•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Fossil Rock to Big Red Express - Sharjah - 7 Aug 2021

@Lorenzo Candelpergher an accurate piece of writing as if u had a drone on top of the convoy recording every bit. thank you. There were occasional stucks which are expected in such drives actually it may consume time but also enhance experience and improve skills of driver those stuck, recovery participants and even those watching it. Non incidental drives can become pleasantly boring..😅. I was a bit dissapointed to see that fossil rock is going to be closed and was been totally fenced but if they have found some ancient history buried than it will be worth it for coming tourist and generations. I alwasy felt some sections specially east side of the rock looked like some sort of man made structures protruding from the sand.  I am also dismayed to see trash that people dump in the beautiful desert... like we divers (scuba) do form groups to collect under water trash from the shores of Dubai perhaps one day all the hundred of drivers including other club put togather can be persuaded to have a desert clean up day. Returning to morning drive@M.Seidam I enjoyed driving behind u, yes at one spot the it got tricky coming out for u it was just a matter of few more minutes and you would have climbed out. I agree with our trip lead 100% that drivers in the back should short cut/ re route without announcing on radio. Everyone did their best appreciate their enthusiam. 

With some saddness, I wish to announce that soon I shall be leaving the Carnity club and resume my real passion of Boat sailing and Scuba Diving. I will not abandon the dunes but will come on drives occasionaly.. surely the free one 😉. Thank you@Carnity

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad (0) 5

5 minutes ago, Ashok chaturvedi said:

With some saddness, I wish to announce that soon I shall be leaving the Carnity club and resume my real passion of Boat sailing and Scuba Diving. I will not abandon the dunes but will come on drives occasionaly.. surely the free one 😉. Thank you@Carnity

Happy that you are chasing your passion, at the same time sad to see you leaving the club!!! Wish you all the best!!!

• Like (+1) 7

@Lorenzo Candelpergher another frustrating drive it seems.

I have a few comments on your report; Firstly with regards to you reporting that i ignored your instructions? It comes as a surprise as I did request over the radio to fix it quickly as its not a good idea to drive without it especially in the big dunes where we could possibly be crossing other convoys, it was fixed in 1 minute, but its up to you to interpret that as you wish. 

Secondly your comments on the sweep, the center forward (senior) and the car following him did not communicate that they got lost, neither did the car following them radio in that he cant see them as he was able to see the rest of the convoy in front of them as we all followed along, I was 5 cars behind them and as a result was in no position to see them or even try to find them in those big dunes, in addition no one said anything over the radio for me to act on, only when we all passed them hundreds of meters on did they radio in that they are lost, this was then i then ask where are they and i got out to look for them, this was told to you at the time but it seems like you ignored what was told to you and still are of the opinion that I was not able to carry out my responsibility for the drive, your frustration noted and as you were not at the back and did not see what was taking place I informed you of what was happening.

Lastly I want to thanks everyone I’ve driven with over the past 1+ years while being part of the carnity team, i learned a lot from you guys, its been fun, this was my last drive with Carnity.  

I wish you all the best. 

Thanks and take care.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Lorenzo Candelpergher being in middle of that chaos I agree with what @Francois Germishuys mentioned... In the maze of tech dune was actually impractical for Sweep to see through the whole convoy ..The whole chaos happened when convoy started to move while I was on an informed break (First mistake). Me and all driver behind me were a couple of min late however i could see tracks and followed and actually through the dunes could see you and couple of cars (not always feasible to see the immediate next car if distance is more in tech dunes,  but gave assurance we are on right line). While following you and others, at the fag end I took a wrong track and detoured a bit (second error) which I missed to note but @Shehab Alawadhi corrected and we all were back with convoy. 

Somehow two left out cars perhaps had a refusal or something and informed a bit late leading to the third error. Perhaps their refusal happened around the same point we detoured so we didn't see them and crossed from other side.

Same thing was repeated again when while realigning after a refusal of someone in front I  had a minor refusal (informed over radio and acknowledged by convoy as I am not sure who but someone guided me about no hurdles behind me while I reversed), cars in front of me continued, leading to the increased gap you mentioned. 

A bit verbose however I think needed to be clarified. If I couldn't see the car in front of me, I am sure wasn't practical for Sweep to note at all about what has happened. 

Anyways an important lesson for all - don't miss the basics learnt on Absolute Newbie drive - look out for car in front as well as behind oneself. Plus wait for those on break...😃 In middle.of all this, few min of lead experience that I had added to confidence more than the whole drive (not that drive was any less experience)...😃😃

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Francois Germishuys just noted that it's your last drive...if the reason is something like what happened on the drive --- seriously dude,.you kidding us? Such thing happens in all team sport.. If something else, wish you all the best and surely will miss you at the end of convoys - I guess all drives we did together you have always been at the end with your lovely ride..looking after us all. Hope to see you sometime on sand, cheers..

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Francois Germishuys said:

@Lorenzo Candelpergher another frustrating drive it seems.

I have a few comments on your report; Firstly with regards to you reporting that i ignored your instructions? It comes as a surprise as I did request over the radio to fix it quickly as its not a good idea to drive without it especially in the big dunes where we could possibly be crossing other convoys, it was fixed in 1 minute, but its up to you to interpret that as you wish. 

Secondly your comments on the sweep, the center forward (senior) and the car following him did not communicate that they got lost, neither did the car following them radio in that he cant see them as he was able to see the rest of the convoy in front of them as we all followed along, I was 5 cars behind them and as a result was in no position to see them or even try to find them in those big dunes, in addition no one said anything over the radio for me to act on, only when we all passed them hundreds of meters on did they radio in that they are lost, this was then i then ask where are they and i got out to look for them, this was told to you at the time but it seems like you ignored what was told to you and still are of the opinion that I was not able to carry out my responsibility for the drive, your frustration noted and as you were not at the back and did not see what was taking place I informed you of what was happening.

Lastly I want to thanks everyone I’ve driven with over the past 1+ years while being part of the carnity team, i learned a lot from you guys, its been fun, this was my last drive with Carnity.  

I wish you all the best. 

Thanks and take care.

I must say and be honest @Lorenzo Candelpergher that I agree with most points that @Francois Germishuysmade firstly The guys who had refusal must have informed on the radio it’s a very basic rule, this way things would have been different.

secondly, I also agree that there were no way for the sweep to spot them or even none of us in the back even before the sweep to see them that they have refusal in a pocket, I guess they were too shy to admit it anyway You know to see five cars on the front and don’t have any visuals before them you’d automatically think that they are already on the other side of the dunes. As mentioned the problem would have been solved IF THEY ANNOUNCED IT. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Abu Muhammad said:

The guys who had refusal must have informed on the radio it’s a very basic rule, this way things would have been different.

@Abu MuhammadI crossed the s track and immediately few seconds later Dr @M.Seidamdid announced his refusal and his reattempt, it was very clear on the radio, even @Lorenzo Candelpergher was checking if they recovered, Somehow it was missed in the back.

Definitely @Francois Germishuys would not be able to see what happened in the middle as he was  behind cross dune. 

When some one announced refusal, it would be better for car behind immediately to reconfirm over radio if they are clear before starting again (specifically when there’s no visual), which would have avoided today’s situation.

Definitely cars in the back missed the right track (as there were so many tracks, easy to pick different one), if so you would have been behind Dr. @M.Seidam and @Ashok chaturvedi. If car in the behind was not sure of the track, could have asked @Lorenzo Candelpergher who specifically mentioned that and was always happy to come back and lead to rejoin the convoy again (he did that multiple times)

Anyways, I would say there’s nothing to be taken personally, this is all learning to be more alert and to be more safe in future drives!!!

• Like (+1) 5

8 hours ago, Abu Muhammad said:

I must say and be honest @Lorenzo Candelpergher that I agree with most points that @Francois Germishuysmade firstly The guys who had refusal must have informed on the radio it’s a very basic rule, this way things would have been different.

secondly, I also agree that there were no way for the sweep to spot them or even none of us in the back even before the sweep to see them that they have refusal in a pocket, I guess they were too shy to admit it anyway You know to see five cars on the front and don’t have any visuals before them you’d automatically think that they are already on the other side of the dunes. As mentioned the problem would have been solved IF THEY ANNOUNCED IT. 

Dear @Abu Muhammad, I took the freedom to do some fact checking, and I think @Lakshmi Narasimhannailed it in his last comment. 

I was able to check from the video taken from @M.Seidam that, in fact, @M.Seidam clearly announced on the radio "I'm trying again, Lorenzo" and I responded "I'm holding". However, no one behind apparently acknowledged this exchange nor reacted about it, furthermore failing to realize (and therefore to announce on the radio) they had taken the wrong track, not being in visual distance with @Ashok chaturvedi, who as well hadn't noticed that nobody was following him. 

In the meantime, in fact, the last 5 cars where already on another track, because in the video when @Ashok chaturvedi held his position behind the struggling XTerra he had no one behind him.

Find the video here (shared with @M.Seidam's permission):

I hope this closes this chapter: two cars were in trouble, it was announced, the lead stopped (it was just me and @Lakshmi Narasimhan, whom I was leading up to the 1st part of the convoy), but the last 5 cars, who were a bit too far behind, probably, failed to acknowledge the situation, went along a different track without realising it and reached the first part of the convoy soon after, following a different path, having missed the fact that two cars, who had announced having issues, were not to be seen around. In the end, convoy discipline wasn't applied properly and we ended with two lost cars to be found. 

It's nobody's fault and everyone's fault. These things happen and will happen many times again. The point is not to blame this or that driver or to discuss "if only they had done or not done this or that", but to jointly understand what went wrong, why it happened and, possibly, to learn, all of us from lead to sweep, how to avoid such situations in the future. 

Possibly without taking any of this as something personal. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 1

9 minutes ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

It's nobody's fault and everyone's fault. These things happen and will happen many times again. The point is not to blame this or that driver or to discuss "if only they had done or not done this or that", but to joinly understand what went wrong, why it happened and, possibly, to learn, all of us from lead to sweep, how to avoid such situations in the future. 

Possibly without taking any of this as something personal. 

True @Lorenzo Candelpergher ..let's learn and move on...

btw guys if not for @Shehab Alawadhi you guys would have left me alone in desert while I was trying to grow some plants there.....will think 10 times before the next bio break request....😭😭😭😭

Thanks @Shehab Alawadhi you are my saviour....👍👍👍🙂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

Important Information

Terms of use