•  

Carnity’s Spotify List

Frederic

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

Brings me to “Eagles”.. there’s a certain fellow with a green manual gear 4x4 that loves cruising to Sweihan blasting them through his speakers 😃

@Srikumar

hahaha....Thanks Fred for introducing me to Spotify. I love the soft rocks of 70s and 80s like Bee Gees, Dire Straits and yes, I absolutely love the Eagles with one of my favorites being The Last Resort.

But with the Indian music collection improving on Spotify, my current playlist are old Hindi songs from the Black and White Days of the 50s and 60s, where poetry, lyrics and the singer's voice were given more importance than the music. That was a time when you would have singers going through an entire song in a single take with a live orchestra. In Hindi songs, my all time favorite singers are Mohd. Rafi, Mukesh and Manna Dey. 

In Instruments, one of my favorite Indian instruments is the Santoor. Try listening to the music of Shiv Kumar Sharma's Spirit of Kashmir in the early hours of the day. It transports you to another world. The sound of the running water at the start is so amazing.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4IlPJeZ7wWAb7uIy9dblYN?si=wKlCeeHjQhamChW3pAFsbw&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

• Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

23 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

hahaha....Thanks Fred for introducing me to Spotify. I love the soft rocks of 70s and 80s like Bee Gees, Dire Straits and yes, I absolutely love the Eagles with one of my favorites being The Last Resort.

But with the Indian music collection improving on Spotify, my current playlist are old Hindi songs from the Black and White Days of the 50s and 60s, where poetry, lyrics and the singer's voice were given more importance than the music. That was a time when you would have singers going through an entire song in a single take with a live orchestra. In Hindi songs, my all time favorite singers are Mohd. Rafi, Mukesh and Manna Dey. 

In Instruments, one of my favorite Indian instruments is the Santoor. Try listening to the music of Shiv Kumar Sharma's Spirit of Kashmir in the early hours of the day. It transports you to another world. The sound of the running water at the start is so amazing.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4IlPJeZ7wWAb7uIy9dblYN?si=wKlCeeHjQhamChW3pAFsbw&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

That's indeed a great and mesmerizing song. I added it to the Spotify list. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Alain Canivet-Abikhalil said:

Amazing !

I do have a DESERT playlist going on :

I love Tinariwen, you might like the Belgian band called "Zita Swoon" as well :) The singer called "Stef Kamil Carlens" makes different kinds of music, but under "Zita Swoon Group" you will find lots of his world music.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Love this idea and thanks for starting the playlist @Frederic.  My current music taste is inspired by my 10yo daughter (Korean pop) and my 9yo son (dude perfect YouTube backing music!). As such I will just consume and not contributes at this stage!  

I like the playlist evolving into a more eclectic catalog with @Srikumar addition!

I’ll get myself back into Spotify and hopefully share some of my desert cruising favorites… be warned I like mellow tunes so no judgement if it’s a different style of driving music :) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Srikumar said:

I had the good fortune to see Shiv Kumar Sharma perform in Delhi about five years ago. Absolutely transcendental...

Adding a couple of Ragas by Ustad Ali Akbar Khan to this mix too:

Rag Manj Khammaj - Ustad Ali Akbar Khan

Rag Misra Mand - Ustad Ali Akbar Khan

Rag Alam Bhairav - Ustad Ali Akbar Khan

3 hours ago, Alain Canivet-Abikhalil said:

Amazing !

I do have a DESERT playlist going on :

Awesome! I'm going to steal quite a few tracks from here :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I also do have a desert playlist, and its a Arabic playlist, yes I know, the Local listens to Arabic music in the desert, surprising 😂. However its on YouTube sadly. If you have YouTube premium you're lucky, if not ill do my best to make find the songs on Spotify.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6Q94kbBQhZb2YA_SpMktd7rB2JVCMKWt

Its still being updated when I find some new hyper Arabic desert songs :) 

• Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

2 minutes ago, Shehab Alawadhi said:

I also do have a desert playlist, and its a Arabic playlist, yes I know, the Local listens to Arabic music in the desert, surprising 😂. However its on YouTube sadly. If you have YouTube premium you're lucky, if not ill do my best to make find the songs on Spotify.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6Q94kbBQhZb2YA_SpMktd7rB2JVCMKWt

Its still being updated when I find some new hyper Arabic desert songs :) 

Music knows no borders (or languages). It runs freely like the desert winds. Thanks for exposing us to these 🙏

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, munkybizness said:

Music knows no borders (or languages). It runs freely like the desert winds. Thanks for exposing us to these 🙏

I totally agree, i even have a metal playlist (a couple of those actually) , 2 throwback playlists (as in late 90s to early 2000s), and a hype playlist. I can share them if you like :)   

• Like (+1) 3

We have covered now the following nationalities:

1) USA (Bruce Springsteen, Jimi Hendrix, Steely Dan, etc..)
2) UK ( Eric Clapton, America, Squarepusher, David Bowie, Tom Robinsons Band, etc..)
3) Italy (Ligabue)
4) India (Shuvkumar Sharma, Hariprasad Chaurasia)
5) Australia (The Triffids)
6) Netherlands (Blof, De Dijk)
7) Belgium (Admiral Freebee)
8) Japan (Riyuchi Sakamoto)
9) Canada (Bryan Adams)
10) Scotland (Simple Minds)

Some nice anecdotes as well:

- The Song "Layla" by Derek and The Dominoes (Eric Clapton) is based on the Arabic poem and story of Layla and Majnun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layla_and_Majnun
- The Song "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" By Riuychi Sakamoto is the soundtrack of the movie with the same name, that came out in 1983

-The guitar solo in the song "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd, is considered and ranked by many as one of the best guitar solos ever made. 

Please share your anecdotes about your favorite bands as well !

• Like (+1) 5
  • WOW (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use