•  
Advertise here

Perseids Meteor Showers peaking on August 12/13

munkybizness

Hello! Long time no see!

Was out of the country for some time.

Perseids Meteor Shower should be nice! As you can see on the picture below, it peaks at 04:31AM 13Aug21 with 83 meteors per hour. That means, that you can see, well, one meteor every 5-10 minutes 😃 Because the rest are so small and fast that it is very hard to catch them by a naked eye.

At midnight you can expect 36 meteors/hour, at 02:00AM around 60 meteors/hour. So, definitely, you will see them!

Gray shape indicates a number of meteors per hour, gray line is elevation of Perseids, blue line is Moon.

It's a bit of a challenge to take a photo of meteors though. Even though meteors should come from azimuth 25-35deg and elevation 18-48deg, I can tell from my experience that you will notice them almost everywhere, all the directions and elevations. I believe that it is because we are located very close to equator (not sure though).

Anyway, to take a photo of them you need to have sterile conditions 😃 Set your tripod, camera, settings, enable time-lapse shooting for a few hours and wait. Refrain from touching the camera and using flashlights. At the end of the session, check your photos (could be around 100-300 photos) and try to find ones with meteors. You can find 5-10-15 shots with them, depends on your luck. Later, if you want, you can compile everything in one photo.

My best advise is to bring a comfy chair or a mattress, sit back and relax. Just enjoy the silence, stars and meteors (from time to time).

Unfortunately, this time I will no be able to join you as I work all these days. 

If some of you are missing this event, be sure to check Geminids Meteor Shower on 14th of December with 95 meteors/hour! It is even more bright and cool than Perseids.

Hope it helps a bit 😃

SmartSelect_20210726-165456_PhotoPills.jpg.756789d354b282c79d6ee192ce6e3095.jpgDSC_0044.jpg.2c72870b07cd29d5ea4e8c41f9e63857.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

If not for the drive but can I join for the photography part of the drive? I meant to drive on one of the previous occasions but had to skip as I had to travel. 

• Like (+1) 2

don't drive like its your last one.

11 hours ago, Looper said:

If not for the drive but can I join for the photography part of the drive? I meant to drive on one of the previous occasions but had to skip as I had to travel. 

Sure Gautam, I’ll put you on the waitlist. 

13 hours ago, Mikhail Lukichev said:

Hello! Long time no see!

Was out of the country for some time.

Perseids Meteor Shower should be nice! As you can see on the picture below, it peaks at 04:31AM 13Aug21 with 83 meteors per hour. That means, that you can see, well, one meteor every 5-10 minutes 😃 Because the rest are so small and fast that it is very hard to catch them by a naked eye.

At midnight you can expect 36 meteors/hour, at 02:00AM around 60 meteors/hour. So, definitely, you will see them!

Gray shape indicates a number of meteors per hour, gray line is elevation of Perseids, blue line is Moon.

It's a bit of a challenge to take a photo of meteors though. Even though meteors should come from azimuth 25-35deg and elevation 18-48deg, I can tell from my experience that you will notice them almost everywhere, all the directions and elevations. I believe that it is because we are located very close to equator (not sure though).

Anyway, to take a photo of them you need to have sterile conditions 😃 Set your tripod, camera, settings, enable time-lapse shooting for a few hours and wait. Refrain from touching the camera and using flashlights. At the end of the session, check your photos (could be around 100-300 photos) and try to find ones with meteors. You can find 5-10-15 shots with them, depends on your luck. Later, if you want, you can compile everything in one photo.

My best advise is to bring a comfy chair or a mattress, sit back and relax. Just enjoy the silence, stars and meteors (from time to time).

Unfortunately, this time I will no be able to join you as I work all these days. 

If some of you are missing this event, be sure to check Geminids Meteor Shower on 14th of December with 95 meteors/hour! It is even more bright and cool than Perseids.

Hope it helps a bit 😃

SmartSelect_20210726-165456_PhotoPills.jpg.756789d354b282c79d6ee192ce6e3095.jpgDSC_0044.jpg.2c72870b07cd29d5ea4e8c41f9e63857.jpg

Hey @Mikhail Lukichev sorry to hear you cannot make it but we will be definitely using your tips and hints and hope we can meet soon again !

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."