•  

From Above...

Enrico Biscaro

Beautiful one @Enrico Biscaro I believe @Lorenzo Candelpergher can help regarding drone operations.

When I sow the footage I imagined how beautiful our vehicles were sailing the fossil rock !

• Like (+1) 3

Fantastic video @Enrico Biscaro !

I have two drones, and occasionally try to find the time and space to fly them. Oddly enough, during flying, i am more in awe of the technology the drone has to reach these heights and maneuver effortlessly, and i don't spend enough time on the recording and video-editing part. But looking at your video now i completely get the majestic recording and the soundtrack that gave the right ambience as well. I hope i will find more time to practice and get better recordings.

I am looking for the winter to come back soon so we can setup the tent and enjoy the scenery !

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Nice video @Enrico Biscaro.

I am a licenced commercial drone pilot and use drone aerial shootings for work mostly for progress monitoring and aerial surveys at construction sites. I must say this is a professional activity but I do it more as a diversion from the real work, which is running a construction project management company 

I occasionally do shoots for other commercial purposes as well, but I must say in recent times I haven't been piloting much, as I've been very busy with other stuff and for quite some time my video editing laptop was under repair (I edit with Da Vinci Resolve). 

I have currently use a DJI Mavic 2 Pro, a DJI Phantom 4 and a DJI Inspire 2 (the last used only for professional shootings). 

It will be a pleasure to exchange views and ideas about drones. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

It will be a pleasure to exchange views and ideas about drones. 

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and I edit in Final Cut. A question I have is

How can you get permit to fly in the yellow areas in Dubai? Do you need to be certified somehow? 

Thank you 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Enrico Biscaro said:

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and I edit in Final Cut. A question I have is

How can you get permit to fly in the yellow areas in Dubai? Do you need to be certified somehow? 

Thank you 

@Enrico Biscaro, this a painful topic. 

First of all, as a hobbyist pilot, you are supposed to register your drone with GCAA (General Civil Aviation Authority) and are free to use it in all emirates except Dubai with the standard limitation (max 120m AGL, max 500 flight radius, i.e. distance, but always in VLOS - visual line of sight, no flying over crowds and private properties, no flying after sunset and before sunrise). In addition, to fly in Dubai emirate, you need to take a specific exam to be certified as an "Hobbyist RPAS Pilot" (RPAS = Remoted Piloted Aircraft System), register your drone and license with DCAA (Dubai Civil Aviation Authority) and apply their ID stickers on both remote and aircraft. This is to fly freely in GREEN ZONES and operate your camera for hobbyist purposes.. Should your footage be used for commercial purposes, you'd be violating the local regulations.

To fly in Yellow Zones, you will require each time a specific permission by the relevant authority, depending on the location (i.e. GCAA for all other emirates, DCAA for Dubai). These permissions are normally granted only for commercial purposes and they are quite expensive (approx 6-7k AED for a single day flying/shooting session). You will need to obtain clearance from GCAA/DCAA + MOD, which is normally only possible by applying through a licensed entity (=company) which has obtained security clearance from MOD. I have tried multiple times to obtain an NOC to fly in YELLOW ZONES for hobbyist purposes but I never succeeded, despite having all the other credentials for professional use. Whenever you fly in yellow or red zones under a GCAA/DCAA NOC, an inspector from MOD will be sent to monitor your operations. If in Dubai, you will have to use a tracker (which sends all data to DCAA, who monitor that you stay within the authorized parameters, which are typically the standard ones, unless you are in RED ZONES, where you may have reduced AGL and flight radius, and coordinate with ATC (Air Traffic Control) before/after take-off and landing. 

As you can see, drones are very strictly regulated in the UAE and I recommend you really know the subject well. Some dare to fly their drones without permissions even in Yellow Zones (which in UAE are mostly defined for military purposes), but I wouldn't recommend doing so, as you may risk to get your aircraft seized and to be fined, if caught. Should you fly close enough to a military base, you may get your drone taken down! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

That severely limits the potential areas for flying:

https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/Pages/NoFlyZone.aspx

Al Qudra area is fine, including most of Marmoon conservatory:

image.png.e134246ce25d2bc5e62c7efa48206864.png

Al Aweer, Suwaydan, and Maliha areas are OK.

image.png.c21dfc4ece074b8600fa46c5a5cce5e4.png

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Grazie Lorenzo,

My drone is registered and I have the app to check if I can fly or not.

My policy is to remain within the allowed zones and respect all the regulation. The last thing I need is trouble in paradise.

Not worth for me to apply for permits. 

I believe the desert will iv emerge plenty of opportunities to fly safely and compliantly. 

Thank you 

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

17 minutes ago, Enrico Biscaro said:

Grazie Lorenzo,

My drone is registered and I have the app to check if I can fly or not.

My policy is to remain within the allowed zones and respect all the regulation. The last thing I need is trouble in paradise.

Not worth for me to apply for permits. 

I believe the desert will iv emerge plenty of opportunities to fly safely and compliantly. 

Thank you 

@Enrico Biscaro, just be mindful of the fact that registering your drone with GCAA under the MyDroneHub App is NOT sufficient to fly it in the Emirate of Dubai.

This is the UA (Unmanned Aircraft) registration certificate you get from GCAA:

2003406728_Screenshot_20210803-131213_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.acb7d024ccf452e34e28f489e2474d20.jpg

This allows you to fly in Green zones in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Umm Al Quain, Ras Al Khaimah, Fujairah and Ajman but NOT in Dubai. 

To fly in Dubai you need and Hobbyist RPAS Pilot Certificate like the one below, plus your drone must be additionally registered and labeled with DCAA (Dubai Civil Aviation Authority) which is DIFFERENT than GCAA (General Civil Aviation Authority). 

Screenshot_20210803-130416_Egnyte.jpg.5d0d864b600ef7b26bc5441047eeaf0f.jpg

Here's an example of hobbyist registration label for my Phantom 4:

20210803_130708.jpg.90bf1a1c25dfccd96dd032b9f0ac8bb3.jpg

As you will see I have two labels (it and old photo so the label dates are now expired). Same Wing Number, but one is for hobbyist use and the other is for commercial. 

Many believe that having the MyDroneHub registration under GCAA is sufficient to fly in Al Qudra, for example, but in fact it isn't... 

• Like (+1) 4

Important Information

Terms of use