•  

COVID19 Compliant - Lens Lovers Club - Perseids Meteor Shower and AstroPhotography Session - 12 August 2021

Frederic

1 hour ago, Joseph Sebastian said:

@samamara apologies to you and rest of the gang for hijacking this thread for some more general photo tips. But a couple of quick ones hopefully should be useful info for the others also....

1. Is there a preferred season in our UAE area for milky way shots as in clear sky or aesthetic view of MW itself (you mentioned october but does it extend into the winter?)

2. As you mentioned post editing is critical. Can you link to any useful website or FAQ for workflow to edit night sky/ high signal noise pics in PS or similar software

3. last one! Any benefit you see in shooting/ editing from RAW data as opposed to in camera processed JPEG, This question is from a hobbyist perspective and not aiming for professional/ large size prints etc

Thanks (and hoping for a clear sky tomorrow night as well)

Hi @Joseph Sebastian - no worries, I'm always happy to help :) Please see below for my answers: 

1. The Milky Way is only visible in the Northern Hemisphere from about February/March to November, but the best time to see it in its glory is from late April to early August because the core - that bright amazing chunk in the middle - is visible for longer. Also, the time of year will dictate the angle at which we see it. You can see the photos I've attached here, courtesy of PhotoPills (an amazing if not slightly complicated app and super-comprehensive website that helps you plan lots of sky-related photography). 

2. You can google and find some amazing videos that help you with post-production of Milky Way shots in both Photoshop and Lightroom. Just google "how to edit Milky Way photos" and you will get an endless list of articles and videos. The one you choose will depend on your comfort level of using the mentioned software. I would recommend that you watch a few and then decide :) . Just remember that the workflow will not always be the same for everyone; it will depend on what you're able to get straight out of the camera to work with as well as your personal tastes, so you can use what you find online as a guideline. 

3. In one word: RAW! Even if you are a hobbyist looking for a nice shot, I would highly recommend shooting in raw. If you don't want to shoot in raw at any other time (though I think you always should ;)) it's an absolute must when it comes to astrophotography. Your camera will pick up many more details than you realize, which will need to be brought out in post-processing. Remember I said there isn't a single MW shot out there that isn't edited. If you shoot in jpeg, your camera will automatically make a lot of editing decisions that you won't be able to reverse in post, which means you'll limit your editing options. Again, this is always true, which is why it's a good idea always to shoot in raw, but it's especially true when you think more editing might be needed, and that's always the case with MW photos. 

I hope that helps! Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Here's hoping for clear skies, a great meteor show, excellent photos and lots of fun :)

March_May.png

May_July.png

July_November.png

Edited by samamara
Forgot attachments
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

@Frederic am gutted to have to drop off this trip!! 🥺 am in Abu Dhabi now until Friday!  I wish I had access to Zed’s balcony to watch the show :( … am on Yas Island and suspect nothing viewable here even from a roof deck! Have a great trip all…. Very sad to miss out on this event! 

• Sad (0) 2

8 minutes ago, Niki said:

@Frederic am gutted to have to drop off this trip!! 🥺 am in Abu Dhabi now until Friday!  I wish I had access to Zed’s balcony to watch the show :( … am on Yas Island and suspect nothing viewable here even from a roof deck! Have a great trip all…. Very sad to miss out on this event! 

Ooh sorry to hear that buddy !

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

10 minutes ago, Niki said:

@Frederic o have to drop off this trip!! 🥺 am in Abu Dhabi now until Friday!

Hey bro @Niki all is not lost, i've heard people apply for movement permit for Thursday night/Friday midnight 12-5am and was approved. Try these if you still have the spirit:

1. Download Abu Dhabi Police app, click Favorite Service > Add, search for Movement Permit. Then fill in the details, important is correct phone + correct license plate. Sample screenshot below.

2. Go to Al Quaa Milky Way Spot here https://goo.gl/maps/QFTzWKW1h7QK3gpx6, it's gonna be 1.5hrs drive so plan ahead. Go a bit deeper further where the sedans won't park next to your car, but don't go deep into the desert, I can tell you Al Quaa is full of technical & bowls 😂

3. Decide afterwards whether you want to camp until 5am, or you want to use your permit and go home ☺️

AD Police app:

F476E146-8248-4A1F-A4FF-311454C08077.jpeg.b9019343deb1622340fe971da291da05.jpeg

Al Quaa Stars taken from Normal iPhone: (tells you the very small amount of light pollution there)

92DE747F-090F-4646-B681-A971115E8957.jpeg.8b84bfc36a466814ce9ef096a35acdc6.jpeg

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Zed this is amazing info!! I am with the family and sneaking out may be a challenge however I plan to apply for the permit and see what I can get away with Thursday night!  What stunning pic you captured and that is the dream spot!! Again, many thanks for sharing this and if I manage to pull it off I owe you! 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Niki said:

@Niki horrible news! Was looking forward to a catch up after so many months! Still, you should grab a chair and drive out to Razeen ❤️ it's a one-hour-ish drive and it's going to be the most spectacular place to see the show anyway 🤩!

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

15 minutes ago, Niki said:

@Zed this is amazing info!! I am with the family and sneaking out may be a challenge 

@Niki in case family permit is denied, here's the 3rd best option 👇🏻 all you need is an iPad from your bed 😁

2B481018-E4D0-4222-88E9-5C6BB587F6B1.png.51b34ff83e54af9e462314f2b548be0c.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just an update I am coming with my wife and 6 years old son, hope they enjoy meteor shower too.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use