•  
Advertise here

I am the Newbie one…

Felix Obst

Welcome to the club @Felix Obst!

Sorry to hear about your roll over but glad to see you decided to be back on the sands!

At Carnity club I have never concerned about safety, as safety is always well taken care of by drive leaders and support team members. With Carinity, I am sure you will regain you confidence soon to conquer the Iftar bowl and perhaps the super bowl too!

Look forward to driving with you one day!

• Like (+1) 6

Welcome @Felix Obst you are never gonna leave sand now.

We have an old saying that a guy who comes back after an incident (esp roll-over), will never leave off-roading.

Sorry to hear about your experience but glad that you and your boys were fine. Most likely for those age of boys, it must be fun and they might be asking you when we are doing the same again.....lol. I have 7 YO and all he asks is about stunts, drifts, jumps, and all crazy stuff that we avoid.

Good to read that you realize what went wrong, as that's the first step towards safer offroading. And the second thing I like when you said - started seeing the dangerous situations everywhere - means you have really understood the mother nature, law of physics, momentum, and gravity with one crash course.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi Felix,

Nice to know about you and your experience.

My name is Bhanu Prakash and with construction background. I am cycling enthusiast and lately picked up Badminton which has become my second passion.

I am an Absolute Newbie and will be part of your convoy.I  am hoping that this is going to be a game changer for me as i am not only interested in adventure but also will give me the chance to learn about by car. 

I have twin girls who will be thrilled to come to the desert once i am into the drives. 

Hoping for best to all.

catch you on the 1st drive.

20170505_054923_Original.jpg.b8d99749e8ac90a2aeac574911073311.jpg

• Like (+1) 7

Hi Felix,

I am certainly glad you are OK. 

I joined only 2 months ago and I am only at my 3rd Newbie drive.

In addition, I took a couple of courses and those were real fun. During the courses I could feel the culture of this club is all about safety first.

During my first 3 drives, the Marshal cemented the feeling demonstrating nothing is more important than everyone safety. 

No one is pushing you and just like when you hike in the mountains, the group pace is defined by the slowest person without making anyone feel inadequate of guilty. 

I found in Carnity a fantastic environment to learn and grow, everyone at her own pace. 

I am now looking forward to learn form you as I am sure you have seen a few….

Cheers

Enrico 

• Like (+1) 6

17 hours ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

Welcome to the club @Felix Obst!

Sorry to hear about your roll over but glad to see you decided to be back on the sands!

At Carnity club I have never concerned about safety, as safety is always well taken care of by drive leaders and support team members. With Carinity, I am sure you will regain you confidence soon to conquer the Iftar bowl and perhaps the super bowl too!

Look forward to driving with you one day!

Thx Charlie, I'm eager to learn and adopt. I'm looking forward to nice drives and lots of fun! Thank you for the nice words! 

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Welcome @Felix Obst you are never gonna leave sand now.

We have an old saying that a guy who comes back after an incident (esp roll-over), will never leave off-roading.

Sorry to hear about your experience but glad that you and your boys were fine. Most likely for those age of boys, it must be fun and they might be asking you when we are doing the same again.....lol. I have 7 YO and all he asks is about stunts, drifts, jumps, and all crazy stuff that we avoid.

Good to read that you realize what went wrong, as that's the first step towards safer offroading. And the second thing I like when you said - started seeing the dangerous situations everywhere - means you have really understood the mother nature, law of physics, momentum, and gravity with one crash course.

Hi Gaurav, 

thank you for the warm welcome. I really love off-roading that's why I was back in desert two weeks later to fight the "fear" and this was probably the best decision. It was hard for the children, took them longer and they played roll-over with their toy rubicons for a long time. 

I did a long analysis tried to remember as much as possible. I had the perfect set up for the desert and it was easy for me to keep up with an expertise group. But the point in time where the set-up was at at the limit there was no chance for me as beginner to master the situation. I know what went wrong and I spent some ours to re-program my head and do the right thing because I did it always wrong before the crash...as you said I did not care that much about physics, etc because just watching the pros everything just looked easy. 

Looking forward to meet you soon

17 hours ago, topgear said:

Welcome to the club @Felix Obst 

I regularly drive with my son strapped in the backseat. You and your boys are the testimony of the importance of being properly strapped in. Happy off-roading

Thank you, well said I'm an even bigger fan of child seats they held them in their position. One more thing I can tell all the daddy's out there. Spend some extra time to fix the recovery gear and compressor in the trunk. Might be annoying but the compressor was flying through the car destroying the back windows not sure what would have happened if it had hit the boys heads...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

16 hours ago, BHANU PRAKASH VISHWANATH said:

Hi Felix,

Nice to know about you and your experience.

My name is Bhanu Prakash and with construction background. I am cycling enthusiast and lately picked up Badminton which has become my second passion.

I am an Absolute Newbie and will be part of your convoy.I  am hoping that this is going to be a game changer for me as i am not only interested in adventure but also will give me the chance to learn about by car. 

I have twin girls who will be thrilled to come to the desert once i am into the drives. 

Hoping for best to all.

catch you on the 1st drive.

20170505_054923_Original.jpg.b8d99749e8ac90a2aeac574911073311.jpg

Thank you looking forward to meet you on the drive. I'm happy to share all my experience how not to do it. I'm sure your children will fall in love with the desert, too. It is the highlight of the week for my boys and they are asking every day if we will go on a ride! see you soon - I'm sure you will love it! 

15 hours ago, Enrico Biscaro said:

Hi Felix,

I am certainly glad you are OK. 

I joined only 2 months ago and I am only at my 3rd Newbie drive.

In addition, I took a couple of courses and those were real fun. During the courses I could feel the culture of this club is all about safety first.

During my first 3 drives, the Marshal cemented the feeling demonstrating nothing is more important than everyone safety. 

No one is pushing you and just like when you hike in the mountains, the group pace is defined by the slowest person without making anyone feel inadequate of guilty. 

I found in Carnity a fantastic environment to learn and grow, everyone at her own pace. 

I am now looking forward to learn form you as I am sure you have seen a few….

Cheers

Enrico 

Hi Enrico, 

this is exactly what I was looking for. You have to learn it right from the beginning, once it is in the DNA its hard to re-train. I tried it by myself but I want to reach the next level. 

Looking forward to meet you in the sand! 

• Like (+1) 2

welcome @Felix Obst.  I am naturally an apprehensive driver (not into extreme sports or challenges, with it taking me 10years of living in Dubai to take up this hobby) and what I valued most about Carnity's approach and specifically their marshals', there is never any pressure to perform a climb if not comfortable!  I have sat out the 'fun' whilst others have had their time doing these climbs and only attempted when I have a sense of confidence!  So as you join the club, you take your time building your confidence back and know there is no judgement or expectation other than that which you want to put on yourself. 

@Gaurav mentioned the laws of nature ... i will add what is also expected is that you must leave ego's at home !  no matter your car, your previous history off road, your Carnity rank - everyone can get stuck (so help out and be patient) and never to push or demand of others what you can or want to do in your car!  It is humbling being part of convoys where our most experience drivers join newbie/fewbie rides just to support ... with Marshalls spending more time with shovels than driving to support and educate! 

Look forward to joining a drive with you soon and have fun as you restart this hobby! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5