•  

COVID19 Compliant - Lens Lovers Club - Perseids Meteor Shower and AstroPhotography Session - 12 August 2021

Frederic

1FF0E7CF-77F8-4165-BECE-5E88C4BB45CA.jpeg.5b31d2741d67b9bfb67e5fafd2a7ce52.jpeg

I'm in the wide open area near the trees, having fun playing with the iso settings, caught a straight trail of light... could be a plane, but cos i traveled all the way frm abu dhabi, i'll just call this a "meteor trail" for now 😂

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

Cloud messes up the stars photos, so enjoying Perseids via AR for now, hopefully the clouds shall pass soon 😅

B46DDD1F-B936-4874-91A7-7CA60BCA635F.png.4a61ed7b1387ebedac985450208c78b1.png

• Like (+1) 1

Well that was an interesting experience ! 

Most of us arrived a bit before midnight, and @samamara had already setup up and found the premium spot, in front of the lake. As we had kids with us we stayed a bit further away from the lake. Unfortunately it was extremely busy as it seemed everyone came out to spot the meteors that night. That also made it quite difficult to see who made it to the meeting point or not.

My apologies if we were not able to meet or see everyone. I do suspect there were 4-5 people that did not come, and with so many other cars and people around this was quite difficult. Some were using the radio as we requested and we were able to meet up. 

In the future my opinion is we should keep it at maximum 10 members and ensure we can meetup somewhere and do a proper introduction. That way, if any member has technical questions about the setup he can ask any of the seniors. Like on the previous sessions, meeting up and deflating together, followed by going with a convoy gives a better “team” feeling.

A big thanks to @munkybizness for coming up with the idea, and @samamara for finding this gem of an area. We will definitely be back and surely it will be less busy then.

On the parking lot we met an Astronomer who brought his massive telescope and he was so friendly to give us some nice views of Saturn and Jupiter. It’s amazing to see someone’s passion and skill and it gave us a nice glimpse into the miracle we call universe. 

Now with the weather cooling down, we will be able to do another session very soon. Hope to see you all back !

• Like (+1) 6

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

40 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Now with the weather cooling down, we will be able to do another session very soon. Hope to see you all back !

Thanks @Frederic for arranging, the Astronomer encounter confirmed that we're at the right spot... it was cloudy from sunrise to 9am in DIFC area so maybe the clouds from last night are in the city now 😅 Looking forward to winter Lens Club events, i hate conversations being cut so next time definitely do a Combo with Camping so we can talk all night while watching the sky ☺️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

Thank you @Fredericfor making this happen. And doing it with such elan! Although, seeing how @Gaurav & @Srikumar "joined" us into the dam was very suspect :D Thanks for confirming on the radio that it was them. For a moment, my brain couldn't comprehend why this car was trailing 400m behind me - like a cop. Guess the "marshal" values never leave the system 😛 

It's amazing hearing how many people interacted with the astronomer in the parking lot. He was inviting every car in the lot to come take a peek at Jupiter. A little gutted that I didn't join the wider crew but my brother and I were the sole campers on the bridge. After oversleeping and rushing to Gaurav's drive in the AM, I managed to steal a few winks under the night sky. At 2.30am, a hissing snake on our makeshift rug rudely awakened (read scared the crap out of us) and we chickened back to the car in the parking lot, and then out soon after.

Will definitely look forward to the next drive and seeing you all again soon!

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2

Managed only to take a few shots. I was being lazy and tired last night and the camping chair and good company was waiting for me :)

Taken with Canon 5Dmk2, Samyang 14mm. ISO 2000-3200 and shutter speed between 8-15 seconds.

Next to the white Pajero you will find @samamara working on her timelapse and bitten by millons of mosquitoes !

IMG_0016-2.jpg.ac077376317173db72a66ced9d37061e.jpgIMG_0004-2.jpg.da1e01a5ea693e649713d0c1e8b3076b.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thanks @Frederic for organizing the event. It was fun catching up with you @Gaurav @Srikumar and all. Though clouds and nature played their tricks limiting the sighting other than the dubious ones by Gaurav 😂😂, it was a fun trip with mysterious location (somehow quite a few ppl managed to decode it) and nice bunch. On the way back saw a couple more - shower was more like Dubai rain shower needed some spl eyes to witness them...😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Frederic said:

Well that was an interesting experience ! 

Most of us arrived a bit before midnight, and @samamara had already setup up and found the premium spot, in front of the lake. As we had kids with us we stayed a bit further away from the lake. Unfortunately it was extremely busy as it seemed everyone came out to spot the meteors that night. That also made it quite difficult to see who made it to the meeting point or not.

My apologies if we were not able to meet or see everyone. I do suspect there were 4-5 people that did not come, and with so many other cars and people around this was quite difficult. Some were using the radio as we requested and we were able to meet up. 

In the future my opinion is we should keep it at maximum 10 members and ensure we can meetup somewhere and do a proper introduction. That way, if any member has technical questions about the setup he can ask any of the seniors. Like on the previous sessions, meeting up and deflating together, followed by going with a convoy gives a better “team” feeling.

A big thanks to @munkybizness for coming up with the idea, and @samamara for finding this gem of an area. We will definitely be back and surely it will be less busy then.

On the parking lot we met an Astronomer who brought his massive telescope and he was so friendly to give us some nice views of Saturn and Jupiter. It’s amazing to see someone’s passion and skill and it gave us a nice glimpse into the miracle we call universe. 

Even with the crowds and that light pollution it was still a great night ❤️ and it was super nice to meet everyone. I hope we have another event soon! Thanks @Frederic and everyone!

4 hours ago, BipinM said:

Thanks a ton as always ..@Frederic @Gaurav @samamara…  My daughter really loved the experience and so did I … @samamara really awesome for you to give her all the expert tips ! Thanks again folks .. 

@BipinM not at all - she's really lovely and I was glad to help. She can ask me anytime :) 

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

Managed only to take a few shots. I was being lazy and tired last night and the camping chair and good company was waiting for me :)

Taken with Canon 5Dmk2, Samyang 14mm. ISO 2000-3200 and shutter speed between 8-15 seconds.

Next to the white Pajero you will find @samamara working on her timelapse and bitten by millons of mosquitoes !

IMG_0016-2.jpg.ac077376317173db72a66ced9d37061e.jpgIMG_0004-2.jpg.da1e01a5ea693e649713d0c1e8b3076b.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Great shots @Frederic! We may have had lots of light pollution and not many meteors but we were certainly graced with lots of dramatic clouds which really added a lot to our shots ❤️ . And yes...millions of mosquitos and whatever else...my car was filled with them when I left this morning! Looking forward to lots more adventures with all of you!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use