•  
Advertise here

Nissan Patrol Y61 Tire Upgrades Help & Recommendations

Final thought - currently running 275/65/R17 so would you folks recommend an upgrade to 285/65/R17 or 275/70/R17?

Did a side-by-side comparison and while the 275/70 offers a minutely better ~0.29" increase in clearance due to sidewall height increase, the 285/65 offers a ~0.39" increase in width.

image.png.1ecb72473ea81e83b1460a10ef7b2430.png

These numbers seem so small that I've been breaking my head over this for the past week, and don't know which to prioritize. Any guidance here would be amazing!

• Like (+1) 1

I would recommend the 275/70/R17 because at the same deflated pressure, more sidewall would give a better footprint than more width . And yes, try to put in the Yokohama as a first choice. Though it will not win in a beauty contest in comparison to a BFG, but you would appreciate the lighter tyre much more as you go up the ranks. 

P.S. Am glad to add to the confusion 😜

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

I would recommend the 275/70/R17 because at the same deflated pressure, more sidewall would give a better footprint than more width . And yes, try to put in the Yokohama as a first choice. Though it will not win in a beauty contest in comparison to a BFG, but you would appreciate the lighter tyre much more as you go up the ranks. 

P.S. Am glad to add to the confusion 😜

4 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

I've personally moved from 275/70 R17 to 285/70 R18 and found basically no difference due to the size

This is not confusing at all! Rather, thank you for clearing it up ☺️

I don't like the BFG profile but much prefer the cleaner look of the Geolandars or the LTX Force. It's between those two at the moment. Not doing drives this weekend so will sneak out to get one of those pairs on!

Thank you gents 🙏🙏

• Like (+1) 1

After looking far and wide for the LTX Force (and comparing costs), I finally pulled the trigger on the Yokohama Geolandar GO15s running the same profile as my H/Ts at 275/65/R17.

@PaoloMaraziti, @Gaurav, @Christopher Assal, @M.Seidam, @Niki, @topgear, @Mario Cornejo and @Srikumar - thank you all for your valuable advice, and for deliberating with me through to my decision. Much appreciated 🙏🙏

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

@munkybizness this is great news and congrats!  Pls do make sure to run in the new tires and get a good few trips on tarmac before hitting the dunes this weekend if possible…!  Look forward to hearing your experience with these and hope it matches our endorsement 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Niki said:

Pls do make sure to run in the new tires and get a good few trips on tarmac

Thank you! Will do!!

12 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

Great choice @munkybizness, looking forward to meeting you again in the sand (I think we actually we might on Sat) 

Absolutely! That beautiful dusky FJC is a sight to behold 😍

• Like (+1) 1

This is quite an informative thread! I need to change tires on my 2013 y62 as well. I'm required to get high profile tyres to maintain my intermediate status. 

Currently I'm running 275/60R20 tires. Please bear with my ignorance as I'm building my knowledge about tires. 

Would I be able to purchase high profile tyres for my existing rims? I understand from the thread that geolanders are the way to go. Ideally I would like to stick with my existing rims. 

7 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

I think @Lorenzo Candelpergher for his old car made a similar transition but switched to smaller rims which would be the recommendation I’d also expect, Lorenzo ?

I had 275/60R20 and switched to 285/70R18, which have almost the same external diameter. I chose Kumho Road Venture AT51 A/T tyres and progressively got used to deflating down to 11-12 psi.

Very happy about their performance: very few further pop-outs and much better traction.

• Like (+1) 2

Thank you very much @Lorenzo Candelpergherso that means I need to change the rims. I will start looking for those. Any leads where I should look? @Srikumarrecomended hitting the scrap yards for original ones. 

• Like (+1) 1