•  

Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Solar Park: Left or Right?? - Dubai - 11 Sep 2021

Ale Vallecchi

Dear Desertnauts.

A couple of very short notes, prior to this Saturday's Left or Right drive.

First, there is still 2 open spots in the drive roster: anyone who feels like joining (@Naim Aoun ??) is welcome.

Secondly, and more importantly, given the list of members joining the drive, I feel I should turn LEFT, and head from Solar Park to Lisaili, on a the slightly more challenging terrain.

Having said this, I welcome @I.M.Shousha إسلام أبوشوشة, @Alexanderrr, @Bernard Kalaani, @Pieter Potgieter, @Br. San, @Santoso Marjuki, @Fabien Monleau, @munkybizness, @Roy Armale, @Dodi Syahdar and @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ, welcome to the drive.

I'll be back tomorrow with the final convoy order. In the meantime, enjoy your end of the week.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

9 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

@Roy ArmaleI added to the drive. Thanks

No worries @varunmehndiratta. We have room. Thanks

Hi @Naim Aoun. There is still 1 spot in the drive, if you feel like taking it. Thanks. 

Sorry Ale, and thanks for the invite, but won't be able to make it.  Enjoy.   

Hoping for a fewbie weekday ride.. Only the Fewbie plus get to have fun :(

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear Desertnauts.

First, there is still 2 open spots in the drive roster: anyone who feels like joining (@Naim Aoun ??) is welcome.

Secondly, and more importantly, given the list of members joining the drive, I feel I should turn LEFT, and head from Solar Park to Lisaili, on a the slightly more challenging terrain.

Having said this, I welcome @I.M.Shousha إسلام أبوشوشة, @Alexanderrr, @Bernard Kalaani, @Pieter Potgieter, @Br. San, @Santoso Marjuki, @Fabien Monleau, @munkybizness, @Roy Armale, @Dodi Syahdar and @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ, welcome to the drive.

I'll be back tomorrow with the final convoy order. In the meantime, enjoy your end of the week.

Hi Ale @Ale Vallecchi I know it is last minute, is there any chance to join your drive tomorrow morning. thanks

1 hour ago, Anoop Nair said:

Hi Ale @Ale Vallecchi I know it is last minute, is there any chance to join your drive tomorrow morning. thanks

Hi @Anoop Nair. No problem. I will add you to the drive. Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/9/2021 at 7:33 PM, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear Desertnauts.

Hi Ale, unfortunately, I won’t be able to join you tomorrow. I am very sorry for this last minute drop off. Enjoy and I hope to see you next weekend 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Dear Desertnauts

As promised, tomorrow we'll drive in the following order:

@I.M.Shousha إسلام أبوشوشة as Second Lead

@Alexanderrr at #3

@Bernard Kalaani #4

@Pieter Potgieter as #5

@MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ will Center the convoy

@Santoso Marjuki at #7

@Anoop Nair will be #8

@munkybizness at #9, and 

@Dodi Syahdar will Sweep.

Upon reaching the meeting point, on the.... left of the tarmac (pointing in the right direction) road taking from Qudra's Last Exit to Solar Park, please tune into Carnity Channel #1 (446.006).

Please reach the meeting point a little earlier than 6:00 AM, so we may depart as soon as possible, on the way to Lisaili...and beyond.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow morning. Have a great Friday night.

Solar Park: Left or Right? - Drive Report

I know you are tired, but come, this is the way - Rumi

Spectacular drive, a notch up from Newbie Level, both in terms of skills as well as duration. As planned, given the quality of the convoy, we turned left from Solar Park, and moved into Lisaili's cordons. Unplanned were both the first change of direction toward Murqab, as well as the second and most unexpected dash from Murqab back to Lisaili, where we exited.

The convoy, arranged in a "Senior-Junior" fashion, with each Newbie being led (and tutored, in terms of lines of approach, momentum, and exit trajectories) by a Fewbie or above, warmed up from the easier maneuvers to the more advanced techniques, until managing to progress smoothly and continuously throughout the last segment of the drive, criss-crossing and side-sloping any dune we came across. The most difficult part of the drive proved to be the technical area in the middle of Lisaili's cordons, where soft sand pockets, sharp straight crossings and little room to move, caused almost unavoidable stucks and lengthy recoveries. Overall convoy discipline was good, including the few times that premature exits from ridges split the convoy.

Upon reaching Lisaili's sabkhas after 2:10 hrs of driving, we diverted toward Murqab, for our first extension of the drive. After only another 1:10 hr of driving, just outside of Murqab's village, the convoy chose to make a last dash, back toward Lisaili. This is when all the work done so far during the drive paid off, and all drivers came together to perform a blitz to Lisaili worthy of the often cited (by me) Long Range Desert Group. Only 50 minutes of impeccable driving, on very bright white sand and technical terrain, were needed to reach the long range dunes next to the pylon track, where the last acrobatics were performed, before a well earned exit.

All members are worthy of the same praise: great driving by @I.M.Shousha إسلام أبوشوشة (thanks for the safe Second Lead), @Alexanderrr, @Bernard Kalaani, @Pieter Potgieter, @Santoso Marjuki, @Anoop Nair and @munkybizness.  Special thanks to @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ for supporting from the center, and to @Dodi Syahdar for sweeping all to safety. 

The drive covered 77 Km, in 3:02 hours of driving, at an average moving speed of 25 Km/h.

Thanks to all for the great participation, and see you soon in the sand.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Sad (0) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use