•  

Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Margham - Dubai - 27 Aug 2021

Brette

Looking forward to my 3rd drive and especially experience the "improved" car... 

Thanks for allowing me to be the second lead as well.

see you all tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dear all,

Thanks to Brett and the leads in this drive for showing us something new today and what a drive!

I really learn a few things today.

1. I am happy with my new AT tires. Climbing requires less momentum, as demonstrated by the little jump I performed off a small ridge. Unfortunately that was not captured on camera. Jumps are bad!

2. I happy with the new AT tires. You can rally feel the better grip and traction.

3. I deflated to 10 psi. That might be a bit too much. Will try 11 the next time as I ended the drive at up at 11 psi. I recon 11+ 1 = 12 should be good.  

4. You need momentum when you try to use the dune as a parabolic curve. Without Momentum Gravity wins. (check the vide when I got a refusal)

5. I feel more secure when climbing and descending with the new tire, the lift and getting rid of the front bumper + skids. 

6. I really like to drive along the ridges. It's kind of a roller coaster. 

7. We experience some soft sand patches and those can be fun when you understand how to cope. They are also fun as they are challenging. 

What is still not clear. 

1. Before today, I always drove in 4H. Today I tried 4HLC and I felt better when taking a parabolic curve and when steering hard. Is this only my impression or is there something to it in your experience? 

2. I need to get better at riding the dune on the incline, gravity still wins a bit too much because I tend to try and point my front wheels up slightly to drift.

Hope you enjoy the short movie :-)

• Well Done (+2) 7

Trip report:

It was good to see everyone at the meeting point on time and all smiles. After a quick briefing we were off just in time to see the sun rise over the dunes. The area we entered from turned out to be a bit deceiving and about 15 minutes into the drive I got myself into a soft pocket and needed @Rizwanm2 to give me a quick tug. 

With newbie drives I tend to start with some small technical patches where we drive through slow but it requires each drivers undivided attention. It was going to be a challenge with a 16 long convoy, but knowing that I had @Rizwanm2 @Nabil Bishara and @marks in support was a blessing and I went ahead. We did have our share of stucks and refusals that were quickly handled by the support team and we made it all the way to the camel farm at the other end. I was really impressed with the entire convoy, you all did exceptionally well. A special shout out to @Bernard Kalaani @salah2u and @YazGayed who were on their first newbie drive and managed very well. From the camel farm we moved towards the bigger rolling dunes of Margham where everyone hopefully had fun riding the flatter ridges and doing some sideys before we exited.

@YazGayed sorry about the rear bumper lower facia getting ripped off. If you plan to use the JGC a lot in the desert, I would suggest leaving it without the lower facia in the front and back. It gives you a bit more clearance as well. 

Thanks again @Rizwanm2 @Nabil Bishara and  @marks for the excellent support and @Enrico Biscaro for being the perfect second lead, you maintained the perfect distance and on a couple of occasions rerouted the convoy perfectly. 

Well done ladies and gentlemen. See you all again in the sand..

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 2

On 8/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, Enrico Biscaro said:

Dear all,

Thanks to Brett and the leads in this drive for showing us something new today and what a drive!

I really learn a few things today.

1. I am happy with my new AT tires. Climbing requires less momentum, as demonstrated by the little jump I performed off a small ridge. Unfortunately that was not captured on camera. Jumps are bad!

2. I happy with the new AT tires. You can rally feel the better grip and traction.

3. I deflated to 10 psi. That might be a bit too much. Will try 11 the next time as I ended the drive at up at 11 psi. I recon 11+ 1 = 12 should be good.  

4. You need momentum when you try to use the dune as a parabolic curve. Without Momentum Gravity wins. (check the vide when I got a refusal)

5. I feel more secure when climbing and descending with the new tire, the lift and getting rid of the front bumper + skids. 

6. I really like to drive along the ridges. It's kind of a roller coaster. 

7. We experience some soft sand patches and those can be fun when you understand how to cope. They are also fun as they are challenging. 

What is still not clear. 

1. Before today, I always drove in 4H. Today I tried 4HLC and I felt better when taking a parabolic curve and when steering hard. Is this only my impression or is there something to it in your experience? 

2. I need to get better at riding the dune on the incline, gravity still wins a bit too much because I tend to try and point my front wheels up slightly to drift.

Hope you enjoy the short movie :-)

Dear @Enrico Biscaro

thank you for the comments and more the super illustrative clip that I hope all have watched . I liked the two comperative moments of what happens when Choose not to fight gravity and when you choose to do that . 

the more you drive the more how you know and read how the particular incline needs how entry to it should be smooth it’s matter of time . Regarding 4HLC can’t comment on it and probably the pagero forum is what you need to look at regarding this particular one. 

Cheers 👍

Edited by M.Seidam
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use