•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Pink Rock - Sharjah - 17 Sep 2021

Janarthan

Hello All, 

Good evening, refer to below convoy list for tomorrow drive and we will use channel 5 for our communication.

@TT_Dubai @Enrico Biscaro @Hilal Sharafudeen @Niki @Naim Aoun @John Vanderbleek @Gilbert Khalil @Abdul Rafay-S @Foxtrot Oscar

image.png.5a13648e0486cc914d8a05dcb89b291b.png

Cheers

J

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi @Janarthan- can I just confirm the radio frequency for channel 5. It's the first time I am using this band and my frequency setting on my Baofeng (programmed by the nice lady in Dragon Mart) is 462.887. I just cross checked with the Carnity Radio guide (the new 10 channel one) which says band 5 should be 446.106. Should we be using 446.106? Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TT_Dubai said:

Hi @Janarthan- can I just confirm the radio frequency for channel 5. It's the first time I am using this band and my frequency setting on my Baofeng (programmed by the nice lady in Dragon Mart) is 462.887. I just cross checked with the Carnity Radio guide (the new 10 channel one) which says band 5 should be 446.106. Should we be using 446.106? Thanks

That’s right @TT_Dubai, we will be using the same channel. 

• Like (+1) 2

@Janarthan; i don't know how it happened but it seems I am RSVPed for 2 rides tomorrow.   Obviously I can't 2 both :) I will have to get out of this one and will join @Mehmet Volga in Lisaili.  I am sorry about the confusion. I hope someone WListed will grab it.  Sorry again.  Nothing personal BTW;  just that Lisaili is only 35 minutes away; i can sleep few minutes more. 

12 hours ago, Janarthan said:

Hello All, 

Good evening, refer to below convoy list for tomorrow drive and we will use channel 5 for our communication.

@TT_Dubai @Enrico Biscaro @Hilal Sharafudeen @Niki @Naim Aoun @John Vanderbleek @Gilbert Khalil @Abdul Rafay-S @Foxtrot Oscar

image.png.5a13648e0486cc914d8a05dcb89b291b.png

Cheers

J

Sorry guys...will not make it this morning. Enjoy the drive.

Thank you so much @Janarthanfor the wonderful drive this morning! It was the perfect way to break my sand sabbatical.

It was great to see some familiar faces out there too, @Abdul Rafay-S throwing that yellow peril about like a boss, I bet your dad was bricking it haha, we had @TT_Dubaidoing what he does, executing the perfect 2nd lead as @Janarthantook the hits for us and rerouted so we'd all stay safe and then @Nikiearning his 'support' stripes, digging, tugging and calmly and efficiently guiding everyone who had a refusal or stuck.

It was nice to see some new faces too, @Enrico Biscaro and @Hilal Sharafudeen who had fantastic drives in their first fewbie outing and @Gilbert Khalilwho drove impressively with a great self recovery at the end.

Thanks for being a great convoy! So much fun! And it's nice sitting at the back because I get to relax and watch you all. 🤩

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 4

Great sunrise drive from 2nd December cafe ending up at Big Red. Nice tight group and the entire morning was smooth. We had a fair share of climbs, nice elevation changes and criss crossing on some tech dunes. Once the drive racheted up towards the end we had a couple of refusals, a crest, a few stucks and a pop out. Most of the refusals were nicely self recovered under great instructions from @Foxtrot Oscarand @Niki. Thanks also to @Janarthan for leading a superb drive 😀

Fantastic to meet everyone as usual!

Couple of pics in the gallery. 😊

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

First and Foremost I would like to thank @@Janarthan for taking us to a fantastic place, @Foxtrot Oscar for her heartily laugh in any situation and @Nikifor generously spraying my transmission radiator when my tenperature was high.

This was my first newbie drive and what a blast.

I loved the more sustained pace and the extra challenge, which I am happy the car was able to handle. As for the driver I learned

1. You MUST be concentrated at all time. The 3 refusal I had came 2 in a moment when I was chatting with my wife. The third one shortly after we all congratulated ourselves for the ride before climbing the last hill. Lesson learn no more. 

2. Keep your distance. While I believe I did well there I had one refusal when the car in front of me had a bit of difficulties ridging and I did not notice (distraction) so I had to stop in a spot where I could not go forward anymore. 

3. I still need to tune in the momentum and acceleration when coming off ridges on the soft side. I had it right most of the time. I noticed that it is better when, instead of lifting completely the gas when momentum is sufficient you keep some throttle. This requires less initial momentum and to fine tune your feet. I have it in my brain now, I assume practice will melas me improve this sensitivity. 

4. My transmission temperature acted up. Thanks all for the patience. This is the first time it happens. I am gonna have my car checked. 

5. Climbing. I might be light, but my gear acts up when climbing in a way I have not figure out yet so I often change gear when I do not want to whether in full auto or tiptronic. I guess I will need to climb more. What I am happy to see, and my wife too, is that I never  fought gravity and I manage to steer down before I feel the momentum is gone allowing me to safely point my front wheel down before is too late. 

6. I am particularly happy with my instinct in one refusal where I could not ridge, right so I went left following gravity instead of fighting it. 

In all I self recovered in alll occasion. I am happy about the small MOD I made. I can see the lift and the tire make a difference in the newbie drives. 

One last word about tire pressure. I start my drives at 11, I finish above 12. Should I start at 10 (without having a pop up) as I decently noticed I tend to have more refusal toward the last third of the drives. 

Thanks all for the great drive and the patience with my transmission :-)

A special mention to our second lead, ready to climb mountains to land an Hand!  @TT_Dubai

P.S.

I can freely share all the full res picture is anyone is interested. 

20210917-_NR_3836.jpg

20210917-_NR_3848.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use