•  

COVID19 Compliant - Night Newbie Desert Drive - Pink Rock - Sharjah - 30 Jul 2021

Gaurav

Updated convoy list

1. Gaurav                           Silver Pajero
  2. Looper                           Wrangler    IM
  3. Nafiz                              Lexus LX470    NB
  4. AbdullaB                        LC100        NB
  5. munkybizness                Patrol Y61    NB
  6. Rizwanm2                      Xterra        ST
  7. Daniel Yang                   Patrol Y62    NB
  8. Peter Hager                   Wrangler Rubi    NB
  9. M.Seidam                      Xterra        Adv
  10. Fabien Monleau            LC76        FB
  11. Abdul Rahman AK        Pajero        IM
  12. Ben84                           Wrangler Rubi    FB
  13. topgear                        FJ Cruiser    FB+
  14. Jeepie                           Wrangler    Exp
  • Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

With enough sleep in the biological tank, I’m just waking up to last night’s experience. As my first night drive, I was a fair bit anxious and nervous going in, so much so that for the first 5 minutes in, I completely forgot how to turn on my high beams. Fortunately, @Rizwanm2 ensured that I had a floodlit stadium view of the desert landscape unraveling ahead of me. If I have him on my tail, I’ll never need to get additional lights 😎

It was a pleasure to finally put a face and voice to @Gaurav deftly guiding us away from sand walls aplenty. And to top it all off, seeing you work that shovel for what felt like an eternity has inspired me to get back in the gym. Climbing Pink Rock with you providing additional vocal power on the radio helped to get me up there - nerves intact.

And to @M.Seidam, your shoveling technique is fascinating . I’m going to steal it with pride.

Thank you gents & lady (in your stunning TJ?) for another exciting drive!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Trip Report

We had a beautiful full-house turnout blessed with extra support and some higher-level members making a very distinctive convoy mix to start the weekend night drive.

Topped with I was driving Fredy's little blue with manual gear added additional fun and challenge to the night. Thanks, @Frederic for joining to support me after your morning AN drive.

Everyone showed up on time and started deflating and getting ready for the drive much before 10:00 PM meeting time. As we started on time we have had very good scope to achieve the pre-decided end at Bidayer without altering or any cut-short.

All the newbies from @AbdullaB, @Nafiz, @munkybizness, @Daniel Yang and @Peter Hager drove exceptionally well considering the night drive is a bit scarier for newbie level due to limited view. And like I said on the drive, while learning off-roading don't get demotivated with your stucks and refusals, instead learn from them to grow further. Everyone gets stuck, as that's the nature of this hobby, so simply enjoy, learn, move on and repeat.

Thanks, @Looper for your second lead support, that was very helpful to navigate throughout. @Fabien Monleau and @Abdul Rahman AK it was good to see you both for the first time and hope you have enjoyed the relaxed fun of Newbie level drives.

@Ben84 and @topgear it was good to see you both after a long time and it was a pleasure to drive with you both securing the tail end with confidence.

Many thanks, @Rizwanm2, @M.Seidam and @Jeepie for the wonderful support and help to keep the whole convoy intact and moving at all times.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

while learning off-roading don't get demotivated with your stucks and refusals, instead learn from them to grow further.

Totally agree with @Gaurav Bahai 

Adding more to that just enjoy it no matter what level of the drive is . Yesterday I totally enjoyed the newbie style and I always have some thing to bring back home along, if nothing at all it’s more than enough a smile at my front door . 

Edited by M.Seidam
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@Gaurav Thanks for leading the drive and ensuring everyone is safe. I also appreciate your advice at the end of the drive. 

@Jeepie Thanks for your support and advice at the back of convoy

It was my first night drive and it was indeed a very interesting experience. I enjoyed it tremendously and I certainly slept well when I got home after the drive.

• Like (+1) 5

Thanks @Gaurav for a wonderful drive. It was quite fun drive. The drive was one of those types that I like most. I never before enjoyed a night drive as much as of last night.

It seemed like @M.Seidam @Jeepie and especially @Rizwanm2had few refusals to take care of. I like refusals in night drives, (sorry to say that) for it gives me time  to enjoy the tranquility of the desert in the night. 

Being behind the lead I can only comment on my drive. It was my first drive with my new lift and 2nd one with the new tires and I am still new to the changed driving stance. Crossing dunes seemed a lot more easier yesterday, without the usual scooping of sand. I was however a bit worried if I might have a pop out as it happened a couple of times in my last drive and I was driving in a slightly sedated manner. 

My first refusal occurred due to the lighter gas than it was required and the recovery issues seemed to be due to 4 wheel drive not engaging properly, since you mentioned that my front wheels were not moving. In my last drive I had a “Service 4WD” message pop up and it came at the fag end while exiting and wasn’t sure what it was doing. Apart from that one time I did not seem to have any issues for rest of the drive. And the second refusals was because I have to live up to my new profile name, and take some loops to come back on track. I just slipped out to the other side of the ridge as I suffered a momentary lack of concentration, since I was looking at my son; who was asleep by then - if he was comfortable or not.

PS: It is important to be able to keep adequate distance while observing what the lead/driver in front is doing, one of the skills everyone must practice. This will help to assess how to proceed with tackling the terrain, while giving enough time and space to not getting oneself stuck back to back in a difficult situation.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

3 minutes ago, Looper said:

the recovery issues seemed to be due to 4 wheel drive not engaging properly, since you mentioned that my front wheels were not moving. In my last drive I had a “Service 4WD” message pop up and it came at the fag end while exiting and wasn’t sure what it was doing.

More content for your #brandaffinity, lol.

I'm glad you enjoyed last night, I absolutely love desert at night, driving, recovering, chilling at any state.

• Like (+1) 4

Finally met in person with @Gaurav after driving for more than 7 months with @Carnity, it was a pleasure driving under your lead... Thank you.

Newbie drives are always fun as we get to see people with full enthusiasm, reminding us of how we started and took this sport with so much passion and are still enjoying it.

Pleasant surprise to have @Fredericon this drive, you saved our night by lending your vehicle and joining Gaurav... much appreciated!

Great show put on by @Looper as 2nd lead, @Rizwanm2 and @M.Seidamas CF (both were super supportive) and @Jeepieas our sweep (ensuring everyone stayed together), Thank you.

Everyone in the convoy did amazingly well @AbdullaB (great show as it was your 2nd drive that too 1st in the night) @Nafiz@munkybizness@Daniel Yang@Peter Hager@Fabien Monleau(loved your LC, which model is it?), finally @Ben84and @topgear (you guys were flawless).

Really enjoyed the company of you all, see you again soon in the sand InshaAllah!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use