Advertise here

Nissan Patrol Y61 Tire Upgrades Help & Recommendations

Adding a new upgrade item to the list - All Terrain Tires/Tyres

So far I've narrowed it down to these choices:

1. Arroyo - TamaRock AT
  2. Yokohama - Geolandar AT G015
  3. BF Goodrich - All Terrain T/O KO2
  4. Cooper - Discoverer AT3 4S

As far as sizes go, my current stocks are 265/70/R16. So i'm thinking that I should keep the same size unless the recommendation is to go up to 275s but the general consensus I've read in the forum thread by @Frederic& @Gauravis that wider tyres don't really help out too much.

Rims
Furthermore, when it comes to rims, are beadlocks really that much better? I see lots of rides rocking them. Granted some of them just have "bead-looks" and don't really offer much benefit in that space.

• Like (+1) 2

I have seen a lot of Marshalls and senior members driving on Geolandar.  I am sure they are great tyres for the sand and highway because the compound would be the softest amongst all the 4 options. 

I am on Discoverer AT3 and I have been enjoying them for the past 3 years, compared to the stock tyres which were Grand Trek. On my AT3, I had 1 pop-out but it was due to panic and sudden left and right turn when I failed to cross a ridge and went into a soft patch of sand. The AT 3 are easy to balance and align and offer a pretty comfortable ride on the highway, not much difference compared to the stock Grand Trek. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Here are my vote and feedback based on usage

1. Arroyo - TamaRock AT - (Never heard or tried, yet).
  2. Yokohama - Geolandar AT G015 - (One of the best off-road tire I've found).
  3. BF Goodrich - All Terrain T/O KO2 - (Too heavy and noisy, good for rock, not ideal for sand due to weight).
  4. Cooper - Discoverer AT3 4S - (Tried Discoverer AT (not AT3) - not bad but lost tread chunk after a year and in wadis.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I drive , for over a year , on Go15 AT 275/70/16 brilliant on sand , smooth and quiet on road, not a single issue so far .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hi - Geolandar went out of stock for a while so I chose Coopers Disco. AT3 4S.  In my opinion, these are heavy tires and I could feel the change.

Wheels: I installed new rims with bead locks, with a positive outcome of being able to experiment with low pressures.  Bead locks, I hear, reduce the probability of pop-outs.

If you change to tires bulkier than the Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts then check they don't rub much of the fender inner liner.  My recommendation is you look at suspension (springs, shocks and bump stops), wheels and tires as a whole system.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mario Cornejo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Christopher Assal has a set of the new Michelin ATs on his SS.  Worthy addition to your list! 

I have read the AT3 4S may be slightly lighter than the G015s (do a quick check online for your size) - these two are seemingly the most popular in our club - I have the G015 and love them (off and on road).  Bead locks give that added security however are not essential - if you have the budget and/or want to change the look of your rims then why not… else hold out and enjoy the ATs on stock. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hi 

Im running with the Michelin LTX Force not really tested that much in the region , but has great Australian reviews. When I was less experienced @Gauravcommented  on them being very good. Since then I have driven a lot in them on and off the road and have a very high opinion of them.

On road:

They are quiet do not feel like an off-road tire / all terrain tire with fantastic grip in the rain and also dry dusty roads. I feel very safe with them at any speed. Really remarkable for an AT tire.

Off road:

I run the psi at 10.5 when off roading and yet to have had a pop out, they have a high soft side wall which provides excellent grip and surface area in the sand and honestly I have no traction issues in the slightest. I would not run with any other tire now for and all rounder I feel safe and happy on them on and off the road. Another benefit is that they are a lightweight also , and in tests have proven to keep the tread over excellent mileage.

My only concern has been on our wadi adventures in Hatta due to the soft side wall and potential punctures but here I run the tire at 18-20 psi to combat this.

No one seems to have mentioned them here but I would highly recommend.

If you want a big gnarly looking cumbersome off road tire and are concerned on looks I wouldn’t choose these. In all honesty though they are a great AT tire that most importantly due a job and allow me to feel safe while doing it.

Oh I drive on a 275/70/16 don’t go larger on the tire size 275 is perfect for our car. This experience I take from Avid Patrol drivers .  285 is suited for too the two door patrol , but on the 16 inch patrol rims 275 are perfect and provide a great and sufficient tread pattern . Unless of course you are turning your patrol into a monster truck 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Totally agree with @Christopher Assal, I didn't mention them as they were not in the initial list.

I have tried LTX for 2+ year and was totally happy. I stopped mentioning LTX as they have been discontinued for over 10 years and forcefully replaced with Primacy, which is good but an HT tire with least possibility of self-recovery in sand.

Recently Michelin bought LTX force back again, and knowing Michelin and LTX (past experience) I was sure it will be worth every penny (as they are quite expensive than Geo).

• Like (+1) 3

No Gaurav is right here, not the cheapest really but good none the less. It’s nice to have an AT tire that feels safe on road , as not sure about you but my car is an everyday drive as well as off road vehicle

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 minutes ago, Christopher Assal said:

No Gaurav is right here, not the cheapest really but good none the less. It’s nice to have an AT tire that feels safe on road , as not sure about you but my car is an everyday drive as well as off road vehicle

I know LTX force is here now, what I meant is from 2010 - 2020 (almost) Michelin stopped LTX after LTX2. Recently they have brought this LTX force again in UAE market.

I have had LTX from 2007-2008 on my daily driven LC and love them on road. Then bought again LTX2 for SWB patrol from 2008-2009.

• Like (+1) 1