•  
Advertise here

Perseids Meteor Showers peaking on August 12/13

munkybizness

Hello everyone, the Perseids Meteor Showers began on July 17th and will continue until they peak on the nights of August 12th and 13th with up to 60 trails per hour.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/perseid.html

https://www.travelawaits.com/2683734/perseid-meteor-shower-august-2021/

The starting point for the newbie drive into Suwaydan by @Frederic seemed pretty dark out to make a great backdrop. The Mleiha Center usually does some stargazing nights but I don’t see one on their events list for now. 

Wondering if you folks know if that’s worth a point to start from?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Requesting Mr. @Frederic  the great chairman of lens club, director general of photography to plan some star gazing drive for this meteor shower, please.

@Mikhail Lukichev @Niki and all other astro heroes to find the best suited time to get our maximum wish come true.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Just now, Gaurav said:

Requesting Mr. @Frederic  the great chairman of lens club, director general of photography to plan some star gazing drive for this meteor shower, please.

@Mikhail Lukichev @Niki and all other astro heroes to find the best suited time to get our maximum wish come true.

@Gaurav oh I'm in for this - thanks @munkybizness for the post and suggestion! .. Frederic has created a photography club and we have had a few Astrophotography session close to Murquab Mosque - a super site i suspect for the meteor show also.  

@Zed time to bring your low-light camera skills into play again! 

we just need to take @Frederic passport off him so he doesn't travel! 

I suggest August 12th (Thursday) evening - would need some more experienced folks to advise on timing of the meteor shower that day.  for our Astro shots we usually meet around 6:30 and are leaving the desert by 9pm - i suspect those times would not work for this event. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

1 hour ago, munkybizness said:

Hello everyone, the Perseids Meteor Showers began on July 17th and will continue until they peak on the nights of August 12th and 13th with up to 60 trails per hour.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/perseid.html

https://www.travelawaits.com/2683734/perseid-meteor-shower-august-2021/

Coincidentally, 12th August is declared UAE Public Holiday for a good long weekend https://gulfnews.com/going-out/uaes-next-public-holiday-when-is-hijri-new-year-1.1627193460855

But according to @munkybizness's links, it will only be visible from 22:00 until 04:00, so the right plan would be:

1. Night drive à-la Srikumar starting at 9pm night on Wed 11th Aug or Thu 12th Aug.

2. Stop for stargazing at 12 midnight

3. Those who want to go home, exit. Those who want to stargaze more, do camping 😅

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Zed are you coming to Dubai, as in Abu Dhabi due to night restriction you can only stargaze from your balcony.

• Haha (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

@Zed are you coming to Dubai, as in Abu Dhabi due to night restriction you can only stargaze from your balcony.

@Gaurav PCR has never stopped me from coming to Dubai, if this thing's on I'll spend my Marriott points to stay overnight in Dubai 😅

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Zed I’d be open to a newbie style night drive Wednesday with the midnight pause for the shower .. we could even consider an evening drive 8pm-midnight … so we are close to the exit and watch the shower at the end of a drive vs in the middle? Either way … open to options and only ask is to consider ‘newbie’ level to ensure @munkybizness as the originator can join :) (plus I am still scared of driving in the dark 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Brilliant idea guys, and thanks @munkybizness for bringing this forward. I have the following idea, consisting out of two parts

1) We organize a Carnity Offroad Drive in Mahafiz-Fossil Rock area (Newbie Level) for Thursday night, where any Carnity member can join. This would be from 08 till 11:30, and we would be exiting near Maliha Archeological Center.

2) At the exit, once inflated, we head out with the Lens Lover Club members who have signed up towards Wadi Shawka Dam, which is not far away from Maliha (20-25 kms). 

Other Lens Lovers Club members can also join us directly at the Wadi Shawka meeting point. I will post the Stargazing/Meteor shower Session separately.

Wadi Shawka is one of the darkest spots, and would be ideal as our meeting point.

@Zed @Gaurav @munkybizness @Niki What you say ?

• WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

10 minutes ago, Frederic said:

@Zed @Gaurav @munkybizness @Niki What you say ?

i'm in, spoken like a true Director, keeping the option open for only-driving, only-meteorhunting and whoever wants both 😁👍🏻

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2