Difficult to find clean one)

Xterra is lower in list as you have 70K to spend and max you can spend on super clean 2015 Xterra offroad is 50K as they have discontinued after that.

If I have 50K then Xterra will be sitting above Pajero 3.8.

Just to put things in right perspective for you, as a new buyer: FJ, Xterra, Pajero and Wranglers are the most common offroaders here in UAE sand, but you can also select less popular models like Tahoe, Silverado, Sierra, Raptor, F150, Armada, Pathfinder etc.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I have only driven Jeep among the list shared by group above . And can tell you with full assurance it's something for which the liking grows with every day one drives it ..

And this is coming from someone who was always reluctant to go for jeep for it's not so smooth drive - it's my first SUV, first 4WD and I have always been about smooth cars.. ..bought it just an year back and now I just  cant step into my wife's sedan (and it's a good one). 

For offroading - it's RPM to Torque curve is super smooth and flat to make it fun through tech dunes as well as climbing steep hills. Crawl ratio is ofcourse the signature element of Jeep. 

On road, I have a JL Sahara and it's just a superb drive ..once it touches 100 K mark the sound, the rhythm is just awesome. 

And there is no limit on accessories and mods available off the shelf for it. Plus the fun of taking off the roof is next level especially in beautiful Dubai winters. 

Servicing isn't expensive and parts easiky available locally. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

This is an advice you will (maybe should!) discard. 

But if you don't care about "small" issues (like a need for a trailer, the need for the same entry/exit point, lack of comfort and especially air conditioning), the real machine for the sand in my modest opinion is an UTV like Polaris or CanAm. 

They are purpose built , have a power to weight ratio several times better than any of the mentioned cars not to speak about the wheel and especially suspension that can travel 20 inches. The price of a good new one is very high (e.g. 25k to 30k USD), the durability a question mark. Clearly are not legal for the street. 

A performance UTV cannot be beaten in the sand... unless you get a bit older like me and those small issues become deal breakers .... Good news is that you can always rent a UTV relatively easy (although not cheap) for those colder days when you want to shred the dunes (many rentals for instance around Big Red) 

Paolo,

I thought about it, but the goal is also to have a 2nd car I can do my commute to the office. Also the trailer is a no go for me :-) But maybe will rent one one day 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

I have only driven Jeep among the list shared by group above . And can tell you with full assurance it's something for which the liking grows with every day one drives it ..

And this is coming from someone who was always reluctant to go for jeep for it's not so smooth drive - it's my first SUV, first 4WD and I have always been about smooth cars.. ..bought it just an year back and now I just  cant step into my wife's sedan (and it's a good one). 

For offroading - it's RPM to Torque curve is super smooth and flat to make it fun through tech dunes as well as climbing steep hills. Crawl ratio is ofcourse the signature element of Jeep. 

On road, I have a JL Sahara and it's just a superb drive ..once it touches 100 K mark the sound, the rhythm is just awesome. 

And there is no limit on accessories and mods available off the shelf for it. Plus the fun of taking off the roof is next level especially in beautiful Dubai winters. 

Servicing isn't expensive and parts easiky available locally. 

For the market as is now, I should go against everyone advice and buy a MOD Jeep. there are plenty of those and some are quite affordable. As an absolute Newbee, I will not go against everyone advice and will keep on looking. I actually found a Mitsubishi 3.8 2014 with 100K on it. 2 doors. It seemed very clean and well kept. Will do a test drive…After all @Frederic drives one and I am sure he can go everywhere :-) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Enrico Biscaro said:

For the market as is now, I should go against everyone advice and buy a MOD Jeep. there are plenty of those and some are quite affordable. As an absolute Newbee, I will not go against everyone advice and will keep on looking. I actually found a Mitsubishi 3.8 2014 with 100K on it. 2 doors. It seemed very clean and well kept. Will do a test drive…After all @Frederic drives one and I am sure he can go everywhere :-) 

Fredy needs only a puny 3.0 to go everywhere 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2