•  
Advertise here

Y61 SS Upgrades Help & Recommendations

hey @munkybizness  The most powerful light i have it is on my front bumper. its 21 inch latest LED laser technology by Tobies  its much slimmer than the older version and its much brighter as well. 

also i have installed 2 amber lights inside front grill with some modification and 2 side shooters on the hood and 1 small light at rear roof.  

These are not expensive lights, but it does the job and im happy with performance. 

951001139_3jun2021-1_LI(2).jpg.45b4d33e88a20dfe1e22210cfce93fe6.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

btw to light up all these im using 4 way remote control switch panel. so no drilling required in dash or bulky switch panel sticking out of dash.. 

Edited by Rizwanm2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Rizwanm2 said:

hey @munkybizness  The most powerful light i have it is on my front bumper. its 21 inch latest LED laser technology by Tobies  its much slimmer than the older version and its much brighter as well. 

also i have installed 2 amber lights inside front grill with some modification and 2 side shooters on the hood and 1 small light at rear roof.  

These are not expensive lights, but it does the job and im happy with performance. 

951001139_3jun2021-1_LI(2).jpg.45b4d33e88a20dfe1e22210cfce93fe6.jpg

13 minutes ago, Rizwanm2 said:

btw to light up all these im using 4 way remote control switch panel. so no drilling required in dash or bulky switch panel sticking out of dash.. 

Wow! This is incredibly helpful @Rizwanm2. Thanks so much for sharing. I could potentially mount a lightbar in this crevice too by cutting away the plate mount. Would just need to move the plate to the side or get one of those small ones 🤔

image.png.129d2d9cf8a63d379a31807358060a7d.png

Edited by munkybizness
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, munkybizness said:

Wow! This is incredibly helpful @Rizwanm2. Thanks so much for sharing. I could potentially mount a lightbar in this crevice too by cutting away the plate mount. Would just need to move the plate to the side or get one of those small ones 🤔

image.png.129d2d9cf8a63d379a31807358060a7d.png

I did the same but for me there was no cutting involved. There was number plate bracket i removed it completely and stick number plate to the bumper. 

this is the switch panel. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BLB7F3G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Edited by Rizwanm2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I would say mount it on top of bumper, as small opening in bumper is mostly needed to cool radiator or air cooled tranny cooler.

These slim LED bars can perfectly sit above and also little more far away from impact zone.

image.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

I would say mount it on top of bumper, as small opening in bumper is mostly needed to cool radiator or air cooled tranny cooler.

These slim LED bars can perfectly sit above and also little more far away from impact zone.

image.png

Got it! Would a straight lightbar be enough, or is it better to put in a curved bar to follow the curvature of the bumper?

• Like (+1) 2

Hi, for what it helps, this is what I did in my Y61:  replaced the stock fog lights with Baja Design Squadron Pro Round, with amber lenses to help cut through dust and fog (https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-pro-led-wide-cornering-amber.asp), and I replaced the headlight bulbs with LED lights.  This set up so far provides a good light source whilst driving.

I had four X-Vision flood lights mounted in the bumper, but have now removed them as I suspect they were blocking airflow into the cooling systems.  Two of those X-Vision were relocated as cornering lights, but I feel amber lights will work better.

In future I plan to have installed STP heat shield, which I understand doubles as sound proofing.

*** Edit: just added two pictures so you can see the lights.  The four smaller white lights in the bumper were removed for the same reason @Gaurav mentioned in his comment.

lights 1 copy.jpg

lights 2 copy.jpg

Edited by Mario Cornejo
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Rizwanm2 said:

awesome settings Rizwan , most what I like the small  3 running amber light on the middle ( my dream lights for tranquility 🤣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Hi, for what it helps, this is what I did in my Y61:  replaced the stock fog lights with Baja Design Squadron Pro Round, with amber lenses to help cut through dust and fog (https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-pro-led-wide-cornering-amber.asp), and I replaced the headlight bulbs with LED lights.  This set up so far provides a good light source whilst driving.

I had four X-Vision flood lights mounted in the bumper, but have now removed them as I suspect they were blocking airflow into the cooling systems.  Two of those X-Vision were relocated as cornering lights, but I feel amber lights will work better.

In future I plan to have installed STP heat shield, which I understand doubles as sound proofing.

Thanks @Mario Cornejo. I was also considering the setup that you've put on yours because the stock lighting on the SS is pretty rubbish. On a drive to Madam, I had to radio support from the convoy shepherd to help me because my highbeams were so abysmal, I could barely see beyond 50m. I am told that the Squadron Pros are also road legal as fog lights. Is this true or do you have to run them at a lower beam setting?

4 minutes ago, M.Seidam said:

awesome settings Rizwan , most what I like the small  3 running amber light on the middle ( my dream lights for tranquility 🤣

tranquility... 😎

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, munkybizness said:

I am told that the Squadron Pros are also road legal as fog lights. Is this true or do you have to run them at a lower beam setting?

I've been told the same and have seen already a couple more Y61s with Squadron Pros installed as fog lights.  In my case I've used them only while driving on sand, the spread and intensity are just right.

The headlamps is another story, the bulbs I installed deliver a clear white light, which I use only as low beam while on the road.  Check this chart from Philips https://www.philips.ae/c-e/au/car-lights/headlight-bulbs/led-headlight-bulb.  You can find the LED bulbs in any car accessory shop, Philips or any other brand, they will install them on the spot for you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1