•  
Advertise here

Y61 SS Upgrades Help & Recommendations

12 hours ago, munkybizness said:

Android Auto is reporting glitches across multiple devices and on-screen version of it is riddled with issues at the moment. I would recommend seeing if you have anybody with an iPhone to see if CarPlay also suffers the same connection issues. On the stock head unit, my Samsung S8 doesn't even connect. Google is addressing the Android Auto issues with builds into Android 12 next month but if you have a Samsung or any other device that is not a Pixel, it will take forever for those updates to reach your device, and will carry a bloated version with it.

On the lights, congratulations! I'll just slot myself between you and @Rizwanm2 in a drive and show me the way :D Those LP6s are hella bright. Was in front of a Ford Raptor with an array of 5 on the bumper. I felt like I was on the Sun 🤣🤣

Did a drive through Naif yesterday and spoke to a few Pioneer stockists. There are shortages and hopefully will be resolved in the next month so fingers crossed.

I have the same Sony headend unit and have been using it with Apple play for the last 4 months without any issue. Not the most savviest interface but no issues with connectivity etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

[Update] - Sound Upgrades

In the past every time I've used the term "sound upgrade", it's meant putting on an Akrapovic and waking up my neighbourhood for cold start runs 😛

Yesterday, I finally finished the interior sound upgrades on the SS. Here's the setup I've gone for:

Front: 2-way Hertz MPK 165.3 Pro
Rear: Coaxial Hertz CX 165
Amp: Hertz ML Power 4ch
Sub: Rockford Fosgate Punch 10inch

First Impressions:
The results are stratospheric but that's not saying much. The Clarion stock units on the Y61 are abysmal so anything is an upgrade - including my tone deaf singalongs to amplify the tunes playing. I've done about 3 hours of break-in already and I'm guessing that in 30 more hours of listening, the speakers should finally begin to break into the sound they will live with.

What works:
By adding the dedicated amp, my head unit is finally playing audio at a respectable 7 out of 30 on the volume knob. Three days ago, I had to listen to music at 26 with the "loudness" EQ setting for comparison. Adding the tweeters has also elevated the sound stage so its now at face-level rather than in the footwell. The sub is also finally adding the bass I need for Punjabi music and AC/DC. Yes, @Niki, I'm still a strange listener ;) My first test track was "Ramta Jogi". Since that test, a smile has been plastered on my face permanently...

What doesn't work:
1. Source Signal: The source signal is still coming out of a rubbish head-unit so just like an 8K TV, I know the bandwidth but if I feed it SD garbage, I get a very muddy output. Hopefully, the Pioneer head-unit I want will fix that. I decided to not add a dedicated DSP because an upgraded head-unit will do this job and because it will still be in line with a crappy head unit, I can't fix the signal quality out of the head-unit.

2. Subwoofer Placement: After looking at the size of the 12inch sub box, I was reminded of that shot from the first Fast & The Furious. And then the realisation of where all my recovery gear would go struck me. A 10inch box is still quite large and I will have to find a more permanent solution for placement when I do the overlander upgrades to the third row.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

@munkybiznessNice choice bro looking forward to hear the result, Btw Pioneer Jafza headquarter guys told me they are still not sure when the new shipments will come because the supply chain issue. So i already decided to install the Sony ax8000 anyway, ax5500 also not available everywhere, i think if you are focus on sound quality Sony is good.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Daniel Yang said:

@munkybiznessNice choice bro looking forward to hear the result, Btw Pioneer Jafza headquarter guys told me they are still not sure when the new shipments will come because the supply chain issue. So i already decided to install the Sony ax8000 anyway, ax5500 also not available everywhere, i think if you are focus on sound quality Sony is good.

The Sony AX8000 is a great choice. Congratulations! And of course, Sony makes excellent sound processors so no doubt yours will sound phenomenal. For me, the challenge is the form factor of the AX8000. It's too big for my needs. I want mine to sit flush within the console so I don't want to break the 7" screen size limit.

Thanks for getting an update from the Pioneer HQ here. I was trying to put a timeline down and the best estimate I've heard so far is December but even that could be delayed so I guess I'll just have to take everything I listen to with a pinch of salt :)

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Niki said:

@munkybizness many congrats on the upgrade!  that's a superb setup and no time wasted from discussion->install! 

Thanks @Niki - you were the critical catalyst ;)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, munkybizness said:

Thanks @Niki - you were the critical catalyst ;)

🤜🏽🤛🏽 I really love spending other people’s money :) …. I think it’s a no regret investment and so glad you enjoying it already!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

4 minutes ago, Niki said:

🤜🏽🤛🏽 I really love spending other people’s money :) …. I think it’s a no regret investment and so glad you enjoying it already!  

I take the same approach to getting people crunked. Fortunately, we'll never put it into action on Carnity drives 🤣

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/24/2021 at 2:29 PM, munkybizness said:

want to try and strap everything down - out of sight - if possible because I'm sure you've seen the lack of storage spaces in the front cabin - those cup holders don't take anything bigger than a small Masafi

@munkybizness one of the first mods on my Y61 was to fix the cup holder problem. 

This addition has been money very well spent.

https://www.mulletmods.com.au/products/patrol-front-cup-holders

Edited by Bravoecho
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bravoecho said:

@munkybizness one of the first mods on my Y61 was to fix the cup holder problem. 

This addition has been money very well spent.

https://www.mulletmods.com.au/products/patrol-front-cup-holders

Hi @Bravoecho  could pls share the pics of the cup holder in your car?

I am struggling to understand whether this will fit my 2019 model.

Thanks