•  
Advertise here

Desert Adjacent Completely Absolute Newbie

Neil Jarman

First of all, thanks to @Felix Obst as without having seen his post, I wouldn't have realised that this part of the forum was here.

His everyone. I'm Neil, and it's very nice to be here.

I've been in the region since 2014 but only arrived in Dubai in January after three year stints in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. During those six years, I drove a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which I'd bought to be able to go off road but never did but sold before I came back to the UAE but now wish I hadn't! The reason being that I live in Mira Oasis with my two rescue pups, Frankie and Zoya, who love chasing each other in the dunes at the end of the road but I'd like to be able to take them further into the desert  and camp come the winter. 

Two months ago I bought my Jeep Wrangler, the 1995 YJ model which was lovingly maintained and I think restored by the previous owner who also converted it from an automatic to a manual. Although I learned to drive in a manual car in the UK back in the 1980s, and had always driven manuals right up until the aforementioned Trailhawk, driving the Jeep has has taken some getting used to as well having to drive at a snail's pace over speed bumps. I'm also not very mechanically minded. My brain just doesn't seem to work that way but still I'd like to be better and know what all of the switches do and the tools are for. 

I'm looking forward to joining this Friday's group led by @Vanessa8580 but rest assured I'll be leaving the girls at home this time around. 

IMG_4205.jpeg

IMG_4269.jpeg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Welcome @Neil Jarman glad to see YJ around, one of the best production legend. I heard from a friend that YJ prices are increasing significantly now.

Being in Mira with two pups you will be soon friends with @Vanessa8580 and @Frederic

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

5 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

That's a beautiful looking YJ. Love the color. With a manual transmission, you are a very rare breed.

Look forward to meeting up on the sand.

I think he has also beaten up your great granny record...!

• Haha (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Neil Jarman said:

I'm not quite that old just yet 

It's not about you buddy. It's about your 1995 model YJ (beauty) as Sri drives 97 XJ - great granny.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

@Gaurav how is it handled? Are most of you use manually or automatic shifting? I prefer manual gear changing even with an automatic transmission during drives. Is this recommended? (if there is a thread already please let me know...still learning)

Edited by Felix Obst

1 hour ago, Felix Obst said:

@Gaurav how is it handled? Are most of you use manually or automatic shifting? I prefer manual gear changing even with an automatic transmission during drives. Is this recommended? (if there is a thread already please let me know...still learning)

I remember once posted a thread regarding automatic vs manual in offroad drive . It might be of some help 😉

• Thanks (+1) 1