•  
Advertise here

FJ Cruiser vs Pajero vs Wrangler vs Xterra - which one is better for my use?

samamara

For me its always the Xterra both offroad and onroad. Cheap to maintain. Good gas mileage. Gives me 470 km approx on a full tank. Has good power and now my roars like a lion when I accelerate after adding a little silicon oil into the fan clutch. I started to love that roar. Reminds me of being the alpha lion in the pack. 

I consider my as a he. Getting his knock sensors changed now even as I type. 2nd hand cost me 50 AED. Hopefully the sensors will tell his heart to beat faster with less food. 

I don't know much about other cars much and I probably will not anyways as I got to get tired of my stallion 1st which I doubt I will never. 

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 1

@samamara I almost am glad I found carnity ‘after’ I decided the car to buy!!!!! 😳 … your short list has got longer.

I don’t think there’s a wrong choice in the list given… if buying new using the banks cash - Jeep is the only new or nearly new car still on your list.  Photo trips where your passengers can stand as the roof is off and shoot freely cannot be rivaled.  Also go head out to the nearest dealership and go for a true test drive to get a sense of the road comfort and noise… our ears on this forum are programmed due to, as Gaurav calls it, ‘brand afinity’ … let your own ears and experince be the ultimate judge!  

My experience in Jeeps with the roof down… the novelty wears off very quickly on highways and dunes … however your Wadi adventures are a completely different game and that experience would I imagine add a completely new dimension (ability to look up and out as you cruise). 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, samamara said:

@Gaurav - thanks for that! I hadn't really thought of that, actually 🤔. I'll look into it as an option but as I hinted in a response to @FredericI'm not sure I'll ever make a decision if I add more to the possible mix. Any Xterra owners out there can weigh in with pros and cons (though I don't love the idea of a permanent squeak!). 

My Xterra doesn't squeak anymore after I changed the leaf spring bushes. It had a minor squeak but now not there at all. Xterra is a real powerful car. I drive it around 300 to 400km a day and I love driving it all day. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

As a JL driver and someone who liked Pajero but didn't buy one due to cabin noise some years back...i would say JL is not the quietest one in market however far ahead of Pajero in terms of overall cabin experience. So if budget allows i won't even compare Pajero or Xterra with JL. Haven't tried FJ ever so can't comment. Prado and Patrol are surely more comfi but limited flexibility on mods and somehow the overall feel/look don't fit into my liking

JK and earlier versions perhaps are a diff topic as they lacked the latest features. Though even JK i would rate better than Pajero or Xterra.

It's not fast but onroad if i have to drive at 100_120kmph i prefer my JL over my sedan a Volvo S90. The whole feel is just awesome. And offroading capability wise it's undoubtedly far ahead of most you mentioned.

I drive a stock Sahara, would have loved a Rubicon however most.ppl advised against it - suggesting that it's not as comfi as Sahara onroad. If i have to buy today would any day go for Rubicon - as once you drive a wrangler - road comfort and drive fun relation have diff definitions. I have no plans for mods, i love the clean stock look. However good part is if one day i will change my mind options are extensive - unlike in any other vehicle. 

Reg rear cabin - my dad as well as my 9yo both at any given day prefers wrangler over my sedan on a long drive (again not for fast drives but at relaxed one). Not my mom so much due to ht of entry point due to her knee issues. 😃

Reg AC - mine is new and till this time I haven't felt any issue even when in middle.of desert in middle of the day. Sure it's not as good as my Sedan or other high end SUVs - Toureg, XC90, X5 etc. Surely better than Pajero..

Last but a very important one the fact you can literally rip it apart - take the doors off, roof off, fold the front wind screen is something truly exciting. Already waiting for winters to come as now have all i need to take the roof off 😃

And forgot to mention - i am every weekend in desert with Carnity with stock wheels on Sahara. They are high profile AT, while i know @Ilya believes differently, we have had multiple discussion on topic 🙂 but I don't see the need to change and have no plans. 

@varunmehndiratta thanks so much for the informative post! Prado and Patrol are out for me, and I'm glad to hear you have a good onroad experience. I do prefer to drive near the 140km/h mark 😂 and I'm not sure I can bring it down but I could try. I'd like to investigate a bit more the comfort level differences between the Sahara and Rubicon, so thank's for bringing that up. You've really covered all the bases, even the one of taking it apart - that's always an exciting prospect but I wonder how much I'll use that. I live in RAK so if I want to go driving in Al Qudra for example, it's not like I'll take the doors off and drive to Dubai so where would I put them once I get there 😂🤔. Thanks for the note on the tires as well, as that's a question I hope to find an answer to!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Niki said:

@samamara I almost am glad I found carnity ‘after’ I decided the car to buy!!!!! 😳 … your short list has got longer.

I don’t think there’s a wrong choice in the list given… if buying new using the banks cash - Jeep is the only new or nearly new car still on your list.  Photo trips where your passengers can stand as the roof is off and shoot freely cannot be rivaled.  Also go head out to the nearest dealership and go for a true test drive to get a sense of the road comfort and noise… our ears on this forum are programmed due to, as Gaurav calls it, ‘brand afinity’ … let your own ears and experince be the ultimate judge!  

My experience in Jeeps with the roof down… the novelty wears off very quickly on highways and dunes … however your Wadi adventures are a completely different game and that experience would I imagine add a completely new dimension (ability to look up and out as you cruise). 

@Niki Yes, my question definitely rated more answers than I was ready for 😂! You've really hit the nail on the head though; I think I need to go and try a few for real test drives. I would also like to stand up and stick my lens out of the roof 😂. You know I love the wadis as well and I have thought of having the roof and really enjoying; I just want to be sure that's not the only reason I'd get one 😉.

I must say though, on your note re: the brand afinity, I have gotten lots of great answers from everyone here, most of them seem objective, and I'm really happy and thankful to all for that 😊🙏🏼!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, samamara said:I must say though, on your note re: the brand afinity, I have gotten lots of great answers from everyone here, most of them seem objective, and I'm really happy and thankful to all for that 😊🙏🏼!

When @varunmehndiratta recommends a Toyota and @Hisham Masaad  a Jeep … we will officially declare peace in the Middle East :) 

@samamara … this has made a great read for us all … thanks for starting the discussion and for all that shared.  Keep us posted on your findings and decision! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, Niki said:

When @varunmehndiratta recommends a Toyota and @Hisham Masaad  a Jeep … we will officially declare peace in the Middle East :) 

@samamara … this has made a great read for us all … thanks for starting the discussion and for all that shared.  Keep us posted on your findings and decision! 

Thanks @Niki and to all who participated in the chat. I have a lot to think about and a bit of time to decide, but whatever I end up with I'm sure you'll all see it on a Carnity drive eventually ❤️ or in the wadis ;)

• Like (+1) 3

Hi @samamara 

first of all thank you for your post , yet useful discussion indeed for all .It is always not an easy decision when it comes to which is best. 

last year I came across similar cross road of what to choose and my second hand short list was Wrangler , Pagero and Xterra drove all of them as test drive ending up with 2012 Xterra. all the three were apparently clean after checking and at that time I didn’t want to spend lots of money so I found the Xterra the best of both world ( driving me to work and back home with daily almost 70 km on average , comfortable enough as a single driver , as well as my weekly desert capable powerful machine in sand terrain ) . Squeezing leaves was never a problem with regular steam wash😊

however if it’s a bank funded brand new I would have gone straight away for the Super safari SWB . 
If I am a fan of wadi and photography then its the rubicon no doubt be it SWB or LWB it’s your choice of space and number of passengers you would like to carry with you , not mentioning the handy removal of roofs doors .. etc and tons of mods “ RTA approved “ annual registration headache free and warranty .. etc 

FJ is great off-roader  but i am too claustrophobic for daily use as well as visibility was important as I was at the beginning of the learning curve. So it was out of my choice regardless new or sec hand . 

my humble advice  short list your needs against the short list of the available  options in the light of the different opinions ( another reason why I like this unbiased community ) and I hope you get best what you are looking for . 

best of luck 🙏

Mohamed 

Edited by M.Seidam
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Niki said:

Hahaha @Niki ... I actually like FJ Xtreme has really a nice feel to it, especially lole the way doors open. It's pretty unique and cool....only thing that i have been trying to figure out is where to go once the mystery door opens...😃😃😃

It's a beautiful lamp but no space for poor Genie...😉😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Niki said:

You never know @Niki, peace might come soon. My sun Abdelghani started taking driving courses, and his eyes are open on my Fj. If decide to look for another car, I will post on the forum, asking for suggestions again, matching my requirements and preferences. Looks will be convinced by Jeep (after so much brain wash happening 😂)buy it, drive it, and start recommending it

7 hours ago, samamara said:

Thanks @Niki and to all who participated in the chat. I have a lot to think about and a bit of time to decide, but whatever I end up with I'm sure you'll all see it on a Carnity drive eventually ❤️ or in the wadis ;)

Wish you all the best @samamara, hoping you decision will be the best for you. Look forward to see you in sand enjoying your new car

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1