•  

COVID19 Compliant - Lens Lovers Club - Perseids Meteor Shower and AstroPhotography Session - 12 August 2021

Frederic

24 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

Hi @Frederic seems the team is all prepped up… was just going through the news link and it says that the peak is between 11th august night to 12th morning…the drive is planned for 12th night… 24 hours later to the expected peak in showers…. Is this how it’s planned or m I missing something… I am curious as I plan to go out to watch this event with family and want to make sure that I don’t end up getting house arrest for picking the wrong day!

Please share your source for 11th night.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Please share your source for 11th night.

It’s the media link posted on dive post

https://www.travelawaits.com/2683734/perseid-meteor-shower-august-2021/ 
1st paragraph!!!

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

It’s the media link posted on dive post

https://www.travelawaits.com/2683734/perseid-meteor-shower-august-2021/ 
1st paragraph!!!

11 night in US means 12 daytime here. Hope I'm reading it correctly.

Waiting for all Einstein's, Pundit's and Guru's to verify please - @Mikhail Lukichev, @Frederic, @Niki, @samamara

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

11 night in US means 12 daytime here. Hope I'm reading it correctly.

Waiting for all Einstein's, Pundit's and Guru's to verify please - @Mikhail Lukichev, @Frederic, @Niki, @samamara

@Gaurav I used Alsadeem Observatory’s Instagram update - they are Abu Dhabi based and as you noted, have used date and times to match our region.  That said the gurus above may have differing sources however I would consider AlSadeem a trusted one for UAE!  

• Thanks (+1) 1

Some further assurances here, @Gaurav

Dubai Astronomy Group is hosting an event atop Jebel Jais on the night of the 12th: https://dubaiastronomy.com/events/perseids-meteor-shower-2021/

Mleiha Archaeological Centre (as part of the Sharjah Tourism) is also hosting a viewing party on the night of August 12th: https://www.visitsharjah.com/sharjahsummer/categories/activities/catch-the-perseids-meteor-shower

• Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks for all the assurance with backed up data and research. 

BUT with ongoing cloud cover I couldn't see a single star right now :-( in Dubai. 

@samamara hows the cloud situation in RAK at your side?

8 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Thanks for all the assurance with backed up data and research. 

BUT with ongoing cloud cover I couldn't see a single star right now :-( in Dubai. 

@samamara hows the cloud situation in RAK at your side?

@Gaurav it's not too bad, actually...the skies are pretty clear this morning. I've just checked windy.com (great site for checking the weather) and the forecast is clear skies over Buraq Thursday night/Friday morning. A forecast is just that but it can help us hope for the best at least ;) !

@samamara apologies to you and rest of the gang for hijacking this thread for some more general photo tips. But a couple of quick ones hopefully should be useful info for the others also....

1. Is there a preferred season in our UAE area for milky way shots as in clear sky or aesthetic view of MW itself (you mentioned october but does it extend into the winter?)

2. As you mentioned post editing is critical. Can you link to any useful website or FAQ for workflow to edit night sky/ high signal noise pics in PS or similar software

3. last one! Any benefit you see in shooting/ editing from RAW data as opposed to in camera processed JPEG, This question is from a hobbyist perspective and not aiming for professional/ large size prints etc

Thanks (and hoping for a clear sky tomorrow night as well)

• Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use