•  

Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Lehbab to Lisaili - Dubai - 17 Sep 2021

Wrangeld

Post Drive Report

A delayed and then delayed a bit more start meant we suffered from even softer sand than usual in an area reknowned for soft sand. 

This was not an easy newbie drive, but then I preadvised that it would be a challenge - and it was. This was a technical drive. The dunes are not large, but do require finesse and care. The technical dunes are not that short or challenging, but they are very very soft. There are not a lot of play areas, requiring everyone to remain at the top of their game throughout the drive. 

In my view we did not have a high number of refusals or stucks taking the terrain into account, the length of the convoy and the fact that concentration was already impacted by the delayed (twice) start. 

The newer the newbie today, the more impressive your performance - truly. We did not have any criss crossing, or ridge riding, or any real slide sloping. What we had was large sections of the drive where everyone had to focus on following a complicated route, cross a lot of dunes straight over and rise to the challenge of driving along the top of the dunes. 

@Alex Raptor you pretty much saved the day. Popouts handled in record time, and epic winch manouvre, sorting out all the refusals along the way. Your baptism of fire on your deserved promotion. 

@Jeepie wonderful to have you back in the sand, calmly sorting out everyone at the back of the convoy.

@Alain Canivet-Abikhalil perfect 2nd lead. Avoided all the pit and pratfalls that I might have made.  

@Ramandbx sorry you got locked out buddy. @Senthil Kumar hope the grinding noise gets sorted. 

Some absolute massive additional kudos points to mention: Perfect convoy discipline and great radio usage today. Thanks everyone. It makes it so much easier when everyone complies. Good team work. Thanks for supporting where needed. 

There is a fewbie drive in this area tomorrow. That says all the newbies need to know about the standard today. We don't normally take newbies here. 

See you soon in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Thank you @Wrangeld that was a very nice drive.
Very eventful from the start... proof that anything can happen in the desert.

The terrain of Lehbab is beautiful and challenging, and the convoy did pretty well all along.
Great support from @Alex Raptor and @Jeepie as always !

Sometimes people ask me why I still go to Fewbie drives... Going to Fewbie drives is a reminder of the importance of being prepared and concentrated. It is also a reminder of the steps that you need to cross and the learnings you had all the way. Gravity and momentum, reading the dunes and the sand, knowing your car, testing your capabilities...

Going to Fewbie drives is also a reminder that in the desert you need to be humble and patient. Everybody gets stuck, no matter your level. But with the advice of the Carnity crew you learn to handle all different situations.
It is also the chance to meet new people, and lend a hand whenever it is needed, because that is the spirit of this community.

Well done evreyone, have a good week and hope to see you all very soon in the sand !
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

9 hours ago, Alain Canivet-Abikhalil said:
Thank you @Wrangeld
Sometimes people ask me why I still go to Fewbie drives... Going to Fewbie drives is a reminder of the importance of being prepared and concentrated. It is also a reminder of the steps that you need to cross and the learnings you had all the way. Gravity and momentum, reading the dunes and the sand, knowing your car, testing your capabilities...

Going to Fewbie drives is also a reminder that in the desert you need to be humble and patient. Everybody gets stuck, no matter your level. But with the advice of the Carnity crew you learn to handle all different situations.
It is also the chance to meet new people, and lend a hand whenever it is needed, because that is the spirit of this community.

So glad you brought this up @Alain Canivet-Abikhalil . Just because you can drive an IM does not mean you must, or should drive at IM. 

We are a community. 

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks @Wrangeld for a very challenging drive, its was pretty difficult at a lot of spots with very soft sand and super challenging. Learned more on this drive than I have in a while which was great.

Thanks @Alain Canivet-Abikhalilfor your help and your shovel and to @Alex Raptor and @Jeepie for your support also. Looking forward to the next drive. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Larry Cadden said:

Thanks @Wrangeld for a very challenging drive, its was pretty difficult at a lot of spots with very soft sand and super challenging. Learned more on this drive than I have in a while which was great.

Thanks @Alain Canivet-Abikhalilfor your help and your shovel and to @Alex Raptor and @Jeepie for your support also. Looking forward to the next drive. 

Thanks for the feedback @Larry Cadden - I did warn in advance that beautiful though this area is, it's challenging. Funnily enough, it's probably easier if you drive in a Fewbie or Fewbie Plus around here, because it's easier to navigate this type of soft dune a little more easily when the terminal speed is higher. 

For me, however, the best accolade I think I can have is that you felt it was a good learning experience. We all enjoy flowing non stop drives, but once in a while a 'challenge' drive like this can really help for what is to come in the future. 

• Like (+1) 3

Thank you @Wrangeld for an Epic experience. It was my second drive with Carnity and I loved the challenge.

It definitely felt like an anti climax in the start with the key issue and the initial stuck but @Alex Raptor saved the day and made me jealous of his fancy equipment. 😀

@Alain Canivet-Abikhalil Great to know you and your experiences. Hope to catch you on some other drives!

Thanks to everyone else on the drive and being 3rd in Convoy means less interactions with those behind and being able grab those few moments to chat during stucks.

• Like (+1) 4

A bit late to the party here, went straight off to a lovely weekend away. Great drive with some challenges to overcome, tricky winching manoeuvre, but I love all these challenges. Special mention to @eldose baby for a fantastic self recovery on a super soft top, just shows you that the slightest of traction can be maximised to turn into full motion, a lesson for seniors and juniors alike. Pleasure driving with you all and look forward to the next one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

16 minutes ago, Alex Raptor said:

A bit late to the party here, went straight off to a lovely weekend away. Great drive with some challenges to overcome, tricky winching manoeuvre, but I love all these challenges. Special mention to @eldose baby for a fantastic self recovery on a super soft top, just shows you that the slightest of traction can be maximised to turn into full motion, a lesson for seniors and juniors alike. Pleasure driving with you all and look forward to the next one. 

Thanks @Alex Raptor, thanks all of you. It was a challenging but exciting ride and looking forward for more . 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use