•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Murquab - Dubai - 10 Sep 2021

Wrangeld

18 hours ago, Mehmet Volga said:

Special callouts to our fresh fewbies @Adam James and @Jason Grima. Unbelievable performance at the tail of such a convoy! Bravo!

@Mehmet Volga you are absolutely right - I was able to watch over both from the back and knowing at the end this was actually there first full FB drive - even more impressive!  Every refusal was self recovered and I'll share some further feedback:

@Adam James initially you had a few minor refusals and what I could see, this was due to 'easing' off the throttle as you climbed to cross a dune (maybe you didn't want to carry to much speed once at the top which is natural) = Immediate lost momentum..  That said as the drive went on - not a single further refusal and i could see you really used the throttle further up each climb and easing off at the right time!  Throttle management practice for 4 hours is going to help you massively for your next drives.  (ps. stick to the FJ for these drives and keep your pinup defender for the overlanding :) ... )

@Jason Grima due to the line you took and limited momentum climbing, it meant you couldn't make the ridge of a few dunes.  Perfect was how you stopped at the moment you felt you had missed the chance to make the ridge, not forcing your car up (the learnings from your first pop out).  this meant you never fishtailed, you had an easier self recovery option and no risk of a further pop-out.  To correct this, try and take a higher line up a dune you want to cross so as you approach the ridge, you have natural momentum to ride it and cross.  This is made harder further back in a convoy as tracks are churned however with a bit of extra momentum its def possible.  Don't change how you reacted as that's textbook!

Both of you will keep hearing the importance of 'momentum', 'throttle management', 'steering control' and 'lines to drive' - the drive yesterday was a 4 hour master class on building on these skills and you both were 'brilliant' .. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Really cannot stress how much I enjoy reading this knowledge sharing on this forum. Because that's what this club is all about. I cannot see the specifics of every driver while I am leading at the front, no matter how hard I try so more experienced drivers like Niki sharing such detailed and constructive feedback is invaluable. For sure, it's one of the key values of having more experienced drivers on lower rated drives. 

Sharing really is caring. I can tell you from my own experience that the more I share and give, the more I learn. Hoping to re-create this exact convoy some time soon. It was a pleasure and a privilege. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

On 9/10/2021 at 3:20 PM, Warren Flay said:

Special mention to @Alex Raptorfor chiselling the tops off of all of the mountains for me, it was like following a road roller and made my Friday drive a Sunday drive!

So now we have a special job for bigger trucks....! Nice comparison.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

Sharing really is caring. I can tell you from my own experience that the more I share and give, the more I learn

Absolutely. Gold and true !

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use