•  

COVID19 Compliant - Intermediate Desert Drive - Area 53: the 1km ascent quest (reloaded) - Sharjah - 31 Jul 2021

5 hours ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

The first 2 hours were not easy, as we had to deal with several refusals, mostly with the two Pajeros, whose underpowered engines with undesidered upshifting demanded their drivers, @Danish Mohammad and @Lakshmi Narasimhan, every drop of their driving skills to make it to the top.. Kudos to both for the extra effort!!

:

Hi All missed the actions..just a query @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Danish Mohammad were you trying the area in M or D mode that it was leading to upshifting? Asking it as read somewhere that vehicles automatically upshift even when on M mode (haven't experienced it yet). Personally I have not been able to go through Area 53 or Shuwaib in D mode on my Jeep, however understand many  manage to do so..so just a bit curious. 

Also Jeep gang - @Ilya @Lorenzo Candelpergher would really appreciate your feedback - do you manage to push through your beasts in D mode in this area (especially the climbs and descents) or switch to M while handling steep climbs. Just trying to understand if I am relying on my Jeep too much. Also have you experienced upshifting while in M mode on your Jeep. 

Edited by varunmehndiratta
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Also Jeep gang - @Ilya @Lorenzo Candelpergher would really appreciate your feedback - do you manage to push through your beasts in D mode in this area (especially the climbs and descents) or switch to M while handling steep climbs. Just trying to understand if I am relying on my Jeep too much. Also have you experienced upshifting while in M mode on your Jeep. 

Hi @varunmehndiratta, today I drove 98% of the time in D, using M only to sustain 2nd or 1st gear while climbing on some long and steep, straight climbs, thus avoiding undesired automatic upshifting. There is absolutely no upshifting when in M: if in 1st gear, your engine would keep screaming at max revs limit. 

Where practice is never enough for me, however, isn't the upshifting but rather the WOT (wide open throttle) downshifting to 1st gear while climbing in 2nd gear and losing momentum. JLUs are programmed not to allow WOT downshifting, so the only way to achieve it is to feather the throttle, shift down and give full gas again. But when you climb up on a bumpy stretch jumping all over the place it ain't so easy to "feather" the throttle as you'd wish.. The alternative would be  tuning (ie enably WOT downshifting), which however would void the warranty (not an option for me) and possibly shorten the life of the gearbox/engine.. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It was indeed yet another demanding but excellent experience in A53 and surroundings, thank you @Lorenzo Candelpergher for hosting a follow up of this challenging drive.  Also a big thank you to @M.Seidam and @Hisham Masaad.

Based on my car performance data, I can confirm that today I pushed my car to its limits whilst trying to maneuver to the best of my ability, the average coolant temp oscillated in a range between 99C to 105C, with a some occasions where the temperature shot up to 115C ~ 116C, mostly on long climbs or when I had to start climbing without much momentum right after sorting out an obstacle (e.g. soft sand + steep climb in 1st or 2nd gear). 

The terrain did not disappoint, soft sand patches, steep slopes, and quite a few steep drops, one in particular when I thought I was taking a better approach to crossing a ridge and fell right into a deep bowl, luckily I had not lost much momentum and was able to sort the obstacle.

I would like to conclude with the following: it is hard not to empathize with those who are impacted by the delays of anyone's refusal, cresting, pop-outs, etc., having to just sit idle whilst eager to enjoy the drive as much as possible. At the same time I acknowledge that all drives have a variety of skill sets, vehicle capabilities (engine, mechanical). I suppose it is just not possible to anticipate all possible issues or ensure that entire convoy moves at a constant pace and speed throughout +4 hrs driving,  therefore a big thank you for the patience during these situations.

In summary, what a great drive, with many opportunities to learn, and help each other.  Have a great week ahead.

Edited by Mario Cornejo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

1 hour ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Hi @varunmehndiratta, today I drove 98% of the time in D, using M only to sustain 2nd or 1st gear while climbing on some long and steep, straight climbs, thus avoiding undesired automatic upshifting. There is absolutely no upshifting when in M: if in 1st gear, your engine would keep screaming at max revs limit. 

Thanks @Lorenzo CandelpergherbYup that's what I thought read on a forum with someone complaining about upshifting in M mode...sounded strange to me too, it was also about a Pajero so thought perhaps some issue with it's system  ..👍  98% is pretty awesome, I have somehow developed tendency to move to M on every steep dune ...surely makes it a bit easier. Somehow it always upshifts in D while reaching around 4500-5000 rpm.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Where practice is never enough for me, however, isn't the upshifting but rather the WOT (wide open throttle) downshifting to 1st gear while climbing in 2nd gear and losing momentum. JLUs are programmed not to allow WOT downshifting, so the only way to achieve it is to feather the throttle, shift down and give full gas again. But when you climb up on a bumpy stretch jumping all over the place it ain't so easy to "feather" the throttle as you'd wish.. The alternative would be  tuning (ie enably WOT downshifting), which however would void the warranty (not an option for me) and possibly shorten the life of the gearbox/engine.. 

WOT downshifting is surely an issue I observed didn't know it was Jeep thing, thought I was doing it something wrong missing the right RPM level etc... Tried multiple things - bit of blip blip acceleration (same as feather the throttle you mentioned)  ended up losing momentum pretty fast - good that I checked was blaming my technique and trying some diff combos everytime 🙂 .. tuning is off the chart for me as well due to warranty issue . Offlate been sticking to pre judging all the way in  2 or 1st gear - surely misjudge at times but takes it through the most cases, seems that's the way to go....thanks @Lorenzo Candelpergher for sharing your thoughts..

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Mario Cornejo said:

It was indeed yet another demanding but excellent experience in A53 and surroundings, thank you @Lorenzo Candelpergher for hosting a follow up of this challenging drive.  Also a big thank you to @M.Seidam and @Hisham Masaad.

Based on my car performance data, I can confirm that today I pushed my car to its limits whilst trying to maneuver to the best of my ability, the average coolant temp oscillated in a range between 99C to 105C, with a some occasions where the temperature shot up to 115C ~ 116C, mostly on long climbs or when I had to start climbing without much momentum right after sorting out an obstacle (e.g. soft sand + steep climb in 1st or 2nd gear). 

The terrain did not disappoint, soft sand patches, steep slopes, and quite a few steep drops, one in particular when I thought I was taking a better approach to crossing a ridge and fell right into a deep bowl, luckily I had not lost much momentum and was able to sort the obstacle.

I would like to conclude with the following: it is hard not to empathize with those who are impacted by the delays of anyone's refusal, cresting, pop-outs, etc., having to just sit idle whilst eager to enjoy the drive as much as possible. At the same time I acknowledge that all drives have a variety of skill sets, vehicle capabilities (engine, mechanical). I suppose it is just not possible to anticipate all possible issues or ensure that entire convoy moves at a constant pace and speed throughout +4 hrs driving,  therefore a big thank you for the patience during these situations.

In summary, what a great drive, with many opportunities to learn, and help each other.  Have a great week ahead.

@Mario Cornejo what a wonderful opportunity I missed for taking some wonderful pictures during those delays as I couldn't join 

• Like (+1) 3

Again, one of the @Lorenzo Candelpergher drives, add to it area 53, so imagine the result 😅. With all challenges, I am sure all has enjoyed, and left remembering the drive the hole day, and may be even had good dreams during sleep 🤪. We had three main issues, which in my opinion:

1- refusals and stucks : these are normal, I am sure many of us were frustrated, some declared it, some kept it secret, and some mentioned in person. At the end, this is the desert and off-road drive, were we should enjoy each part of it

2- Over taking : this was happening @Lorenzo Candelperghermay be more than normal, since of repeating refusals, sometimes, making more since to overtake, otherwise will have much more refusals and stucks. But immediately, after over taking, all should wait at suitable locations, to reorder the convoy 

3- Splitting the convoy : this happened due to the fact that when someone was not able to cross the dune, and continue on the same side, all was following him. In this case, and depending on the situation, I thinks others should try to hold till this driver attempt again and cross  to the other side, or cross and wait, which is similar case to point one. The other reason for splitting, which I noticed @Lorenzo Candelpergher, when sometimes you mention to hold for some reason, and then you start moving, one of the drivers did not move (and rest of the convoy is behind him), waiting for your instructions to move again. By the time he realize he need to move, he find he lost the track and move in different direction. I this situation, I believe when you ask to hold, and start moving, and SL start moving with few behind, all should move, since moving without mentioning to move again, should be considered as "move again". 

At the end of the day, was really fun, and happy to see all enjoyed, specially @Watteauwith so much laugh. Thank you @Mario Cornejofor being SL, and very happy to meet you again @M.Seidamafter long time.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

8 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

just a query @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Danish Mohammad were you trying the area in M or D mode that it was leading to upshifting?

I was driving my car in automatic mode hardly on my first 2 drives and on another drive on a newbie drive for testing purpose, I drive only on manual mode even after installing 2 auxiliary fans.

I never had upshifting problem in my car. But when I reach 5000+ rpm, engine will cut off the power completely even on manual mode, this was not allowing me to climb steep climbs. 

I complained to habtoor and after service they removed the delimiter i guess and now its holding even on 6000 rpm.

Yesterday I never had problem in climbing steep dunes, it was a perfect drive for me, except for couple of times where i couldn’t start with enough momentum on narrow track with soft patch. Have to try couple of more times before any conclusion!!!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Well Done (+2) 1

10 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

do you manage to push through your beasts in D mode in this area (especially the climbs and descents) or switch to M while handling steep climbs

Hi @varunmehndiratta Similar to Lorenco's feedback - driving 98% in D and switching to M when needed. Never seen/hread about upshifting in JLU 

• Like (+1) 5

Important Information

Terms of use