•  
Advertise here

Y61 SS Upgrades Help & Recommendations

In my SS, they've moved the USB port and placed it directly into the head unit so it's all the way at the top so I need to rewire and change its position.

8 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Do you think that installing a DAC, instead of changing the head unit, and of course upgrade the speakers would be another option to consider?

A DAC is a great portable solution and I did consider it because I have a NuForce uDAC5 that I use for my headphones which I tried in the car but getting the power source sorted was a challenge as I had to run it through a cigarette lighter USB port.

As phase 1, I am leaning towards getting a 4ch amp + DSP, and upgraded speakers, while rerouting my head-unit's singular USB port and putting a splitter on it - one for a USB drive, and one for my phone to run CarPlay. I have to see if this will introduce latency into the setup or not because I can't find enough credible information about the processing power of the Clarion head-unit in the Y61. If that serves my needs, then I can give up on upgrading my head unit altogether until the tech improves even further. If this connection fails, then I'll hold out for a wireless-connection head-unit or one that has 2+ dedicated USB outs. 

I also want to try and strap everything down - out of sight - if possible because I'm sure you've seen the lack of storage spaces in the front cabin - those cup holders don't take anything bigger than a small Masafi 😛 Instead, they put all that space in the door bins ;) So if I can get a head-unit to do most of the heavy-lifting with processing, ports & wireless syncs, then it'll help me keep the cabin as spartan as it can be.

46 minutes ago, Christopher Assal said:

No need to give any lighting ideas as there is an array of info here! However as a fellow patrol owner I wouldn’t block the airflow to the vehicle. Winter will be fine but if your driving as much as I do now in the summer then you’ll notice it’ll be best not reduce the flow of air as on long hard drives the engine temp can increase, and you will need to take time out to reduce the temp as your driving.

You're absolutely right. Will definitely keep that advice at back of my mind! And nice to meet another Patrol owner :)

Currently, I'm very keen on trying @Mario Cornejo & @Niki's advice to change the headlamps, and seeing if the Squadron Pro fog lights does the trick. It would be the least invasive way and wouldn't even mess with that glorious 90s fascia 😍

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

@munkybizness for the best sound performance , do not forget to add sound deadening material on the inner sides of doors - which inturn make the door compartment in effect a sound box rather than a rattle box

Enjoy and have fun

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 minutes ago, Christopher Assal said:

@munkybiznessthey fit I’m getting them put in Thursday with a couple of Baja design spots also

Amazing! Please share photos of the final build. Are you putting the spots on the A-pillar as ditch shooters?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Christopher Assal said:

My instagram is Abu_Tizou the pics will be on there once it’s done I’m sure and the suspension is on. . Feel free to follow 

Awesome! I love the purity of your Y61 🤩

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@munkybizness I am currently using sony XAV-AX5500 on my subaru wrx, i would not recommend it, both andriod auto and weblink are useless,  the cable connection are very slow and frequently loss signal, i think the pioneer new mode with WIRELESS function may work better. Btw I am doing project with my y61 also, just finished all mechanical work last week, for lights i have choosed 2 x LP6(amber) mounted on the skid plate and Squadron Pro(amber)as fog light. looking forward to see your consumer report about headunit and sound system first😝, then i will start my journey.   

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Yang said:

@munkybizness I am currently using sony XAV-AX5500 on my subaru wrx, i would not recommend it, both andriod auto and weblink are useless,  the cable connection are very slow and frequently loss signal, i think the pioneer new mode with WIRELESS function may work better. Btw I am doing project with my y61 also, just finished all mechanical work last week, for lights i have choosed 2 x LP6(amber) mounted on the skid plate and Squadron Pro(amber)as fog light. looking forward to see your consumer report about headunit and sound system first😝, then i will start my journey.   

Android Auto is reporting glitches across multiple devices and on-screen version of it is riddled with issues at the moment. I would recommend seeing if you have anybody with an iPhone to see if CarPlay also suffers the same connection issues. On the stock head unit, my Samsung S8 doesn't even connect. Google is addressing the Android Auto issues with builds into Android 12 next month but if you have a Samsung or any other device that is not a Pixel, it will take forever for those updates to reach your device, and will carry a bloated version with it.

On the lights, congratulations! I'll just slot myself between you and @Rizwanm2 in a drive and show me the way :D Those LP6s are hella bright. Was in front of a Ford Raptor with an array of 5 on the bumper. I felt like I was on the Sun 🤣🤣

Did a drive through Naif yesterday and spoke to a few Pioneer stockists. There are shortages and hopefully will be resolved in the next month so fingers crossed.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, munkybizness said:

Android Auto is reporting glitches across multiple devices and on-screen version of it is riddled with issues at the moment. I would recommend seeing if you have anybody with an iPhone to see if CarPlay also suffers the same connection issues. On the stock head unit, my Samsung S8 doesn't even connect. Google is addressing the Android Auto issues with builds into Android 12 next month but if you have a Samsung or any other device that is not a Pixel, it will take forever for those updates to reach your device, and will carry a bloated version with it.

On the lights, congratulations! I'll just slot myself between you and @Rizwanm2 in a drive and show me the way :D Those LP6s are hella bright. Was in front of a Ford Raptor with an array of 5 on the bumper. I felt like I was on the Sun 🤣🤣

Did a drive through Naif yesterday and spoke to a few Pioneer stockists. There are shortages and hopefully will be resolved in the next month so fingers crossed.

I am using S20, will try someone's iPhone and let u know. I personally think the round design lights are better looking than light bars on Y61‘s classic face.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

6 hours ago, Daniel Yang said:

round design lights are better looking

💯 - this is exactly why I'm waiting out to only put round spots on the front bumper!

• Totally Agree (+2) 1